Author Topic: children's home or hospital Dunoon 50s, 60s  (Read 17190 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: children's home or hospital Dunoon 50s, 60s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 April 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
Wow, great result!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daniel Reilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Museum Man,
Thank you so  much for this. I was beginning to doubt myself. I'll make a point of visiting the museum next time I am in Dunoon. Cheers.

Daniel

Offline Mary brown sneddon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel my sister and I were there in the 60s it was a terrible place ran by nuns my husband took me there a couple of years ago to try and locate it but it has been demolished and is now a police station it was a charity run by quarriers it was called Catherine Mary home I only remembered it because my sister was Catherine and I was Mary how weird was that we were from carntyne in Glasgow hope this helps

Offline amanda doherty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for information on any one who was in the dunclutha children's home in the 60's. My dad and his 2 brothers and one sister were put in to the home. My dads name is George Smith.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Brian McKechnie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I attended the Catherine Mary home in the early 1960s. It was run by a lovely couple who were very kind to me as a wee 5 year old. It was run in conjunction with a charity to provide holidays for children whose families could not afford the cost of a family break. I went to Dunoon a few years ago. The building is still there, though it looks smaller than I remember it. It was still there 5 years ago. I went a couple of years in a row and had a pleasant time as a small child.

Offline museum man 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Have not had time to fully check this out but am sure the one you are talking about is what is now known as Ellis Lodge. It is small and very close to where the Catherine Mary Homes were. It might even have been connected. I have a picture of it somewhere with the name of the organisation you are talking about on it. Will post again when I am more sure.

Offline Jammo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 August 19 11:45 BST (UK) »
It was the Catherine Mary children's home. I was sent there in1951 when I was 9 years old. It was a truly dreadful place run by sadistic staff. The memory of my time spent at that place still haunts me to this day.

Offline Gordon Bucher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, regarding Dunclutha Children's Home. We have a Facebook page called " Dunclutha Children's Home"..if you join the group a lot of people may be able to assist with any search that you may have.

Offline AJSully

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 December 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
An email I received today ironically refers to a previous shipmate from the USS Sam Houston regarding what was then a child and his desire to locate him. I will attach the article from our ships newsletter of the time. The child, who was probably 5 or 6, name was Angus Naylor.

Excerpt from today's email: in the text of the piece, Jim Terrel wrote to the effect that while he couldn't put names with the faces of the men that organized the event, he could remember the name of the child he hosted that day: Angus Naylor."

This has struck a cord not only with the sailors involved in the event but the rest of us who served aboard the Sam Houston.

Any information would be appreciated.