Author Topic: Graigue mystery.  (Read 9818 times)

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graigue mystery.
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows in what parish "graigue" would have been located in the 1850's?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graigue mystery.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
See www.thecore.com/seanruad to look for townlands and parishes in Ireland (you may have to search for part of the word to get the correct spelling- just remember to change the default setting from 'exact match').
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Valkrane,
If the Graigue you are researching is on the Carlow border with Laois (and it sounds like it is) then it can be complicated.  The area was renamed in the 1920s as Graigue-cullen (after the much loved priest Fr Cullen).   Before that it was known as Sleaty Graigue and Carlow Graigue, the reasoning being that Sleaty Graigue (known in census as Graigue rural)was in Queens Co (now Laois) and Carlow Graigue (known in the census returns as Graigue urban)was in Co Carlow.   
So when searching on the census try both counties and be open to the spelling variations.  My family have lived in various parts of Sleaty Street and Sleaty Road going back to 1820s (earliest I can trace!) and I have found ancestors  in both counties even though physically, the house locations were only about 800 metres apart.
If you want to give me a name, I can do a quick search for you.  (you can pm me with your e-mail if you prefer) 
regards
Irishrose

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi irishrose,
Thanks for the response it's a tricky one alright. The family I'm looking for is Elliott in particular the parents of Bernard Elliott born in Graigue around 1853.

Any help you can give would be greatly apreciated!!

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Valkrane,
Just  checking  a different vein here.  Do you know what religion your Bernard Eliiott was or either of his parents name?
Is it possible they were Church of Ireland?
regards
Irishrose

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi irishrose,
My Bernard Elliott declares himself as catholic in the 1911 census. His wifes name was Eliza mason and they are living in Dublin at this time. 1901 is a bust in terms of the census as there are no returns for pim street wherehe is living in 1911... I have also tried spelling variants and the uk census too for this time. I don't have either of his parents names and no other info on him at all. Sorry I'm no help!!

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Valkane
I have checked the Church of Ireland records for Carlow, and there are a number of Elliotts  -children of James and Eliza, - baptised in Killeshin Church of Ireland (which believe it or not is in Graigue - actually I got married there)  James is a farm stewart at Hollymount outside Carlow. Unfortunately there is no Bernard that I can see, but the families may be related.
There is another family of Elliott in Clogrennan which is also just outside Graigue but again no luck with Bernard.   I will try Griffiths valuation from 1851 and see if there are any hits there with this surname.
regards
Irishrose

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Irishrose you are a star!! I've gotten so far back with most branches of my family tree but this guy is a mystery.

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 October 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I think the Elliotts living in this area were definitely Church of Ireland. I have located a Samuel Elliot in Crossneen in the Griffiths Valuation of 1850.  This was a post famine survey carried out to find out who owned or was leasing land at that time.  Because almost 2 million people had either died or emigrated during the huge famine of 1847, there was a need to find out who the current land occupiers were.   Although it would  only give the  occupier and no family details it was still a valuable source of information regarding family  name distribution.       Samuel Elliot was leasing a house, offices, land, limestone quarry and kiln from James HH Hamilton esq at Crossneen.  I have checked the map ref accompanying  this and he would have been less than a half mile from Graigue.   Interestingly, he gave his Parish as Killeshin, and the Killeshin Church of Ireland parish church is located in Graigue.  I have gone through all the graveyard records for the adjoining cemetery but I haven't found him but there are two possible explanations for this.  There are a number of headstones missing from section B (which would be one of the older sections) or he could have been buried at Cloydagh, a sister parish which would also have been close by.

Hope this is of some help to you
regards     Irishrose