Author Topic: Redmond Smyth  (Read 10486 times)

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Redmond Smyth
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone can help
We have a Bridgett Jette Smyth born 1849 Meath Ireland
Sister Rose Smyth born 1849 Meath Irealnd they both imigrated to New York in 1867 Bridgett Jette Smyth married 1871 St Louis Missouri  to William Steele who was from Edmondsham Dorset my great Uncle.
We think that Bridget and Rose Smyth were the children of Redmond Smyth and Mary Foy or Fay.
We have found a death for Redmond Smyth in 1878 at Kells workhouse Meath Ireland but have never been able to find his birth or Marriage.
We think they also had a son James Smyth.
Any help would be wonderful.
Kind regards Chris
This information is crown copyright, from
"http://www.national archives.gov.uk"

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Redmond Smyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
As civil registration only began in 1864 any birth or marriage records before that will be church based. Do you know what religion they were ? What parish tthey were connected with ?

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 August 14 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I am not sure if my last message arrived.
I was told by one of my family that their was also five sons who went to St Louis Missouri a little while before they then sent for their two sister Bridget Jette Smyth and Rose Smyth.
So we now know the Mary and Redmond Smyth had at least 7 children.
Which I feel sure were Catholic because they all went to St Theresa and St Bridget Church St Louis Missouri USA
Any help would be wonderful.
Regards Chris
Ps is there such a place as Moybolgue Meath Ireland??? Or Losset Meath

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 14 13:25 BST (UK) »

Ps is there such a place as Moybolgue Meath Ireland??? Or Losset Meath

Losset is a townland in the civil parish of Moybolgue.

Griffiths Valuation for the area (print date 1854) show a Rose Fay and a Thomas Fay among the few occupants.

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just to say thank you for your help
I just cannot understand why with seven children and a name like Redmond Smyth I cannot find anything about this family.
Just wonder if Redmond was a Smith not Smyth.
Is any one related to this family?
We think one of the sons may have been James.
Redmond Smyth's great great Grand daughter is come to Ireland this year from USA
I would love to find out more to add to our tree before she arrives.
Kind regards to all who have taken the time to help us.
Chris

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 August 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I got your PM but you are better to keep the conversation on this thread so all can see and perhaps add their insights. You did not mention Moybologue or Losset in your first post so I wonder where the names came up ? Moybologue is located across the Meath  / Cavan border , within the Meath part is the townland of Losset. There are Catholic Parish records listed for this Parish in the National Library in Dublin, on Microfilm as follows
- Baptisms from FEb 1867 to Dec 1880
- Marriages from May 1868 to Oct 1880
- No Burial records.

As to spellings, you have to be aware that you are back in a period from 1800 to 1860 where many people were Gaelic speakers in Rural areas, and the spelling of their names  and the place where they lived was being rendered in a foreign language ie. English, so the Gaelic place name "Moy Bolg" will be written as "Moybolg", or "Moybolgue" or"Moybolgoue" etc depending on the whim of the English speaking administrator writing it down. Similarly, someone with the Gaelic name McGowan, will have it written as "Smith" or "Smyth" in similar fashion.

Also be aware , in North Meath and Cavan there were, and still are very many Smith/Smyth families.   

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 August 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your message.
From what you say it looks like I have no chance of finding out any more about my Smyth/ Smith
Children. I found out that Redmond Smyth or Smith died 20 May 1878 Kells workhouse and from his age given at time of death made his birth 1793 we think Moybolgue
The two daughters we know of left Ireland for USA
I found their ships passage they ages given Bridget Jette Smyth born 1 April 1847 Meath Ireland  Rose Smyth born 1849 Meath Ireland  they arrived in 1867 in New York USA.
My cousin said that she knows that they had five brothers who went to the USA about two years before them and that they opened a Saloon in St Louis Missouri  they then sent for their sisters.
My cousin does not know the names of their brothers but we think out of them maybe called James.
I only have the girls birth records from their ships passage and as it says Meath I think maybe they were born the same place as their father I have not been able to find out what happened to their mother.I only know what happened to Bridget Jette Smyth because she married my great uncle in St Louis Missouri and I am in touch with my family in St Louis Missouri.
It's so sad that Redmond should end his days in the workhouse in Kells.
But I guess their was no family left to look after him.
Thank you again for your help.
Kind regards. Chris

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 August 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Bolton,
If your folks came from Losset in Maybolgue in Meath .... you have a perfect example in that small area of what the Famine years and subsequent population loss through starvation/disease and/or emigration brought about. When you look at the Census returns for that small townland from 1841 to 1911 you see the following:

Year             No of Households          No of Persons

1841                  30                            162
          1851                  12                              48
          1901                    7                              23
          1911                    6                              17

So in that one small area, 24 out of 30 households vanished (died or emigrated)
and the population was reduced to 10% of what it was. Obviously whole families emigrated when they could, first one or two then once a base was established sent for the rest.

As of today we only have the detailed returns for the 1901 and 1911 censuses,  all we have for the earlier ones are the statistical summaries, but the family names etc all went up in smoke .

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 August 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you so much for your message.
Now I understand why there is no records I did know about the potato famine also that some of the records were destroyed by fire.
But just thought maybe there just might be something about the Smyth family.
We are so lucky to have found out what we have.
Thank you so much for being so kind to explain to me.
Kind regards Chris