Author Topic: Mackintosh, Inverness  (Read 16960 times)

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mackintosh, Inverness
« on: Tuesday 19 April 11 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for some information on illegitimate births in Inverness. My great grandfather Richard Mellon was illegitimate and his mother was Isabella Mackintosh (though she never acknowledge he was her's). However I have been told by family that his birth was not registered so am finding it difficult to find out any more information. The census states that he was born in England. Looking at various census records between 1881 and 1911 I have discovered since that there are a number of what looks to be illegitimate children in the family but haven't been able to find any more information. On the 1881 census (LDS transcript) I have:

- 2 Lotland Place, Inverness
Ann Mackintosh, Head, Widowed, 60, Labourer's Widow, born Inverness
Ann Mackintosh, Daur, Unmarried, 20, Housekeeper, born Inverness
Isabella Mackintosh, Daur, Unmarried, 18, born Inverness
Edith Radnor, Grand Daur, Unmarried, 5, born Pemberton, Lancashire

1901 - Lotland Place, Inverness
William Fraser, Head, Widower, aged 61, Inverness, Inverness
James Fraser, Son, Single, aged 29, Butcher, Inverness, Inverness
Catherine Mackintosh, Sister-in-law, Single, aged 47, Housekeeper, Inverness, Inverness
Isabella Mackintosh, Sister-in-law, Single, 22, Inverness, Inverness
Richard Mellon, Boarder, 4, England
Nora Mellon, Boarder, Single, aged 20, England

Turns out they had a sister called Georgina who married William Fraser. I'm wondering who the other Isabella Mackintosh is as it seems improbable they would have two daughters with the same name. Finally in 1911 (Lotland Place) I have:

James Fraser, Head, 36, Single, Butcher at Slaughter House, Inverness, Inverness
Catherine Mackintosh, Aunt, 55, Single, Housekeeper, Inverness, Inverness
Edith Mackintosh, Cousin, 26, Single, Laundress at Hotel, England
Richard Mellon, Boarder, 15, Servant, England
Isabella Mackintosh, Cousin, 1 month, Inverness, Inverness
Annie Mackintosh, Cousin, 5, School, Inverness, Inverness

I'm wondering if the Edith Mackintosh in 1911 is the same Edith Radnor from 1881 although the ages are out. I so far haven't been able to find information on either Edith, Annie Mackintosh or the young Isabella. Does anyone have any advice about where to look? Thanks very much for your help,

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline Lisanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh, Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia
I've just joined this site. The Mackintoshes who lived in Lotland Place were my ancestors. I have gaps in info too with 'missing' births and death. Was your great grandfather's mother the 22 year old Isabella Mackintosh? (As opposed to the Isabella born around 1862.) Where does Nora Mellon fit in?
I think that Edith Radnor was also Edith Mackintosh but she was born around 1876 so as you say the ages are different.
Lisanne

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia
I've just joined this site. The Mackintoshes who lived in Lotland Place were my ancestors. I have gaps in info too with 'missing' births and death. Was your great grandfather's mother the 22 year old Isabella Mackintosh? (As opposed to the Isabella born around 1862.) Where does Nora Mellon fit in?
I think that Edith Radnor was also Edith Mackintosh but she was born around 1876 so as you say the ages are different.
Lisanne

Dear Lisanne,
Thanks for contacting me. This is really interesting! I haven't had much luck with the Mackintoshes so would love to share information with you. Isabella Mackintosh is my great grandfather's mother. I don't know much about her yet, except that she worked at the Temperence Hotel. I'm curious about Edith Radnor too and I think your theory that she was also Edith Mackintosh makes a lot of sense; as I had thought this too. How are you connected to the Mackintoshes?

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline Lisanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia
Ann Mackintosh (born 1860) was my great grandmother. My grandmother died when my mother was small and my grandfather remarried so my mother didn't grow up around her mother's family. However, she later became close to her Aunt Ina, her mother's eldest sister. Ina was born illegitimate (she thought her father had been a soldier who had gone away/been killed but this may or may not have been true). Ann had 4 other children, my grandmother being the youngest. John Gillanders was named as her 'husband' and the father but I've never been able to find a marriage for them.  I've also never found entries for births of 2 children, John(y) and Nell although they definitely existed as I have followed other events in their lives and when I was small Nell used to occasionally visit Ina.
My late mum's knowledge of her maternal family was sketchy and this was one of the reasons that I started looking into the family history about 10 years ago now and have dipped in and out since as other commitments have allowed. She did remember Ina talking about Auntie Belle who ran the temperance inn. From my research I believe it was the Ship Inn, Invergordon. I never heard any mention of Belle having a child but then you say that she didn't acknowledge her son in any case.
Is this the 'correct'Isabella? From my info she would be around 35 when Richard was born.  What about the 22 year old Isabella in 1901? Is this a different person? I don't know where Catherine fits in to the family either. I presume that the head of that household is Georgina's widower.
Hope this is of interest to you. Will be pleased to share further info.
Lisanne

Offline Lisanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia
I don't know whether the message I sent a few nights ago got through so I'll repeat the info anyway.
At some time in the past I looked up the death entry for Isabella and thats how I got the address of the Ship Inn. Isabella died aged 82 in 1944. I jotted down notes and recorded the informant as being Flora Millon (friend). I'm now wondering if that was actually Mellon, Flora or Nora?
I believe that Georgina and William Fraser had more children but 4 of them died, 3 of illness as babies and one boy was drowned aged 7. They are buried in the Chapel Yard, Inverness.
Lisanne

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia
I don't know whether the message I sent a few nights ago got through so I'll repeat the info anyway.
At some time in the past I looked up the death entry for Isabella and thats how I got the address of the Ship Inn. Isabella died aged 82 in 1944. I jotted down notes and recorded the informant as being Flora Millon (friend). I'm now wondering if that was actually Mellon, Flora or Nora?
I believe that Georgina and William Fraser had more children but 4 of them died, 3 of illness as babies and one boy was drowned aged 7. They are buried in the Chapel Yard, Inverness.
Lisanne

Dear Lisanne, I have sent you a message so it should be in your inbox. Look forward to hearing again from you :)

- Lucia

Offline kerima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »
hi my mum knew richard mellon, she thought he was her cousin she lived at the ship hotel with her mother. my mothers name was betty mackintosh [elizabeth] her mother was isabella mackintosh could have been frazer.i live in derbyshire england my mother sadly passed away in 2005 aged 79 she mentioned richard on a number of occasions.
my mother was illegitimate too her real mother isabella frazer lived in inverness and married john holme. they had children  john, peter and edith she went to new zealand.
i would love to see a photo of isabella from the ship inn. there is a lady in invergordon, if she is still alive called lila ross who knew my mothers family, also there was a mellon girl who worked in the bakery on the high st. if you can give me any of your information it would be amazing to hear from you, it looks like we are related, :)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Just incase you dont already have this:

1871 Census - Lotland Row

Duncan Mackintosh   53 Labourer   b Inverness
Ann Mackintosh   48 wife           b Inverness
Hugh Mackintosh   15 Son            b Inverness
Ann Mackintosh   11 Dau            b Inverness
Isabella Mackintosh   8   Dau            b Inverness