Author Topic: Putting comments on incorrect trees on Ancestry COMPLETED  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Putting comments on incorrect trees on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 October 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
If you do leave a comment on the tree itself --it will alert future researchers that the published info is suspect, and so (hopefully) prevent the incorrect info being further disseminated
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 October 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's a good point. I was thinking more of not publicly telling the tree owner they had made major errors.
Maybe do both - belt and braces!
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 October 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I would give them a gentle reminder as its a direct ancestor in this case!Yes,when one Tree gets it wrong you find other people have copied the info.Whilst I wouldn't like to pass judgement without knowing the circumstances;if the person compiled the Tree quite some time ago,then they were perhaps adding in good faith given the available records at the time.Of course as we've seen recently more and more records have become available.I've altered info on two or three lines myself within the last year or so.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
I did try that even with private messages and it did not do any good telling them that these people were my direct ancestors .....So after that made my tree private now some of my photo's are sitting on some ones head in Florida ...Oh well at least they got a holiday out of it  ;D ;D

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 October 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
You can't send messages on the library system, and if you have own account you can't message without active subscription.

If it matters to you, leave a comment, I've done that a few times and sometimes the owner has put on a follow-up and sometimes not. People make errors for a variety of reasons (though some seem daft like a child born 100 years before its parents!!) and often spotting the error can be appreciated, especially if you have additional info that corroborates it.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Putting comments on incorrect trees on Ancestry COMPLETED
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 October 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
You can't send messages on the library system, and if you have own account you can't message without active subscription.

Thanks, Panic, that has answered my query.  Thanks to all others for contributing.

Tillypeg

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 October 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I found one yesterday that had a child born 2 years before its mother, and a chap who had all his children in usa but seemed to return to uk every cencus year ::). It was such a chaotic tree that I did nothing as I decided the author obviously did not care about accuracy ;)
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 October 14 14:42 GMT (UK) »
comments you leave on someone else's tree on Ancestry can be deleted by the tree owner, so you may not be able to reach other researchers this way -- depends entirely on the person owning the tree :(

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 October 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Is that correct CelticAnnie?  I thought only the person commenting could remove them so will have to look further into this.

I do know that the comments I have put on my relatives (on other trees of course) remain.   Have been ignored, or replied to in a negative way, but not removed as yet. 
If the tree owner removes them I shall just have to reinstate the correct information. :-X

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 October 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The tree owner can remove comments posted on their tree , but cannot remove comments posted on the media on the tree , such as photos. This has been causing quite a bit of controversy on the Ancestry message boards.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk