Author Topic: Anderson/Blyth - Neilston and Greenock  (Read 3340 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson/Blyth - Neilston and Greenock
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Birth records for Margaret Anderson b 1826 m David Blyth 1853 in Greenock.  She may have the middle name of Robertson. Census says she was born in Neilston.  Marriage cert says father's name was Thomas.  Death cert says mother's name was Mary Batley/Eatley/Catley (difficult to read).  I can find no record of Margaret's birth.  1851 census shows visitors to the home of Agnes Anderson (sister) though I suspect Sister in law, and David Anderson, both from Neilston.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson/Blyth - Neilston and Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've checked the 1841 index for Neilston and can find no trace of either Margaret Anderson of the right age group or David Anderson

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for checking.  I guess being born in Neilston doesn't mean they continued to live there.  Any thoughts on where to look next?
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 06 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Given the marriage in Greenock it is possible that the whole family moved in that direction.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
It's a long time since we communicated on this and I've only just picked up the pieces of my research after a number of years.  I discovered a birth in Neilson of Margaret to Thomas Manderson.  I am convinced this is the same family.  The mother's name is alternatively given as Mary Batley/Aetley/Otley.  I intend to dig further into the possible siblings of Margaret so try and establish the link.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
A blast from the past ...  ;) :D ;D

The 1841 index for Neilston doesn't show any Thomas & Mary Anderson together .... there are only two men Thomas Anderson who would appear to be of "fatherable" age Thomas age 48 a Road Surveyor living in Neilston Village but the index seems to show his wife is Elizabeth. The second Thomas is age 36 a Cotton Carder living in Crofthead but his wife appears to be named Ann.

The problem with census records is that they are only a snapshot of that particular day/night and don't nececessarily tie a family down to one specific location for an extended period of time. Neilston was also an area with a  bust & boom economy with the mills and bleachworks attracting people from all over while there was work and losing them just as quickly when the work dried up.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 08:05 BST (UK) »
It's been a long time, but back to this problem.  Update:  Margaret Robertson Anderson b Thomas Manderson and Mary Aetley (variously, Hatley, Otley, Etley, even Aitken).  Marriage Manderson/Hatley 4 Sep 1802 Neilston. Other children: Agnes 1803, Thomas 1805, Adam 1807, John 1810, Mary 1812, William 1817, Margaret 1818.  Later records are in the name of Anderson.  Father Thomas deceased by 1853 when Margaret married David Blyth. On marriage, father described as late joiner of East Greenock.  Her death notice has him as a labourer.  Only death record that fits Thomas is 1837 in Neilston in ?Uplayman (definitely a "y" so not Uplawmoor).  1861 census, Margaret has visitors William, Agnes, and David.  William and Agnes are siblings; David is a cousin from Dundee.  I found an Alexander Anderson and Margaret Robertson living in Dundee.  Alexander has a brother Thomas (possibly my Thomas).  My Margaret could have been called for this aunt (hence the middle name Robertson).  In 1841, sister Agnes (now McCallum) is living in Old Kilpatrick.  There are three younger Andersons: William 20, Margaret 18, and Agnes 10.  The first two might be her siblings, but I can't really place them.  It's possible both parents are dead and
Agnes, as the oldest daughter, has assumed responsibility for the children, though the younger Agnes is a mystery. 
I've always appreciated the thoughts of all the slewths out there.  Would welcome any thoughts.