Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77212 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #225 on: Saturday 01 November 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
The first of the references is a repeat.On Page 144 Ynys y Garn and Ynys y Berfedd are described as "...two adjacent cottages or houses visible in the 1844 tithe map and the Ist edition of the OS 1889..".There is also the possible interpretration that Ynys y Berfedd is a cottage and Ynys y Garn a farmstead.

http://www.dyfedarchaeology.org.uk/projects/corscaron2010.pdf

At www.old-maps.co.uk,postcode SY25 6AW,Ynys Y Berfedd appears to have a footprint of two buildings.

The second reference:

http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=22685

I suppose the phrase "..of Lledrod.." can sometimes be equivalent to  "...of the parish of Lledrod.."

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Saturday 01 November 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I have the will of Edward in front of me and, after the first bequest of the Mill at Swyddffynnon to Lloyd of Mabws, it states ...
 "All the rest of my real estate, that is to say, Brynperfedd, in the said parish of Ystrad Meurig ..."
 Note that Brynperfedd is in Ystrad. The next 3 properties are stated as being in 'Lledrod' so there is a distinction between places.
In my struggle to find a link with David and Goley, I should have pointed out that his first acquisition was, what is now Penbryn, and later Ynys a Bryn Perfedd.
 My line of though was diverted to the reason why the Rev. John, (Bryn Issaf) was able to inherit that place, when it was thought that Edward had left it to the Church, for ever. Now we know that it was owned by a member of his family.
Can we have a guess at David and Goley's age; he is first mentioned in an indent of 1683. (If this is indeed him with a brother Maurice), and the next in 1694 with Goley, then in 1719 with a son David.  David could have been born in 1695 thus requiring him to have a son or grandson (named David) for him to be the father of the Rev. Edward etc. It looks hopeless.
 I have a link between Thomas Davies of Lledrod, 1701 Will, in which he shows Richard David as his under-tenant of Tythin Strygos. The properties bequeathed in this 1690 indenture closely match those shown in Thomas Davies. (Looking for link to Joseph Davies, married to Jane, of Bryn Issaf)

I.558
1690, April 3
INDENTURE, being an assignment from John Lewis Rees of p. Carron, co. Card., yeoman, to David Morgan Jenkin of p. Lledrod, co. Card., gent., of a mortgage of a tmt called Tyddyn-ir-eithin-gleison in said p. Lledrod, and a moiety of a parcel of land called Y wein-vawr (being the portion formerly belonging to John Lloyd late of Foesyblyned, co. Card., esq., and his son and heir apparent David Lloyd, gent.) and a parcel of land called Kae-y-bont, and two parcels of land near a bridge there called Pont-ar-gamddwr, which said premises had been mortgaged by the said John Lloyd and David Lloyd to the said John Lewis Rees for £30 on 3 Mar. 1683-4.  Consideration, £30.
 I'll look again for more info on the Lledrod school.
                                 Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Saturday 01 November 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Did you mean Owen Davies married to Jane(with Joseph as their son)? How is Jane known to be of Bryn Isaf?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Saturday 01 November 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
That was a loose reference to indicate which Jane. Don't forget that I'm an enthusiastic amateur of advanced age. Cut me some slack please.
                                        regards Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Saturday 01 November 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I am also an enthusiastic amateur,of advancing age.Slack also required at times.Owen and Jane are given as of Ynysyberfedd in the Lledrod MIs.Joseph in the next grave is simply given as of Ynys.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Saturday 01 November 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
     It seems that whichever David we look at, there seems to be a son or grandson missing from the line. Without readily available documents, (I've only just found out that registry of births for our area only started in 1770, Marriages a few year later), means that our chances of any further progress backwards from David, the father of Edward and siblings, is very slim indeed.
 Analyzing the 'feel' of that family, from my perspective, shows a family that, initially, weren't of any wealth and without assets, (except that Edward Richard was able to give them a good education). The three men eventually move away and marry into property and money. Jane stays put, to marry Owen Davies. If he is the son or grandson of William Davies of the 1701 Will, then he too was a suitable match. We see from Edward's will of 1833 that some sort of financial assistance had been made by him to both the Rev. John and James and this is "written off". Neither of the two are left property in the will but the Rev. John is somehow in possession of Bryn Issaf. I was of the opinion that they were all born in this house and John inherited it because he was the oldest. Now we see that Edward was the eldest so there is the usual element of uncertainty again.
 I think that Knowing the name of the Rev' John's siblings, and the name of his father is about all that we can hope for and I vote that we now call it a day and close this topic.
                     Regards from Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Saturday 01 November 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree,I think we've given it every chance,come up with a partial answer,and will struggle to find anything more.

Kind regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Saturday 06 December 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
       The missing David, the father of the Rev's John and Edward, Jane and James Richards, has been found. He was the son of Thomas Richards of Strygosfawr, the son of Richard David. Our indentures and records show David, son of Richard David, moving to Ffosybleiddiaid in 1756. We also have an indenture showing that Thomas took over at Strygosfawr and that he had a son David. "Hidden in plain view" as they say and I still don't know how we missed it.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Monday 08 December 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Just to be clear,is the following sequence the essence of your proposal

Richard David-(under tenant of "Strygos" referred to in 1701 will of Thomas Davies.Is it his will of
                      1727 also?)

Thomas Richards(son of Richard David?-married to Magdalen and of Strygosfawr,gent in 1769
                         indenture.Died before 1769 as David Richards in same indenture is "son and heir"

David Richards    (son of Thomas Richards as above.Is it this David Richards you equate with
                           Ffosybleiddiaid?Evidence?which indenture?)

John,James,Jane,Edward-children of David

I have also now found a reference to an Averina Richards"of the Ffosybleiddiad family",who,if I have traced her correctly would have been born in 1762.

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-MORG-OSB-1826.html?query=george+osborne+morgan&field=name

Regards
Roger