Author Topic: West Lothian MI'S  (Read 62543 times)

Offline kack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Lothian MI'S
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks

Would love you to check on one for me its been a problem for sometime.

James Bell died between 1841 and 1857 at Bo'ness Scotland his wife was Elizabeth Snaddon who died 1857 at Bo'ness I have her death cert and she is a widow on that.

I belive he may have been born in 1790 parents Alexander Bell and Isabel Jarvie
Anything you can find appreciated.

Kim
Bell   Bo'ness West Lothian
Stewart    Stonehouse Lanarkshire
McInness  Ayreshire
West Middlesex England
De lesPine later changed to LePine La Gorge Flanders then from Canterbury Kent England

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Thank you for your offer.
I'm looking for a George McLean, he was in 1841 census age 50, I can't find him in 1851 census, so assume he died between those years.
At the time of the 1841 census he was living in Blackburn, Livingstone.
Regards
Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 December 08 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I would appreciate any information on Gillon M.I.'s from about 1735 to 1820.  I don't think there can be that many.  Specifically John Gillon and spouse Margaret Anderson (b. abt 1735 - 1757), and Andrew Gillon and Agnes Schaw (b. abt 1710) but any Gillons will do.  They are mostly in Torphichen and Bathgate.

Many thanks,

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 December 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Wonder if you can help me please? 

I am looking for Bridget McGoohan/McGoughan, ms Dunigan, died in Uphall (Niddry) in 1874.

Bridget McCann, ms McGooghan/McGoohan, died Uphall, (Simpson Rows) 1884.

John McGoohan died Dechmont c1880.

All were RC in faith.

And any other of the above named families would be much appreciated.  Been trudging round West Lothian cemetries for a couple of months now, so would be grateful for any help ;D

Kind regards,

Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 January 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

If the offer is still open I would like a little help please.  I have Mary Moore, wife of William Bell buried in West Calder Cemetery on Friday 30th October 1908, living in Faraday Place, Addiewell.  Mary and William were my great grandparents on my paternal side.

Many thanks,

Pip :)
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Mari Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 January 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda

I took a notion today to try and find out how my mother's familes' were distantly related to the actor Patrick McGoohan, he died yesterday. When he was at the height of his fame in the 60's, because of 'The Prisoner'; my mum often referred to the distant relationship.

I stumbled upon your enquiries about the same name, then I had to go through the Roots reg. process again* to contact you with what I know.

Patrick's parents were Thomas and Rose Fitzpatrick and he/they originated from Drumreilly townland, nearest town Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, Eire.

Patrick was born in 1928 in th USA. I don't yet know if his parents married in the USA or whether they were already married when they emigrated. (The Ellis Island records stop in the early 1920's, so they won't be the next thing I check.)

The family returned to Ireland in the early 30's to try farming. I'm assuming this was on family land in or around Drumreilly, but McGoohan families also farmed according to the 1901 census in the townlands of Aughoo, Aughoo East and Listnatullough. These places are all within a few miles of Ballinamore.

My mother's maiden-name was McGovern and her family lived in Aughoo West. Her mother Mary Rose nee McCartan came from Listnatullough. Mary Rose's mother's maiden name was Honeyman and there were also several families of them in the Listnatullough townland at the turn of the last century.

Mary Rose had one sister Katy - I think, who emigrated to NY but died young. In the 70's my parents had their first holiday in the USA. The only relatives my mother had to visit were the Beecorns. I have spelt  the name phonetically. I assume one of Mary Rose's female cousins married into this family and my mother was visiting some of their children. Cousins certainly, but I don't know the degree of relationship. Beecorn doesn't sound to be an obviously Irish name, but then neither does Honeyman! ('May be to do with the plantation history of the Leitrim/Cavan lands.) Whatever it's origin it would have been a RC family.

Until the 1950's many people who managed to stay in rural Ireland married a neighbour who was almost certainly a distant relation! Even those who emigrated managed to find and often married someone from their home area.

Any how Lynda I hope the above gives you a few answers. It will undoubtedly create even more questions!

Regards Mari Anne

*I've an old registeration'tied' to a defunct Ebox.

PS I have first hand knowledge of the above places. My mother and father found each other in London, after the war. But 10 years earlier my mum and dad had danced together as teenagers. His family came from a farm just a few miles south-west of Aughoo West. He had hordes of relatives in the USA.

PPS My own maiden was HARKIN, like McGoohan not a very usual name, unless you are looking in Inishowen or Londonderry. We think our Harkin great-great-grandfather came down from Donegal to Leitrim in the 1840/50's, with his brother; to work as bailiffs! A great pedigree to have! The landagent, possibly Lord Leitrim's, would have brought tenets in from Donegal to do his dirty work.

PPPS Have you read the 'Hanging Gale', loosely based on the family history of the McGann actors? Well in that book , set in Donegal in the famine years; the bailiff is called Harkin. May be it used to be the family trade!

PPPPS Last point our McGovern & McCartan family names are very common in east Leitrim/west Cavan. Hence very difficult to trace my mum's relatives. Oh McTagues are also her relatives and again very common in that location.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 January 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you mari Anne,
I have sent you a PM.

Regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Mari Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 January 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

What's a PM? Thanks, now how do I access it?

In the meantime having found only 1 McGoohan family in Aghoo (or Aughoo as it is/was more recently spelt) according to Griffiths 1856, I'm going to try again, but spell it Magoohan.

I will do the same with my mother's name so McGover becomes Magauvern. I saw this latter spelling somewhere as I was looking for McGoverns, it occurred to me that the same tack might help you with your McGoohan searches.

Both these alternate spelling more accurately reflect the way I heard older relatives pronunciation.

BFN
Mari'

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mari,
A PM is a private email.  take your mouse and go over to the left hand side beside your profile and it is the on next to it.  you have to put a post 3 times on the site to PM someone.  I will send you one with my email address.
I just remembered that you need to post again so I can send you an email.  So if you just add to this bit, I can email you..... :o

Regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.