Author Topic: Two Grants of Probate  (Read 1450 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two Grants of Probate
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 April 14 08:35 BST (UK) »
Can I just re-itterate what the others have said.
When I suggested getting a copy of the will I meant exactly what has been described by Dawnsh and others - sending for a copy from the Probate Office.
It will be the only way, I believe, to see what exactly the situation is here.

(Thanks for the tip that they are going up to £10. Doesnt seem long since they were 75p!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. 

I have looked on the website and am still not sure what can be gained by sending for copies as the information you get back seems to be the same as the information already available on Ancestry.

Anyway, I will ask my friend if he wants me to go any further with this.

Thanks
Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

The calendars on Ancestry are an index to "Grants of Representation" which in laymans terms are known as wills and letters of administration. The process of applying for probate ends up with 2 documents, the grant and the copy of the will, or if there is mention of a letter of administration, just the grant.

You use the index to obtain copies of the actual wills from HMCTS at Leeds.

If the calndar says Probate there is a will. If the calendar says Administration, there isn't.

Once you have the actual wills, you will get all the details as to how he wanted his estate to be disposed of after his death.

Wills can sometimes be extremely useful documents, it's the grant part of the document that contains no more information that n the index.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawnsh.

Sorry for being so dense!

Carole.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 April 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
If you want copies, you should get your application in before 22nd April when the price goes up from £6 to £10 per grant/will.

Just downloaded a copy of the pa01s-eng form which there is a link to on the website and it says the price is currently £7 per grant/will.  I had a feeling it went up a £1 last year or the year before.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
It's £7 is you want 2 copies of the same document
The fee payable for a search which includes being sent a copy of a grant is £6 and if the deceased left a will you will be sent a copy of the grant and will. As standard the copies are not sealed.

Additional copies of the grant are £1 each and the will £1 each. For example, two copies of the grant and one copy of the will would be £7.

They've been £6 for about 4 years
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 April 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry mis-read the form. ;D ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day