Author Topic: Hitchcock's of Wantage?  (Read 8124 times)

Offline Arthur Hitchcock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchcock's of Wantage?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 July 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Brant

Arthur Hitchcock was my Great Grandfather, and apparently I was named after him.  His son Joe (my grandfather) also lived Oxfordshire as did my father Frank.  I am not too sure about the history of Arthur's sisters although my mother often mentioned Nancy, but rarely Florence.  You probably know that Arthur was from Eynsham and his son moved to the Witney area.

I picked up your research by pure coincidence as I was checking something out for a US relation, Arthur's grand-daughter who was visiting the UK only last week (she's eighty odd years old now).

Let me know if you need to know anything specific and I'll see if I have the information to share.

Arthur Hitchcock

Offline ks1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 August 14 02:55 BST (UK) »
Arthur Hitchcock was married to Julia Barwick, I'm descended from Julia's brother George.

Afraid I don't have any information about them but was interested to see the discussion.

BARWICK - Reading, Grove, Newport Pagnell
WESTMACOTT - Speen, Newbury, Shalbourne
SEYMOUR - Speen
PENTON - Wolverton
SMITH - Malpas and Chester

Offline craven481

• RootsChat Member
  • Finding Family Is Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 August 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Arthur was reported in a local paper, The Reading Mercury: 6 Sept 1902 page 3
ALLEGED ASSAULT AT GROVE.
     Arthur Hitchcock was charged with assaulting Henry Haines, landlord of the Bell Inn, Grove, on September 1st, and with refusing to quit when requested. Henry Haines said the defendant came into his house between 9 and 10 on Monday night and asked for a pint of beer. Witness asked him who was going to pay for it, when he commenced to abuse and insult him and refused to leave the house. Defendant said when he went to put the cup to his mouth Haines snatched it away. He asked for an adjournment in order to bring his witnesses. Adjourned till next Petty Sessions.   
Reading Mercury: 20 Sept 1902 page 3  ASSAULT AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT     Arthur Hitchcock was summoned for assaulting and beating Henry Haines, landlord of the Bell Inn, Grove, on September 1st.  He was also charged with being disorderly and refusing to quit licensed premises on the same date.  Mr Ormiston Chant, from the offices of Messrs Jotcham and Son, was for the plaintiff.     Defendant was fined 2s and 18s costs, which he paid.

Thought you might find this interesting.

Ken
Craven, tarporley cheshire; hulme manchester.
Meredith, manchester.
Scanlon, sligo ireland.
Barwick, grove & reading berks; wolverhampton staffs, manchester.
Simpson, pately bridge appletreewick & halifax yorks; manchester.
Dixon, storriths bolton abbey addingham & embsay yorks; manchester