Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47012 times)

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 March 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky

I had a chat with Mum she was gald to hear from Willies family. She would have been young when your grandfather left for England and says there was no ill feeling that she knows of. Glad Mary made contact she's right about Denis and Willie looking like twins. There was a large family of the Elliott's Denis Eileen John Willie Mamie Gretta Nora Bridie Katie Patsy Frances Anna and Aggie and Seamus who died as a baby. The priest you asked about was Fr Willie Elliott your grandfathers uncle he died in 1957. There was no members of the RUC I like Denny would think that Danny was the person they were talking about, his Uncle George was married to Auntie Gretta. (*) Hope this gaves you a little insight into your family in Derry.
Chat soon
Gabrielle.

Moderator Comment:
RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, email addresses, etc.

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 March 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary- thanks for your message. I have always assumed that somewhere there would be a republican interest running through the elliott family in derry- given your dad's history.  I was in dublin for my 30th birthday and looked around for some memorial to the participants in the Easter rising with Dennis' name on but couldn't find one (Dad had told me there would be one in the GPO).  I am amazed  that you have lead such a full life politically given that you have such a large family ( i only have 2 sons and find working part-time v hard!). it's obviously something close  to your heart and am pleased that all parties involved in NI are moving forward together peacefully and hope this continues. I have only 2 memories of Grandad- one of me and dad putting him on the train to go back down south and the other is when he taught me how to cheat at playing cards!!He was a lovely man and my dad talks of him with great fondess and respect.  It's  been lovely to able to touch base with the family in Derry. Funnily enough i  actually consider myself Welsh- i was born and grew up there and speak the language- I'll be watching with great interest when we play ireland  the six nations !!! 

Take care and best wishes to all of your family, Vicky

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 March 09 10:43 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi Vicky Glad you picked up my message. I have been trying to pin down my late Fathers role in the rising. He rarely talked about it. I guess that is a characteristic of all Republicans given the nature of the struggle. Wise dont you think. I write for our local paper and for An Phoblacht. You can get my writings perhaps they are ravings, online at the Sunday Journal or derryjournal.com if you are interested. Our second cousin Ursala Mc Hugh is a nun and has researched the Elliott family tree. It is fascinating. I can send you a copy although it is not complete. Also the Elliott family have been in Derry such a long time. There is a number of streets named after the family. They were renowned singers and Denny,s Mother won the prestigious Blue Ribbon award at our local feis.
I can send you some of Ursala's research and also photographs of some members of your grandfathers sisters and brother taken at the various musical festivals. My son Declan is a film maker and he has some archival footage of events in Derry /Ireland. It a wet  miserable Monday morning. As the song says I hate Mondays. Beir Bua Mary 

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 March 09 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
I would love to see the information you have on the family tree, It was Denny's Grandmother Eileen who win the cup. Mum got very stroppy when I asked about Denis involvement in the Easter Rising I was told in no uncertain terms he was not involved, she was not even born then and her story is the one her parents told of him running away to join the army and his father buying him out. She calls your dad the quiet man "our Denis was very quiet and reserved wouldn't hurt a fly what would he be doing in a thing like that" thats Aggies story and she's sticking to it.

Gabrielle

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 March 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary and Gabrielle- i have had a quick look at some of your articles in the Sunday journal but couldn't find you in An Phoblact. Are any of you on facebook? Well done on the rugby- big showdown on sat against the welsh coming up !  Vicky

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 March 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickey
Iam on facebook I have only signed up recently and have not used it much. No rugby fans in my house two Liverpool fans who were very happy on saturday.

Gabrielle

Offline MeMeElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 March 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky

My mum past away 6 weeks to cancer, she was 60 years old.  A couple of years before she got sick we began researching the family tree.  We didn't do any research in the last year because of her illness.  I decided to pick it up again this week and came across your post.

I am an Elliott still living in Derry.  From posts I think (?) I may fit in somewhere to family research.  My father's name is Hugh; his father's name was Nugent & his mother's name was Alice Collins.  Nugent & Alice separated when my father was quite young - hence I know very little about the Elliott side of my family.

My father's grandfather was a blacksmith in the Forge in Duke Street; as far as I am aware this man was called Hugh?

May be we can speak soon.

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 March 09 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi MeMe I am Mary Nelis nee Elliott living in Derry. Yes you are related to the Elliotts of Fountain Hill. I believe that Hugh Elliott was the brother of my grandfather Lawerence. Both were blacksmiths. I remember Hugh's place in Duke Street. If you visit Gabrielle who is the daughter of my Aunt Agnes, she may be able to give you some more information. I remember Alice. She used to live in Elmwood Terrace. The Elliotts have a fascinating family history but so the Collins family
                                                                   Regards Mary

Offline MeMeElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 March 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,  jeekers its a small world!  My name is Michaela, I did Foundation Studies with your son Declan, he told me one time, while we were studying, that we were related.  At the time I laughed it off & told him to run on with himself!!  Sure what did know!!?

I will check out more into it, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thank you so much,   Michaela