Author Topic: Newbie - what happens after c. 1901?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline snaggletooth

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbie - what happens after c. 1901?
« on: Tuesday 07 March 06 10:22 GMT (UK) »
G'day to everyone

I see and use all the English census material up to 1901...but where do I look to find family data past that date?

Paul
Australia

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie - what happens after c. 1901?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
hello, Paul,

Apart from sitting patiently waiting for the 1911 census to come on line Jan 1st 1912 2012, one way to find more about the ones you do know is to try to trace them from the Civil Registration Indexes for Births, Marriages & Deaths.  These are available online at a Pay to View site www.1837online.com    &
www.ancestry.co.uk   
which at the moment is free.

This is helped by the Mother's maiden name being included in the birth entries from Sept. 1911 &  Spouse's names included in the marriage entries from 1912.

For those who are able to visit ROs & who know some addresses there are Electoral Rolls, but these only include men over the age of 21 until 1918 when women over the age of 30 were included.  Women over the age of 21 were included after 1928.

So cheer's to lots of happy hours of bottom numbing sitting trawling thro pages of indexes 'till you find the one you want.(hopefully the right one)

Lots of luck & have fun, but don't be afraid to post any queries, you never know who know what in the Roostchat gang.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline snaggletooth

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, right, 1912  ???

I hesitate to use ancestry.co.uk - just my galloping neuroses, I suppose, but they don't do all this out of the goodness of their heart (ducks incoming flames).

I'm spoiled to some extent by the relative ease (pun intended) of finding stuff here in Oz. Deaths and marriages are easy to come by up to the quite late 1900s, and births up to the 1930s in some places. A Scottish inheritance, I believe (ducks more flames!)

Looks like its time to flash the plastic - thanks for the tips.

Paul
Australia

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Depending where you're searching, cemetery records can be quite a good help - I've never had any luck with them for the London ancestors since finding London burials is quite a task but for the Cornish lot I've had great luck (and many have been indexed by the Cornwall FHS, www.familyhistoryonline.net has them online, as well as burials for other areas). 

Directories - www.historicaldirectories.org - can help depending on what occupations your family had, good for finding addresses for people - some of the London ones go up to 1919.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ - the official newspaper of record, now online.  Things like bankruptcies, awarding of medals, estate notifications, etc.  Never found any of mine here but have found other people's. :P

Depending on how common the surname is, it might be worth checking www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline and www.cwgc.org for military records/war deaths.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk