Author Topic: John Timmins & Kate O'Grady  (Read 8767 times)

Offline SamCan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Timmins & Kate O'Grady
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 05:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my great great grandfather and his family from Carlow, Ireland.  John was born in 1852 in County Carlow, Ireland.  John listed his parents as “unknown” on all of his documentation here in New Zealand and I have not been able to find any information on him prior to him arriving in New Zealand.  John Timmins was an assisted immigrant to New Zealand in 1875, when he was 23 years old.  He was listed as a single male, from Carlow, Ireland, and his occupation was farm laborer.  John has listed his religion on his New Zealand documentation as Roman Catholic. 

John married Kate O’Grady on the 17th of March 1879 at St Mary's Church, Hamilton East, New Zealand.  Kate was born on the 25th of December 1858, in Kerry, Ireland to John and Mary O’Grady.  Kate would have been about 8 years old, in around 1866, when she came to New Zealand from Ireland with her parents.  Other than Kate's parent's names nothing is known about them. ???

John and Kate had 10 children named, Patrick Francis Timmins, Alicia Timmins, John Timmins, Michael James Timmins, Edward Joseph Timmins, Eugene Timmins, William Timmins, Thomas Percy Timmins, Charles Patrick Timmins and Ernest Leslie Timmins.

John died on the 21st of November 1918 in Somerstown, Te Aroha, New Zealand and his wife, Kate died on the on the 12th of August 1954 in Auckland, New Zealand.
Arthur, Marshall, Kennington, O'Grady, Timmins, McPherson
O'Donnell, Hollis, Allen, Marshall

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Timmins & Kate O'Grady
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,a couple of questions about the family you seek.Where did you get Kate's parents names from and are you certain they immigrated in 1866? I ask because I have found a family that matches well with Kate O'Gradys except the mother is not Mary its Honora.Also,looking at the names of their children,all these names are found within the family I have found.

Immigration:
to:Auckland,New Zealand
ship:Apelles
dep:1877
arrival:27 Jan 1878

John O'Gready age:44 born:co Kerry occ:labourer
Honora O'Gready age:42
Michael O'Gready age:18
Kate O'Gready age:16
Patrick O'Gready age:13
Eugene O'Gready age:11
Nora O'Gready age:5

John O'Grady was 1st married to Ellen Quirk on 1 November 1851 in the parish of Glenbeigh/Glencar.

Michael O'Grady
bap:19 Aug 1853
address:Kealduffe
parents:John Grady/Ellen Quirk
sponsors:Daniel Grady/Julia Riordan

Ellen died giving birth or shortly thereafter.

Then John O'Grady marries Honora Shea of Keelnabrack on 4 November 1855 in parish of Glenbeigh/Glencar.witnesses were Patrick Riordan/Patrick Moriarty.

The first child of John's marriage to Honora was technically born out of wedlock.

Mary Grady
address:Keelnabrack
father:John Grady
mother:Honora Shea
parish:Glenbeigh/Glencar
date of baptism: 1 February 1855
sponsors:Denis Grady/Catherine Shea

Catherine Gready
address:Keelnabrack  parish:Glenbeigh/Glencar
parents:John Gready/Honora Shea
date of baptism:17 December 1858
sponsors:Michael -----/Catharine -------

James Gready
date of baptism:11 July 1859
sponsors:John Gready/Ellen Gready

John Gready
date of baptism:11 May 1862
sponsors:Dermot Sullivan/Julia Sweeney

Patrick Grady
parents:John Grady/Johanna Shea
date of baptism:8 February 1863
sponsors:John Murphy/Mary Griffin

Eugene Grady
parents:John Grady/Honora Shea
date of baptism: 16 August 1865
sponsors:Dermot Riordan/Catherine Riordan

Mary Grady
parents:John Grady/Hanora Shea
date of baptism:9 May 1868
sponsors:Patrick Shea/Johanna Connor

John O'Grady
parents:John O'Grady/Honora Shea
date of baptism: 7 June 1870
sponsors:John Murphy/Mary Grady

Johanna Gready
parents:John Gready/Johanna Shea
date of baptism:13 October 1873
sponsors:Thomas Sugrue/Catherine Gready

this may be birth of Honora:

Hanora Shea
address:Teenaligaune  parish:Glenbeigh/Glencar
parents:Patrick Shea/Hanora Brosnan
date of baptism:1 October 1831
sponsors:Denis Shea/Mary Brosnan

If you look on the website irishgenealogy.ie and plug into Kerry you can see all of these and all the family relations for Kate as well.The names of her children run through her and John's families.Hope this helps,Kim p.s. will look about for John Timmins 

Offline SamCan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply!  :)

I got Kate's parents names from her death certificate.  I also estimated her arrival in New Zealand from the years she had been living in New Zealand listed on her death certificate. 

I have come across the family you have mentioned and did notice that there are common names.

On John and Kate's marriage certificate the witnesses are: Michael O'Grady (a carpenter from Ngaruawahia) and Mary O'Connor (a servant from Hamilton).

Thanks Candice
Arthur, Marshall, Kennington, O'Grady, Timmins, McPherson
O'Donnell, Hollis, Allen, Marshall

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Candice,if I may ask who was the informant on her death cert as many times the information given is not correct. I looked at births for Catherine O'Grady with mother Mary and found 2 but in both instances the years were quite off and the families left for the U.S. Also,did you try to find info on Michael O'Grady? It is possible that he may be her brother and you could compare info to see if it matches up. As to John Timmins I have found a few births and when I check a couple of other places will send them to you so you can see what you think.Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again,thus far I have located 4 baptisms for John Timmins in Carlow.

parish:Killeshin
1 November 1846
John Timmons
parents:Michael Timmins/Elizabeth Campion

parish:Tinryland
25 March 1849
John Timmons
parents:Michael Timmins/Catherine Gall

7 June 1849
John Timmons
parents:John Timmons/Betty Cummins

14 July 1850
John Timmons
parents:William Timmons/Sally Whitaker

I will check my St Mullins and Borris registers next and see if there are any there.If you look at the Griffiths Valuation for Carlow 1848-1864 the Timmins' were in the following areas: Tullowphelim,St Mullins,Wells,Urglin,Lorum,Myshall,Nurney,OldLeighlin,sliguff,Killinane,Ardistan,Kellistown,Carlow,Ballinacarrig,Clonmore,Fennagh and Clonmelsh.The largest concentrations were in Carlow and St Mullins.I will get back to you again once I check St Mullins registers. Kim

Offline Roseagh_NZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 20 23:35 GMT (UK) »
John and Kate are my GGGParents, my father is Patrick Donald Timmins, son of Cecil Harold, son of Patrick Francis. I'd love to have more information on this side of my family tree as my father did quite extensive research of the branches that were put down in NZ.

I currently live in Wellington and am happy to chat with any one.

Offline JosephOTimmins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 November 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello my name is Joseph Timmins, I was doing some research on my family ancestors, and came across these posts.

I have information of my family tree from a Patrick D Timmins Thames New Zealand.

Patrick has made this family tree, and now I want to know more, as it is interesting,!and it's a complete match.

My father name is Owen James Timmins born 3 April, 1942, and died 24 August 2006, and his mother name is Elise Gladys Timmins born 6 s  1924 and died 8 April 1982 Auckland.

My father immigrated to Australia and met my mother Ann Doyle and got married  in Sydney 17 April 1971

Elise Father is Patrick F Timmins and  Mother Winifred A Labrum which is my Great Grand parents.

Patrick F Timmins Parents are John and Kate Timmins from Ireland. As I said I have extended information, and would like to talk more, please respond.

Kind regards Joseph Timmins