Author Topic: Felinfoel Cottages Blaenllechau  (Read 4550 times)

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Felinfoel Cottages Blaenllechau
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 20:30 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather aged about 12 years in 1880 was recorded to be living at these cottages with his parents,,,,, but so far i have been unable to find out where they were!!!!! can anyone help??

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Felinfoel Cottages Blaenllechau
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 14:51 GMT (UK) »
bleanllechau is in the area of ferndale in the rhondda valley so if you can get in touch with the library there maybe they could help

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 18:10 GMT (UK) »
it was the first place i tried,,,,, my father was born in blaenllechau... they didnt know either!!!!!!

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
i wounder if there is a local historical society there that could help

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Try following the enumerator's route, Go to the first page of the schedule (if you haven't already done this) and look at a modern day  street map (such as is on google at full magnification). However, the names of some streets have changed since that census and in fact the cottages only appeared on that census along with some other cottages that also existed. There is actually now a "Middle Row" just as you turn into Princess Street (just above Albert Street). I would say that the cottages are somewhere along / off the road  between Baptist Square and Baptist Row maybe near where the Park is now. There were houses at one time opposite the first section of Princess st, shortly after the fork in the road, but I don't know what they were called.The other option is to contact Treorchy library or the Glamorgan Archives and see if they have an old OS map that covers the nearest year to the census and see if they can copy that section to send to you.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
You can see old OS maps online at www.old-maps.co.uk.Use a current search term such as -Baptist Square-choose an appropriate option from the list and when the map loads go to the historical equivalent drop-down list on the right and choose the 1877 or 1900 1:2500 option.Use the one off magnifier of Windows zoom to enhance.Felinfoel Cottages are not named,but maybe they can be identified by the number of entries bearing the name in the 1881 census vs.the rows on the map?

Regards
Roger

Offline Tracey Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi if you go on facebook there is a site on there called sunnyblaenllechau maybe someone there may be able to help.