Author Topic: Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. around 1785 Leominster  (Read 10320 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. around 1785 Leominster
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

If anyone has any information or knows where I can search for any facts about my ancestor, Elizabeth. She married William Vickress in 1811 in Hope-under-Dinmore (his place of birth), but apparently she came from Leominster, and was born around 1785-1790. Sadly I haven't been able to find her birth nor her parents' names. When she married her last name was Gatehouse, but I have found no trace at all of a family with that surname; perhaps she had been married previously? I know she died in 1875 and had 12 children, so lived a long life and must have been a strong woman to bear so have so many babies, but her origins are a complete mystery to me. Any help/guidance will be appreciated! :)

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. around 1785 Leominster
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few Gatehouse baptisms and marriages here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/

including Elizabeth baptised 7th April 1760 daughter of John and Mary.  Could she have been older?  There is a younger Elizabeth, and one Elizabeth Vickress age 20 in Leominster in 1841 (daughter?)
This lot are probably all related.

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello RCB, thanks for taking the time to search! I don't think my Elizabeth and the Elizabeth born in 1760 are the same one, for want of a better reason because my Elizabeth started having children in 1811 (at least with William Vickress) and had her last child in 1834, plus she died in 1875 so she would have been a supercentenarian by then...

As for Elizabeth Vickress being 20 in 1841 I think it must be her daughter Elizabeth who was actually born in 1816 (the dates and ages of that generation are a bit shacky but I've managed to trace them all by now).

To me there are two things which are puzzling; first, that there is apparently no birth record of Elizabeth Gatehouse dating from around 1785-1790 (at least that I've seen so far). The second is that perhaps Elizabeth was actually married to a Mr Gatehouse before marrying William Vickress. I know it's before the appearance of birth records but how difficult would it be to trace the death of a Mr Gatehouse circa 1810 and his own marriage to Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) previously?

Best regards :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 11 14:47 GMT (UK) »
You could spend a few days in the records office in Hereford.   But all those Gatehouse's will be your family, the name isn't common.  30 or so in Herefordshire in 1841 and most in the Leominster area.
I did check some marriages to see if anyone married Elizabeth, you could try other parishes in the area.  Good luck

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RCB, I actually visited the Herefordshire Records Office last September when I visited England. I live in Spain actually so I suppose it'll take some time before I go back there, but the people there were so kind that I might consider writing to them and asking them if they can have a glimpse at the parish records. Unfortunately at the time I went there I knew very little about Elizabeth Gatehouse and had very little time to search. Can users post requests for people to check the Herefordshire Records Office on Rootschat, do you know?

Best regards!

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes people who use the records office often offer to do a look up.  I have to go back to Hereford during the summer.  One thing, the Forest of Dean site which lists some Gatehouse BMD for Ledbury, Newent, and Dymock  They aren't that far from Leominster, a pity that Leominster parish didn't border Gloucestershire then it would all be there for you to search on line.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hey Cimbrio,

Just noticed that Litmarsh Farm is up for sale with local estate agent Nicholas Craddock http://www.nicholas-craddock.co.uk/details.asp?sections=1&office=1&propid=2641

I think this was where some of the Vickress family lived, so this might be the last chance to contact them if you haven't already (plus you can have a nosy at the pictures!)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. c. 1785 Leominster
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Just reviving this post, and this mystery, which has never been solved.

I'm still no the lookout for Elizabeth Gatehouse. Her ages in the censuses, all showing her living in Hope-under-Dinmore, are:
1841: 50 (born +- 1791 in "county")
1851: 60 (born +- 1791 in Hope)
1861: 76 (born +- 1785 in Leominster)
1871: 87 (born +- 1784 in "Out Parish of Leominster")

Elizabeth died in January 1875 aged 90, so again, born +- 1784/1785.

The variation of birth dates makes me believe Elizabeth was born between 1784 and 1791 at the latest. I have not seen her marriage certificate, which may contain her father's name. I have not found any marriages in Leominster of a couple who may have been her parents except the one between Henry Gatehouse and Mary West, which took place on 22 January 1791 in Leominster.

I have only scored blanks on Ancestry, and I'm still going through FamilySearch. Does anyone know if findmypast has Leominster's baptism records of around that time?

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 September 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
Posting in the hope of reviving this post - Elizabeth Gatehouse continues to be one of my main brickwalls.

With the information published above, could anyone visiting the Hereford Records Office anytime soon perhaps look for her baptism in Leominster around c. 1785?

I live outside the UK and therefore can't access the records easily.

Thank you!
Cimbrio