Author Topic: Thomas Fletcher Murder Lilian Wharlton 1913  (Read 4032 times)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Fletcher Murder Lilian Wharlton 1913
« on: Monday 29 September 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Im trying help somebody find Thomas Fletcher Family B. 1882  Brades Village, Oldbury and stated father David Flecther.
Here is the Article
http://www.whartonfamilyhistory.com/news
Thomas Fletcher, came into the world in 1882, at Brades Village, Oldbury. His father, David, seems to have died around the 1890s, and by 1901, he was livng with his mother Mary, in Dudley Street, not far from the Fountain Inn.

In 1911, she and three of her children, William, Rachel, and Lily, were living at number 13, back of 17, Dudley Road, Brades Village. Thomas isn't listed as living with them, but a family story suggests that he was abroad somewhere. In light of what transpired, he may actually have been in the Army, or, given the social conditions of the time, even in Prison. He was by trade a blacksmiths striker, although at the time of the unfortunately little incident that got hin into trouble, his work was listed as a stampers assistant. This entailed removing the hot product from the press.

Ok here is my problem I found Mary Fletcher 60 yrs old widow living in Dudley road with william 31 ,rachel 20 and lily 17 yrs old on the 1911 census in oldbury.
which the newspaper article states.

So on the 1901 census I find mary Fletcher 56 yrs old Widow, born brades village,Staffordshire,
Children William 21,Thomas 19 [the man in the murder] Lizzy 17 yrs,Carrie 15,Rachel 9,And Lilley 6 yrs old living in oldbury.

So on the 1891 Census i find Mary Fletcher 40 yrs old,born rowley Regis ,Worcestershire married to Thomas 40 yrs old with children William 11 yrs old,Thomas 8 yrs old,Elizabeth 6 yrs old,and Carrie 4 yrs old.

Im confused as i thought the Fathers name of Thomas Fletcher was david Fletcher ??
Also i know the family had  Sarah emma Fletcher Born 1877 west Brom and Sarah Ann Fletcher Born ?? West Brom.

I cannot find Mary Fletcher b.1851 Rowley regis ,Worcestershire on th 1881 census with her family which should be Sarah Emma B.1877 west brom and also William born 1880 west brom.

With either A Thomas or a david Fletcher,any help appreciated
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fletcher Murder Lilian Wharlton 1913
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
The only David Fletcher I can find that fits..

1881 census Oldbury RG11/2839   folio87  page36

David Fletcher  38  bricklayer with wife Mary A.

Ages + birthplaces are not always correct, they can vary quite a lot through the censuses!!!

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Im confused as i thought the Fathers name of Thomas Fletcher was david Fletcher ??

Why did you think that - have you seen some document with that info?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 15:41 BST (UK) »

Why did you think that - have you seen some document with that info?

Presumably it has come from that Wharton site which is linked to.  Doesn't look very reliable.

My suggestion is to ignore what is said on that site and take what is known about Thomas and work from there.

He was said to be 28 in the 1913 news reports (also not necessarily reliable).  That would suggest a birthdate of c1885.

Any prison records may also contain relevant information.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Thankyou jacquelineve yes i saw that one but i dont see sarah emma b.1877 and william b.1880 with the family but thanks for trying.
Hi Carolew the only reason i was looking for a David was becuase it was mentioned on the web link i provided saying Thomas Fletcher father was a David,im now sure his father was thomas as when i follow the family back Carrie 4yrs old is with them.
Its just a shame i cant find this family anywhere on the 1881 census with thomas as father and mother mary as this census would also include Sarah Emma Fletcher b.1877 and William Fletcher b.1880 and this would be total proof of the family.
i know the family is correct on the 1911 census as the family names were mentioned by my freind.
thanks for your help.
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England