Author Topic: Interval between marriage and christening of first child  (Read 2833 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interval between marriage and christening of first child
« on: Friday 17 October 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that ancestors of mine married on 14th April 1822 and baptised their first child on 28th April 1822. So assuming the child was baptised very soon after birth, the bride must have been VERY pregnant when she walked down the aisle.
This seems to be leaving it extremely late, given that surely she would know she was pregnant at least 6 months earlier.

The other possibility is that the child was born before marriage and baptised after they married. But I would have expected something to say the child was illegitimate in the baptism register if that was the case. The records in that particular church have many many illegitimate births clearly stated and in many cases naming the father, so it looks as if the priest or clerk was quite thorough at record keeping.

Has anyone else come across similar "11th hour" marriages
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Interval between marriage and christening of first child
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they deloberatly waited till after their marriage till they had the baby christened for that very reason. They could present the child together as a married couple, having legitimised the birth, so it would be enterred as such.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
How about the birth of a daughter on THE SAME DAY as the marriage of the parents and some 17 miles apart.

10 April 1861 - marriage at St Peter, Leeds
10 April 1861 - birth of daughter at Tadcaster (or so her birth certificate says  :o )

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born just before her parents' marriage and registered after it, to legitimise her. I've not yet found her baptism but I expect that was delayed too. They married across the Mersey (family members knew this) but giving seemingly bogus addresses. They also lied about her age, sending her to school a year late! My father only discovered his mother's true age after she died!

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 14 14:20 BST (UK) »

From The Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800, as quoted on an old post on the RootWeb List for Hampshire:

In the eighteenth century it looks as if the spousals (i.e. betrothal) again became the generally accepted moment at which sexual relations could begin, the marriage ceremony occurring later, often when the bride was quite far advanced in pregnancy. The man's honour was not damaged in the public consciousness, provided that he lived up to his promise to marry despite any possible second thoughts he might subsequently have had; and the woman's honour was not damaged in the public consciousness merely for having commenced sexual relations after the spousals but before the marriage.

newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/HAMPSHIRE/2001-02/0982782632
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 October 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
My g g grandad was born two months after his parents married (their eldest son was born two years prior). Therefore he was registered with his dad's surname BUT his baptism record records him with his moms surname and says "son of sarah". I've always just thought the minister was just being a bit stroppy lol x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
I, too, have a marriage two weeks before a baptism and a few other close calls.

In 1822 a subsequent marriage would not have legitimised a child - it stayed illegitimate forever  :'(

Believe it or not that didn't change until the Legitimacy Act of 1926 which had restrictions.  Those restrictions were not lifted until 1959!

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
I, too, have a marriage two weeks before a baptism and a few other close calls.

In 1822 a subsequent marriage would not have legitimised a child - it stayed illegitimate forever  :'(

Believe it or not that didn't change until the Legitimacy Act of 1926 which had restrictions.  Those restrictions were not lifted until 1959!

I didn't know that c-side...so maybe the minister in my case wasn't being stroppy then, just being precise lol. 
On a side note, (most of this particular line had at least two children before they married) I've also seen on the marriage register for the one girl (20 years after her birth) "illegitimate daughter of ....". That minister just wouldn't let it lie!!! X
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 October 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
I've always supposed that many felt that they'd better check out that they could breed a family before tying themselves up until death did them part, so it was as well to make sure. I've often seen one child born to the mother, prior to marriage, then stated as "Son" to head of household all the way through, with the family surname, and often taking over the family land - so would assume no-one had any doubts!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)