Author Topic: McDERMID / McDIARMID  (Read 30647 times)

Offline Craigspuir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDERMID / McDIARMID
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 March 11 13:45 GMT (UK) »
There are details of this family to be found on mullgenealogy.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Ian webmaster mullgenealogy.co.uk

Offline ozymozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi sancti

I have a John McDermid married to Margaret McNaughton c1790.

Their son Archibald was born in Ardchattan c1790. He married Mary Tyson in Muckairn 1814. Archibald died in Kilmuir 1870

I have an Archibald John McDiarmid born 5 Dec 1791 at Ardchattan who married Mary Tyson on 4 Jan 1814. My records show his parents as James McDiarmid and Mary McConnel.

I wonder if he is the same person.
Fraser, Hall, Mackay, McColl, Paine, Ronneberg, Thomson, Weir.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 07 May 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate giving his parents names as I posted

Offline ozymozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 May 11 04:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply sancti.

I think the names and dates are too close for there not to be some sort of connection. My information came from a great aunt many, many years ago and should to be taken at face value.

I would be interested to see his death certificate because it may provide other useful information.
Fraser, Hall, Mackay, McColl, Paine, Ronneberg, Thomson, Weir.

Offline mmdavis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 June 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
EDO!!!!!! Just found your post. Hope you still check back after all this time. I am a direct decendant of Donald and Mary McDermid [McDiarmid] who came to Australia on the George Fyfe in 1839. Their son Huge[Ewan] was my great great grandfather. I even have a photo of him. I have only recently started searching the net for info on my ancestors for fun, not seriously.  I have a second cousin who has done the family tree and he arranged a family reunion at Wingham NSW about 13 yrs ago. Wingham is where Donald and Mary settled when they came here. The farm house is still there but other people live in it. I have found websites with a bit of info on them which I was quite shocked about as I did not know that my family's details were so readily available. The cousin who lives in Newcastle NSW would have loads of info. Reply if you still visit this site.

My great great great grandfather was also Ewan [Hugh] McDermid.  At the moment I am trying to find out more about Mary Stewart and her parents. I think her father was Hugh but I'm not sure about her mother. Do you have any infomation on her.

Offline inveryes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 December 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have an Isabella McDermid marrying a David Galbraith in 1859 in Campbeltown.
Wright, Glasgow
McCabe, Glasgow
Connelly, Glasgow and Cavan
Muirhead, Glasgow and Cavan
McNab and Galbraith, Kintyre

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 November 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have already posted a similar reply in the Invernesshire threads ~ sorry ,stupid mistake  ::)

Anyway I am a McDiarmid/McDermid desendant .I have a census 1851 and if anyone has anymore info on this branch ,it would be amazing to me ! The 1851 census shows Lachlan McLaren head aged 42 or 47 ,his wife Catherine (unsure of her maiden name either McMillan or MacDonald ,i think )then  their 4 children May 22,Hugh20,Lachlan10 and Christy 7 ~ Christy also known as Christina is my great great grandmother . Lachlan snr,his wife Catherine and their daughter Mary were all born in Appin .Hugh ,Lachlan jnr and Christy (Christina ) were all born Morvern . My great great grandmother Christy married Archibald McDiarmid/McDermid .They moved to Bonhill and became the parents to my great grandfather Hugh McDiarmid/McDermid .Hugh married an Irish girl Mary Doyle  1902 and they became the parents of my gran Chrissy (Christina )  McDiarmid/McDermid b 1904 . My grandmother Chrissy married my grandfather Andrew (Andy) Connelly in 1923 ,they had my Dad Hugh McDiarmid Connelly in 1943 ,I was born 1971 my middle name is Christina . Any info on the  McLaren or McDiarmid branches from Appin / Morvern would be most welcome and lovely to learn about . Thanks X

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 May 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of  MacDermids from Cumbuslang Lanarkshire . Duncan b1830 and Agnes nee McFarlane     
their3rd  son Malcom Mcdermid married Jeannie nee Kyle

they had 10 children including my grandfather Thomas Macdermid b1903

grandad's brother Andrew b1891 also married Elizabeth nee Macdiarmid  so there is a connection to another branch of a variant spelling .

I wonder if anyone else is connected to these branches
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline whoameye59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I can help
Haven't got far with my family research. My 2nd great grandfather was Ewen (Hugh) Macdiarmid born 29/7/1827 in  Ardnamurchan Argyll Scotland. His father Donald was 33 and his mother Mary Stewart was 34. Donald Mcdermid died on 19th October 1910 at Palmers Island Clarence River NSW Australia.
Lorretta