Author Topic: John Farrell - Celbridge, Co Kildare  (Read 12347 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Farrell - Celbridge, Co Kildare
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Temple Mills was run by the Tyrrell family in Celbridge for about 300 years. It was located just south of the town. It's now the name of a housing estate.

Could mean that James worked in the Mill, or maybe just that the family lived nearby.

see : Temple Mills  (c1837 OSI Map)

Temple Mills was located in the townland of Newtown, and the 1901 census shows a Farrell family living there - maybe relations of your John ?

Farrell household

Mother Mary Ann born Co. Kildare, but the two children born Dublin City.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane for your help.  Perhaps Mary Ann was the wife of a cousin.  I know he didn't have any brothers so not a sister-in-law.  On my next trip home I think I'll just have to head down there and try and get a copy of his baptismal cert which might give me more information.

Thanks.

Sharon

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 August 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
for reference, the film covering historic records for Celbridge RC parish in the National Library is Pos. 6613, and it appears to cover a similar date range to the transcripts on RootsIreland - i.e. baptisms from 1857.

p.s. Temple Mills was also used as the name for the area surrounding the actual mill.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 August 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane - I appreciate all the help.

Sharon

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
The fact the children are listed as born in Dublin is correct. All Kildare and majority of Leinster Provence births were and still are in Dublin where the Maternity Hospitals are based.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
The fact the children are listed as born in Dublin is correct. All Kildare and majority of Leinster Provence births were and still are in Dublin where the Maternity Hospitals are based.

That wouldn't apply to all birhs until the mid 1900s would it? I think it would depend on how close you were to Dublin, personal choice and the time to get there. Women were still having children at home in the 50s, and in my case the 60s.

Offline grfeltbeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 April 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for a family connection to my gg grandparents, John Brady b. 1838 married Catherine Farrell b. 1843. They were married Jan 1 1864 at St Patricks 585 Celbridge. John's father's name is listed as Daniel. They had twelve children: Daniel, Mary, Anne, Julia, James, Agnes, Ester, John, Michael, Christopher and Patrick. The came to RI in June 1882. All kids were baptized at St Patricks in Celbridge except Michael who is listed as Temple Mills Kildare. Would love to see if Catherine was James' sister!

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have not managed to get any more info on this branch of the family, which is a shame really because it is my family name. It is possible that Catherine and James were siblings, the location is correct. Do you have any more info on Catherine? Parents, siblings etc?

Sharon

Offline grfeltbeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
I wish I did know more, but this is the only information I have.