Author Topic: What happened to Sophia Susannah TUCKWELL nee NATT  (Read 6713 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Sophia Susannah TUCKWELL nee NATT
« Reply #54 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:29 BST (UK) »
Yes it's likely that Sophia went with him to India.

What's puzzling is that there is no record of Samuel's death in the GRO army indexes, and nothing in the India Office registers on FindMyPast.

Those French and Dutch journals must have picked up the report from a British publication - it would be good to track down its origin.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Here's an 1821 mention of Samuel Tuckwell, musician as a member of the Royal Household

"Tuckwell, Samuel Musician 9 Feb. 1821 (LC 3/69, p. 23; LC 3/70, p. 5). D. by 22 Mar. 1866 (LC 5/237, p. 353)."  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43967

This is obviously the grandfather who was living in Brighton at that time. This was during the reign of King George IV, formerly the Prince Regent. See Brighton Pavilion http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/RoyalPavilion/Pages/home.aspx

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
What's puzzling is that there is no record of Samuel's death in the GRO army indexes

Thinking about it this would suggest that he was with one of the native infantry regiments (I think there were several of them with 4th in the title)

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ
Here's an 1821 mention of Samuel Tuckwell, musician as a member of the Royal Household

"Tuckwell, Samuel Musician 9 Feb. 1821 (LC 3/69, p. 23; LC 3/70, p. 5). D. by 22 Mar. 1866 (LC 5/237, p. 353)."  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43967

This is obviously the grandfather who was living in Brighton at that time. This was during the reign of King George IV, formerly the Prince Regent. See Brighton Pavilion http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/RoyalPavilion/Pages/home.aspx
That makes sense.
I have looked at his Army record on Find my Past.
Discharged due to disability.
He was at the Brighton Barracks.
He was in the 10th Royal Hussars 17 OCT 1793  to 5 FEB 1822.
Per this children christenings he left Brighton between 1824 and 1827 and went to New Windsor, Berkshire.
Fairly sure this is him in 1841
1841 census
New Windsor Berkshire
Saml TUCKWELL 61 ba 1780 Grocer
Mary TUCKWELL 56 ba 1785
Eliza TUCKWELL 36 ba 1805
Ellen TUCKWELL 16 ba 1825
Sarah WESTON 9 ba 1832
Richard COULTER 2 ba 1839

Strange there is no Army record for his son Samuel TUCKWELL ba 1810 on FindMyPast. Just trying to work out how long son Samuel ba 1810 served in the army and where he was on the 1861 census with child Blanche Mary Philomena TUCKWELL  born c 1860 Dist Lambeth  and what happened to wife Mary Ann MARCH/MARSH

Leonie

NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
A number of pieces of the 1861 census are missing, including part of Leeds where I suspect the middle Samuel may have been living with Mary Ann and Blanche at that time.

In September 1860 he judged a band contest in nearby Wetherby ("Mr S Tuckwell late band master 5th Dragoon Guards"), and on 1 April 1861 there was a performance of Haydn's Creation at the Music Hall, Sheffield featuring "Mr Tuckwell of Leeds" on clarionet.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
MR TUCKWELL, late Band Master of Her Majesty's Fifth Dragoon Guards, begs to inform the Musical public of Leeds that he is OPEN to ENGAGEMENTS for TEACHING RIFLE or other BANDS, Pianoforte &c. 50 Crimble-Street, Camp Road, Leeds

Leeds Mercury,  16 October 1860

Offline Symons Oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 11 August 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
I am Blanche Mary Philomena Allan nee Tuckwell's great grandson. I fell on this Rootschat subject and have some information of her generations and back to her dad Samuel who was Private Bandmaster to the King. "Mr Samuel Tuckwell, who was private bandmaster to H.M. George IV" Williamstown Chronicle (Vic. : 1856 - 1954) Saturday 23 July 1904.

Blanche's uncle Rev George Tuckwell was a priest at Redfern St Vincents de Paul and was priest in Pau, France. He converted from Anglican to Catholic. I have no siblings with Blanche.

Not sure of your relationship to Tuckwell? Sophia? India?

Cheers
Keith
... in Melbourne, Australia