Author Topic: Information Thomas P Coughlan-Mary Dunne Coughlan ca 1881  (Read 10421 times)

Offline heartman48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information Thomas P Coughlan-Mary Dunne Coughlan ca 1881
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
PatB71 - I can't thank you enough for your efforts.  This may be my grandmother since I can find no other Margaret or Maggie Coughlan coming to the States in 1899.  The birth date in the census does not match up according to our family records and my grandmother's obituary, but that could be some sort of clerical record.  I've had another contact also suggest her birth record in Ireland shows Dec. 1880.  This detective work is new to me and quite fun.  Thanks again.  Tom White

Offline ndfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother, Bridget Coughlan, was born 1847 in the lock house. House is occupied by same family, now 5th generation. Father was John Coughlan; mother ?Mary? Bridget could have been sister to Thomas.
The lock house was near the Laois border. She married Michael foster in 1864 in the (now beautifully preserved) St Michael's RC church in Monastereven. They lived in Lea Portarlington laois and had 13 children, several of whom lived in/around New Haven, CT.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
My brother was researching the derelict lock house at Stacumny (Paynes Lock House) and found that the minute books for the Grand Canal are stored in the National Archives,and was able to document the occupants of same through these,the same may apply to your family's lock house.
These books start in mid to late 1700s and record all sort of incidents on the canal,contracts for horses,fines for late barges ,prosecutions for fishing etc,but takes a great deal of research if you have the time and patience.

Offline ndfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Go raibh mile maith agat, Daithi. Those records sound like a treasure trove of info. I'd hope to schedule a visit to the Archives on a future trip to Ireland. 

Offline CarolineInIreland

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • From Ireland. In Brussels. Likes Space, Aviation and all things geek. Does law stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just started researching the family tree - today actually!! It seems Michael and Bridget may be my great great grandparents.