Author Topic: Whittet  (Read 16104 times)

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whittet
« on: Friday 25 March 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors appear to have had variations on the name White ranging from Quhittet and Weetet to Whyte and Whytit.  I have been able to trace the earliest references c 1428 to a triangle of villages Dundee on the East, Perth on the West and Blairgowrie / Coupar Angus on the north. There presently are about 300 Whittets in Scotland, about 50 in England and the rest of them in the US, Canada, Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, South Africa and one in Spain. Of the 666 Whittet's that use that exact spelling I keep track of about 120 using the "Where are all the Whittet's pages on Facebook. Most of us know of or have copies of the Whittet's Book that carries the family down to c 1900 but the relations are less well documented. I can track my family back to William Whittet and Jane Sprunt by handwritten reference in my copy of the Whittet Book and know fairly well the connections to Cross, Black, Drummond, Sutherland, Peck, Scot, Shepard, Young, McLean who left Scotland to found Sarnia and Bear Creek across the St Clair river from Detroit c 1832. I have references that tell me who did what when in Ontario and I have the names of those who settled in Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, California, Colorado, Mississippi, Florida, and some parts of Canada and Australia.

What I'm presently interested in is the earlier spellings such as Johnne Quhittet who was a somewhat unruly merchant of Dundee c 1599.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whittet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I have some Whittets in my tree from the Longforgan area c1750-1900, would you like some details?
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Sure, I expect it goes back to the Weittets in Perthshire John, James, Helen, Janet, Thomas in the 1760's. That Links to David Watson Whittet who is the scion of Redwood Falls MN. and goes back through John of Perthshire  c 1635 and William of Coupar Angus c 1685 to Johhn Quhittet of Dundee c 1599. Ultimately it traces back to a couple of friars named Quhit in Coupar Angus c 1028.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
The furthest back I've got is George Whittet who married Betsy Allan, I suspect he was the son of Alexander, born 1775 in Kinnaird.

George and Betsy had at least five children, their daughter Christian Scott Whittet was born c1813 and married James Paul. Any of this ringing any bells? I'd love to get further back than George. I don't think they're in the Whittet Book.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Extracts from the Lord Treasurer's accounts, having reference to the burgesses of Dundee who suffered for the reformed opinions, 1538-9. The paragraphs in brackets are translated from the Latin originals.

203 Item, furth of ane other myln perteining to ye laird of fyntrie, occupiet be Thomas Quhittet, Lyand on dichtie, To ye Choristaris zeirlie Threttie ss. iiij d.; And furth of ye sam myln to ye Rwid Chaiplanrie zeirlie twentie sex ss. viij d.

(I expect a furth of ane myln is a quarter knights fee [square mile] or about 160 acres.)

In those days angling was not at all general among the working men, at least in towns. I can remember when one could count on his finger ends all the anglers in Dundee. Of these, two were working men, and very good fishers they were. The only way to get to the burnside then was to walk.

But Dundee was fortunate in having one of the best trout streams in Scotland within an hour's walk of the Cross o' Dundee; I mean the Dighty, or "Dichtie," as the natives call it. About the beginning of the century it was a wonderful stream for trout, in numbers, size, and quality, two and three-pounders being not uncommon.

But the bleachfields had begun to tell a sad tale before I began the gentle art. Still, some parts of the stream were till lately fairly good, and wonderful takes were at times got. Now, I may say, all is barren. Salmon roe and other vile ways of killing fish were almost as much to blame as the bleachfields for the ruin of the trout fishing on the Dichtie.

Several documents illustrate the history of the Collegiate Church of Cullen. On 6th March 1465, a ratification was granted under the Great Seal, of the erection and endowment made by King Robert Bruce in the College Kirk of Cullen, and on 13th July 1543, Mary Queen of Scots granted a ratification of several endowments in favour of the Provost of the College Kirk of Cullen. The deed narrates that " tho auld chaiplanrie "of fiwe pundis infoft be umquhilc our prcdecessoure "King Robert the Bruce, of gude mynde of the burrow "rudis of oure burghe of Culane, with thretty thre "schillingis four pennyis gevin in augmentatioun "thairof be the bailleis and communitie of tho said "burgh to sustene ane cheplane daylie .... to pray "for the saule of Elizabeth, his spous, quene of Scottis, "quhilk deceissit in our said burgh of Culane, and hir "bouallis erdit in oure Lady Kirk thairof, be perpetu"allie, unit incorporat, and crectit .... in help and "supplement of oure College Kirk newlie erectit be "bailleis, burgesses, and communite of Culane, Alex"auder Ogilvy of that ilk, and Alexander Dyk, archi"dene of Glasgow, be consent and confirmation of the "bischop and chapter of Abirdene."

It would look like you might be related to James. The firstborn is named for the fathers father and the thirdborn for the father.

FIRST GENERATION. (James may have been a second son and John the firstborn; John goes back to 1612 and Johnn to the 14th century in Dundee.

I. James Weittit, of Kintillo, parish of Dun-
barney, born 1635 ? Married Marga-
ret Bu (the surname is undecipher-
able in the record), both of the Parish of
Dunbarney, July 23, 1657.

Issue.

1. John, born January 8, 1660.

2. Margaret, born November 13, 1663.

3. James, born August 26, 1666.

4. Christian, born January 23, 1669.

5. Robert, born September 3, 1671.

6. Andrew, born August 15, 1674.

http://testing.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I34246&tree=John

Father     James Whittet or Whytock,   b. 14 December 1704, Kinnaird, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
Mother     Isobel or Isabel West or Wast

Alexander Whittet or Whytock
Male 1729 - Yes - date unknown

Children
   1. James Wittet or Whittet,   b. 8 May 1759, Kinnaird by Errol, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    2. Margaret Whittet,   b. 29 December 1762, Kinnaird by Errol, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    3. Janet Whittet,   b. 11 January 1766, Kinnaird by Errol, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    4. Agnes Whittet,   b. 3 June 1769, Kinnaird by Errol, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    5. George Whittet,   b. 25 January 1775, Kinnaird by Errol, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of confirming that that George is mine?

And where does all this information come from?
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 April 11 02:04 BST (UK) »
Both are George Whittet  the son of Alexander, born 1775 in Kinnaird
My link (Lisa and Roger.com) doesn't mention he married Betsy Allan, but I'd consider that a pretty good match nonetheless, unless you find another George Whittet born 1775 in Kinnaird.  Other information comes from the "Where are all the Whittet's" pages on Facebook, which in turn comes from other Whittet's, and various document researches including Google Books and "The Whittet Book"

The earliest names are John (Johnne Quhittet) (1572)  Then James; 1592, and William 1600. Robert 1646, Andrew 1652, Henry 1657, Patrick 1660,  Thomas 1681, for women Ishobel 1572, Margaret 1612, Elizabeth 1632, Janet 1649, Jane 1658, Christian 1655

There is another George, son of Mary Whittet in about the same time and place but not quite so good a match, no Alexander.

The Donaldson family came from Kilspindie parish, 8 miles from Perth, and can trace their origins to a John Donaldson at Dalreitchmoor (married to Janet Morris), who earned his living both as a wright and handloom weaver. He was the father of two sons: James (b 1791), married in 1818 to Ann Anderson (1784-1821); and George (b 1797), married to Mary Whittet (1798-1822). The younger son, George, became a master joiner in the neighbouring village of Balgeggie. The elder son, James, like his father, took to the loom, but with the decline of handloom weaving, he bought the neighbouring farm of Whitemyre in 1830. He was the father of two sons, George (b 1818) and James (1826-1890), who were the founders of the company now known as James Donaldson and Sons Ltd.

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 April 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
Another early spelling variant

MOW, or MOLLE. The church previous to the Reformation belonged to the Abbey of Kelso, and the parish was supplied by WILLIAM QUHYTE, reader in 1580, and JOHN QUHYTE in 1585. The parishioners, 22d Aug. 1617, gave a preference to Morebattle, but express their willingness to have ane minister, gif maintenance could be found. It was, however, united to Morebattle before 16th Dec. 1635.

http://www.themastertons.org/robert-masterton-of-parkmill.html

Helen Quhyte pardoned of witchcrafy and treason afte being burnt at the stake as a witch
http://forejustice.org/db/fc/Quhyte--White---Helen.html

History of name: WHITE

The White Name "The spellings: Whyte, Hulta, Huuita and Hwita occur ap personal names in O.E. (Old English) characters. It is from the O.E. hwit, "white". White is also found as a byname. There follows a list, with dates, showing incidence of various spellings recorded in early documents: Albus- 1240 Quheit-1587 Qwyth-1482 Quhyt - 1289 Quheitt-1588 Qwite-1407 Qwhyt-1376 Quhit-1497 Qwyt-1471 Qwhit-1742 Quhite-1493 Whyt-1648 Quheyt-1525 Quhyt-1462 Whytt-1677 Whytte-1658 Quyt-1606 Source: Black-Surnames of Scotland. Page 811 "white comes from Hwita (the white, fair), an ancient English baptismal name of Saxon origin. Hwita originally indicated a person of light, fair complexion. Ina document dated 1024 we find: 'Tovi Hwita' (Tovi, the White). White is sometimes a shortened form of the Old English patronymic form of Whiting, (descendent of White)" White is also Anglicized from the German Weiss (White) or from the French Blanch or Blanchard. In Middle English the Old English Hwita becomes Wyte, usually written "le Wyte". The Middle English wiht (brave) may be another source of White. The names Wynn, Winn, Wynne are all Welsh cognates of White, when not from the Old English wyn (friend, protector.") It is curious that the surname Black is occasionally derived from the Middle English blac (pale, white), a word related to bleach, hence we discover that Black is White - one of the many surprises encountered in tracing the origins of names. See also: Gwin, Black, Schwarz, Weiss.

Source: These names of Ours by A.W. Dellquist-Thos. Y. Crowell, 1938 "....the names of those who bore the complimentary name wiht (Middle English for 'valiant') are now indistinguishable from those that represent color."

Source: Bowman-The Story of Surnames, page 184

http://testing.lisaandroger.com/relationship.php?generations=16&savedpersonID=&primarypersonID=I35211&tree=John''

ORIGINS OF THE SURNAME " WHYTOCK"

Recorded as Whytoak, Whittock, Whittuck, Whytock, Whittek and possibly others, this is quite a rare surname of English medieval origins. It derives from the pre-7th century Old English " HWIT - COCC", which, according to the famous Victorian etymologist Canon Charles Bardsley, means " The White Cock", but whether this is a reference to somebody who lived at or by a house or inn with that name, or whether it has a more personal meaning, is not known. The name appears to have originated in a western county of England, with, for instance, Robert Whitcock being so recorded in the Hundred Rolls of landowners of the County of Wiltshire in 1273, and John Wyttok in the Subsidy Tax rolls in the county of Somerset in 1327. The fact that these recordings are associated with the payment of tax based upon land and possessions suggests that the surname may, like the popular White Hart, refer to an inn or similar business.It is however possible that it is an ethnic name, in that "Hwit" or "White" often referred to an Anglo-Saxon or Viking settler, as both these races were fair haired and fair skinned compared with the native English. If so, the name could have described the "son of White" with "cocc" being used to mean "the son of" as in Hancock and Hitchcock being the names "son of Hans" or "son of Hitch" respectively.

Family     Jannat Vilson or Wilson
Married     1566     Angus, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location
Children     
>   1. John or Jhon Quhattit or Whittok,   b. about 1570, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   2. Robert or Rot. Quhattit or Whittok,   b. about 1590,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   3. Thomas Quhyts or Whitlock or Whytock,   b. about 1594, St Madoes, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   4. James Whittok,   b. about 1595, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   5. Andro or Andrew Whittok,   b. about 1600, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   6. William Quhattit or Whittok,   b. about 1600, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    7. Agnes Whittok,   b. about 1605, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
>   8. Georg Whittok,   b. about 1605,   d. Yes - date unknown
    9. Nans or Nancy Whittok or Quhattit,   b. about 1610, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown
    10. Helen Whittok,   b. about 1610, Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes - date unknown

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 April 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
The reason I asked if there was any way of confirming that this George was mine was because my source is probably the same as yours.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England