Author Topic: Longevity  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Longevity
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Had a brief look, i had remembered him from the time of publication, but unfortunately i had forgotten his name. Will look closely later. Thanks again.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Our grandfathers were brothers, but I hasten to add that I have almost forty years to catch him up ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 03:40 BST (UK) »
Though I have no proven centenarians, my mothers Cornwell ancestors were extremely long lived, my great grandmother, Emily Cornwell was born 1850 and died 1941. Many if not most of the women live to be over 90, my mother was 99, and her older sister 98. Incidentally my great grandmother Emily, was born 22 years after my paternal grandfather!!

I don't think I can top 22 years, but it's interesting that, despite there being only 4 years between my wife and myself, all of her grandparents were born in the 20th century, while all of mine in the 19th. And there is 31 years between the birth of my paternal grandfather, and my maternal grandmother (1876 and 1897).
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 06:22 BST (UK) »
Though I have no proven centenarians, my mothers Cornwell ancestors were extremely long lived, my great grandmother, Emily Cornwell was born 1850 and died 1941. Many if not most of the women live to be over 90, my mother was 99, and her older sister 98. Incidentally my great grandmother Emily, was born 22 years after my paternal grandfather!!

I don't think I can top 22 years, but it's interesting that, despite there being only 4 years between my wife and myself, all of her grandparents were born in the 20th century, while all of mine in the 19th. And there is 31 years between the birth of my paternal grandfather, and my maternal grandmother (1876 and 1897).

Much the same here. 4 years between my wife and I, but my father-in-law's parents had him quite late in life, while my own paternal line is a bit more compressed, so effectively my wife's grandparents are of the same generation as my great-grandparents. This means our children have a 46-year gap between their oldest and youngest sets of 2-great-grandparents. I have to bear in mind when I'm imagining their respective lives that they were from very different eras.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
My paternal great grandparents were born 1791 and 1798, my maternal great grandparents were all born between 1844 and 1850, so that is a 53 year gap at least.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
My great, great grandfather died aged 99 in 1916 of old age - he's the oldest I've come across so far and as he was a general hawker I can't see him having had an easy life (still selling paper flowers on the 1911 census)

We also went to my husband's great grandmother's 100th birthday celebrations earlier this year
http://www.folkestoneherald.co.uk/Air-cadet-band-marks-Norah-s-100th-birthday/story-20859088-detail/story.html really want to look into her story now though

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 October 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Today I came across a relative

Edith Jane Steel, she died in Carlisle aged 108. Born 1892 and died in 2000

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 October 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
And of course; the more recent people are better documented, at least in the advanced countries.

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 October 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
 One day under a hundred ,apparently ( his birth was before Ireland's civil reg)- he died of a heart attack whilst shopping in the village  the day before his supposedly 100th birthday( my GG Uncle)

Current oldest living person in our family is my hubby's grandmother's sister - She is currently 97,never had any children  and has outlived all of her siblings. She looks like she is in her 70's. Her speech and her mannerism is that of a much younger person ( no faltering speech, her mind is sharp as anything) -  she  has no children (perhaps that's the secret to long life) We don't know if she'll reach 100 though as she's recently been diagnosed with cancer.

Odd thing though, which I don't understand because I didn't think they tend to operate on the very elderly(they being the NHS). They were going to operate on her for the cancer ( stomach cancer) - she's 97 for goodness sake!
 she went for tests a couple of weeks ago to see if her heart was up to the operation, but it turns out it wasn't (no kidding- I could have told them an almost 98yr old's heart wasn't up to it!) so she can't through with their op.
I'm absolutely amazed that the NHS would  even consider to operate on someone close to a century old.

Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u