Author Topic: McGoohan family Oughterragh  (Read 38895 times)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: McGoohan family Oughterragh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 09 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharyn,

Lovely to hear from you again. 
I have been researching the McGoohan family for over 2 years now.  I am certain that they are all the same family.  My reason for saying this is that the name in itself is very rare.  I also beleive that as they have migrated all over the world, the name has been transcribed in different ways bythe people who interpretted it and wrote it down.  This was due to the bearers illiteracy.  In Scotland, it has ben transcribed as McGowan, McGoochan, McGoughan, McOugh and several other combinations.  So this has left me no alternative , but to conclude that McGoohans are not a common name in Ireland.  I would say that all those from the Oughterragh/Ballinamore area are indeed alone family.  I am replying off the top of my head here so hope that all the place names are correct.

You can let me knw if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
Looking at the info Jim gave you, and looking at the info I have, there was a Maria Magoohan who was witness to Owen Quinn's and Bridget Smith's marriage in 1884 in Drumreilly.

Have you put any pieces together yet to find out which family members belong to which?

Cheers

Sharyn

Offline Dogzilla235

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

I have McGoohan (and spelling variations) family born in Killahurk, Carrigallen, Co. Leitrim. Is your connection to Oughterragh a firm one, or is Carrigallen possible?

My great grandmother, Alice McGoohan (dob unknown) married Thomas Richards in Aughavas, Co. Leitrim, 10 May 1886. While I have some information on the couple, a lot of the material is tenuous at best. My great grandfather was probably Protestant as there is family conviction that he changed religion to marry Alice.

Alice's parents were Thomas McGoohan and Alice McGurn, dates unknown. Siblings probably included Daniel and Patrick (b. 1865?) and possibly others. Family stories have Patrick emigrating to the US, where the family name was known as McGowan.

The McGoohan spelling was found via a researcher in Ireland and was a total surprise to us.

Contact me if you think you have some connections here or would like more information. Best wishes with your search.

Anne

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 January 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dogzilla,

Thanks for making contact.  Mcgoohan is a very unusual name here is Scotland.  It is my husbands family.  Myself and Ronnie McGoohan have been doing this for a long time now.  The furthest back that we have got with it is John McGoohan and Bridget Rousle. (probably Russel) born c1795 and 1798 respectively.
It has been suggested by someone that we have a direct link to Patrick Mcoohan the actor but I have never been ale to prove this.  We beleive that they may have come from ballinamore, Co Leitrim.  No one is very sure where he roots are.  Our Patrick c1835, seems to have come to Scotland with his mother ridget, sister Bridget, brother edward.  hey lived in West Lothian and died there.  Patrick came to Edinburgh and married sarah Conway in 1859 and lived in the Cowgate. We never found the marriage cert for a ong time as it was registered under the name McGowan. He worked as a Mason's labourer.  He died in 1904 in the poorhouse.  My husand is his gt grandson.

Anyway it is good to hear from you.
Happy New Year,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Dogzilla235

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 January 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

A few of my great uncles (Richards) left Leitrim and went to Scotland before emigrating to America in the early 1920s. Their mother was Alice McGoohan, but perhaps her surname morphed into McGowan somehow while her sons were living in Scotland, as your post suggests. That was the name they used on official documents here in the U.S. Until a few years ago, we had no idea of the McGoohan name what so ever.

If my searches turn up anything of use to you I'll be in touch. Thanks for your speedy reply.

All the best,
Anne

McGoohan, Richards, McKeon, Stretton, Dolan, O'Rourke

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 January 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you also.  My tree is on enes Reunited....Keep in touch, Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline mcgoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am a McGoohan and my parents were from Ballinamore, Co.Leitrim.  I saw your query.  My Father's name was Hubert McGoohan (Hugh).   He was from Aughoo, Ballinamore, Co.Leitrim.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello McGoo,
Thanks for getting in touch.  I and cousin Ronnie have been researching the McGoohan family for several years now. 
Our branch came from Ireland in thelate 1840's or early 1850's and some settled in West Lothian and Edinburgh.

I should mention that the  McGoohans are my husbands family.  His Gt grandfather was Patrick McGoohan, born c1832.  His mother was Bridget Dorigan/Dunigan.  Some of the documents have been difficult to decipher.  Patrick married Sarah Conway in 1858 in Edinburgh.  (We have not been able to follow Sarahs line back as there have been no hints as to where she may have come from.Almost certainly Irish though).  It seems that Patrick came to Scotland sometime during or after the potato famine.  We thought that his mother Bridget had stayed in Ireland.  It looks as if His father John may have died and his mother brought the family here to Scotland.  We are still trying to unfold the story. 
Do you think you may be able to help us unravel their story.  I am happy to share information with you.

Kind regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline mcgoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 March 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I would be delighted to help but may not be much help - My Father (hubert McGoohan) died in 2006 and there is only 1 member of his family still alive - We never went back through the family tree but if you have any specific questions that I might be able to help you with regarding the current generation I would gladly help