Author Topic: Shand Family of Aberdeenshire  (Read 35520 times)

Offline karanbil

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shand Family of Aberdeenshire
« on: Wednesday 16 August 06 09:03 BST (UK) »
My Shand ancestors are mainly from Fyvie/New Deer/Methlick areas.
I have got back as far as Joseph Shand/Barbara Godsman.
I know Joseph's father was John Shand of Balnagoak and I think his mother was Jean Massie. I would really appreciate any information.
Thanks
William Lockhart Shand (Bill)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: Shand Family of Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,

I do not have any Shand ancestors (as yet), but just wanted to let you know, if you don't already, about the Shand genealogy work done by the Rev George Shand. There is a wealth of details;

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sooty/shandhome.html

Good hunting,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

A number of the OPRs have, as I'm sure you've found, only the father showing on the birth entry.

You have the marriage of John Shand and Jean Massie on 20 OCT 1745 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland. You then have a number of births showing with only John Shand given as father:

1. JEAN SHAND  Christening: 12 MAR 1752 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
2. JOHN SHAND Christening: 02 JUL 1748 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
3. GEORGE SHAND Christening: 06 OCT 1761 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
4. MARY SHAND Christening: 17 FEB 1759 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
5. ALEXANDER SHAND Christening: 21 SEP 1746 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
6. WILLIAM SHAND Christening: 01 MAY 1750 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
7. JAMES SHAND Christening: 12 OCT 1754 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland
8. JOSEPH SHAND Christening: 25 MAY 1764 Methlick, Aberdeen, Scotland

The last entry for Joseph would fit the age of Joseph (78) in the 1841 Census in New Deer.

With Joseph's death pre-1855 (I can't see any death entries on SP for him), it's hard to prove conclusively. There doesn't seem to be the use of mother's surname either for the John/Jean and Joseph/Barbara's children that I can see.

Have you tried looking for any death details for him and perhaps a monumental incription?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaLes
Thanks for reply
You are right regarding the children of John Shand.
Joseph / Barbara Godsman's children however are shown on Scot Gro, so I'm OK back that far.
Unfortunately I haven't found a death record for Joseph or Barbara.
They are at Mill of Inkhorn 1841 but not 1851.
There was at one time a church of Inkhorn, so they might have been buried there. ANESFHS have no record of it.
Does anyone know if it still exists ?

Regards
Bill

Offline Richardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Bill
There is a Kirk at Savoch, rather than Inkhorn, but I believe that it opened some time after 1851.  The Kirk closed some time ago for regular worship, but the burial ground is still in use and appears to have been extended from the orginal confines of the grounds.  The stones have not been transcribed and the grave digger records will be of no use.  A disgruntled grave digger some years ago burned them!

Is there any relationship that you know to the other Shand families in Inkhorn in 1841 - in particular James aged 55 at North Seat.

Richard
BARNWELL - Donagh, Monaghan; Kilmore, Monaghan; Newcastle upon Tyne; Seaton Delaval, Northumberland; Jarrow, County Durham: BOUTLAND - Bill Quay, Newcastle, Byker; IRONSIDE - Aberdeenshire; JOHNSON - Thornton le Moor, Darlington, Newcastle; JOHNSTON(E) - New Deer, Old Deer, Ellon; LEADBITTER - N Yorkshire, Newcastle; NESHAM/NEASHAM - Newcastle, Byker, North Shields, Monkwearmouth; MITCHELL - New Deer, New Pitsligo, Newcastle

Offline karanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 17:45 BST (UK) »
Richard
Thanks for your post.
I will have to travel and have a look at Savoch.
The relationship to James at North Seat is still a mystery to me.
I have not yet tied him to my Shand family in that area.
I haven't found a MI for him or his wife Barbara Johnston, but their son James who married Margaret Stirling, is buried in Methlick next to John Shand and Ann Cassie from Mill of Inkhorn who are in my tree.

Bill

Offline karanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
I've just looked at a map of the area 1858 which shows the Church of Inkhorn above the Mains of Inkhorn.Travelling west from Burngrains the road crosses the old railway and then there appears to be a right turn to the church.

Bill

Offline Richardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
Bill

That is the Savoch Kirk as it is known more officially.  It is actually on the "main" road which which should more correctly be labelled a lane in common with most of the roads on the map.  When I looked around the graves a few years ago, the only place I could park was a bit of a layby at the entrance.  There are stunning views from it towards the north east.  I don't remember a track to the west of the church. 

A number of people named Shand are buried in New Deer Kirkyard, but strangely they are all women.

I have until now thought that James (married to Barbara Johnston) and John (married to Ann Cassie) were brothers BUT I have no proof.  However, the ages given for James in 1841 and 1851 indicate that he is probably the son of John Shand and Elizabeth Patterson born in 1784 (there was also a John in 1790).  They could very well be first cousins but this is speculation.  The fact that James (son of James & Barbara) is buried next to John at Methlick tends to support that they are related somehow.   I note that he does not appear to be listed on the MI even though his wife Margaret Stirling is there.

Both of the James died at North Seat of Inkhorn and there is no clue in the inventories of their estates to any other Shands.  The family Bible of James' daughter Barbara is still in the area and that also gives no other Shands.

In 1841, James has a David Shand, aged 10, working for him.  He looks as though he is the son of James Shand and Margaret Whyte born 1830 at Methlick.

Could you give me the the texts for the MI's 28, 29 and 30 please?

Richard
BARNWELL - Donagh, Monaghan; Kilmore, Monaghan; Newcastle upon Tyne; Seaton Delaval, Northumberland; Jarrow, County Durham: BOUTLAND - Bill Quay, Newcastle, Byker; IRONSIDE - Aberdeenshire; JOHNSON - Thornton le Moor, Darlington, Newcastle; JOHNSTON(E) - New Deer, Old Deer, Ellon; LEADBITTER - N Yorkshire, Newcastle; NESHAM/NEASHAM - Newcastle, Byker, North Shields, Monkwearmouth; MITCHELL - New Deer, New Pitsligo, Newcastle

Offline karanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
Methlick 28
Erected to the memory of James Shand late farmer Northseat of Inkhorn d.5 August 1878 age 52. William Shand his son died there 20 Apr 1880 age 9. Alexander his son d. 19 Sep 1885 age 23. His wife Margaret Stirling d. 22 Mar 1886 age 53. His daughter Ann Shand d. 21 Jun 1890 age 11.
Methlick 29
Erected by Ann Cassie to the memory of her affectionate husband John Shand late farmer Mill Inkhorn d. 14 Sep 1830 age 39. Their daur Sarah d. 29 Jul in 8th year. Son James d. 26 Jun 1852 age 24. Said Ann Cassie d.23 Mar 1878 age 80.
Methlick 30
Erected in memory of Thomas Barclay, Gowanwell Methlick d 19 Oct 1889 age 74. His wife Jane Shand d.19 Oct 1874 age 54. There sons George d. 5 Aug 1877 age 33. James Walker d.22 Jan 1914 age 72. Jane Barclay d. 6 June 1929 age 72. Robert Shand d. 23 May 1884 age 22.
Methlick 31
In memory of Alexander Shand Mill of Sessnie d. 20 Jul 1912 age 77. His wife Margaret Castle d. 19 Mar 1908 age 69. Their family Georgina d. 27 Aug 1900 age 27, Maggie d. 9 Feb 1890 age 15. Ebenezer d in infancy.

Bill