Author Topic: Help with military address in India  (Read 729 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help with military address in India
« on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can provide me with any information at all, about the following location particularly around 1927:

Head Quarters
Northern Command
Raural Pinai
India

Bit of random question, but I'm trying to track down a writer of a letter dated 11 December 1927.  I have just put a post on the decipher board as I cannot clearly read the signature of the writer, so I thought that perhaps if I knew more about where he was located, I might be able to track him down.  From what I can gather he was originally from Dorset.

Anyway, bit of an odd request, but if you don't ask....

Many thanks for looking.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with military address in India
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Often written as Rawal Pindi- read section on British Rule-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawalpindi#British_rule
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I would never have found that in a million years!

I'm going to ask but I think I know the answer, but is there a way of tracking down a chap of unknown regiment or rank, that may have the surname Turner in 1927?  The only bit of factual information I have is that he was from Dorset.

At least I have another piece of the puzzle for which I'm extremely grateful!

Many thanks!
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

If he was an officer he should be listed in the 1927 Army List. Some of these have been put on line. Otherwise you will have to find someone who is going to the National Archives. If he was an 'other rank' working as (say) a servant to an officer, he will not be listed.

Ken

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying Ken.  At this stage I don't even have a definite name as the only information we have is a letter and we can't accurately read his surname.  ::)

Thank you for the clue, hopefully I will be able to do as you suggest.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated!

Caroline