Author Topic: Clement Stockwell (again) his possible parents?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clement Stockwell (again) his possible parents? NEW Clement's wife Abigail
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
Her marriage to Clement shows her maiden name as 'Abigail Vicars', but also 'Abigail Pirrare'(in 2 separate entries, same Clement, same date).
'Pirrare' is just a mistranscription by Ancestry. The name written in the marriage register is Viccars. The capital V is formed in an unusual way, and it's easy to see why it has been mistranscribed. ;)

Offline lasswade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clement Stockwell (again) his possible parents?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bookbox,

Once again, you have uncovereed sources I never would have found. I have looked at the image of the will you mentioned, and done some of the reading re. Thomas Vicars' career.

I am glad that Anne was Abigail's mother, it was hard to work out where the name Pirrare fitted in, still is in fact. Perhaps Abigail had an earlier marriage before Clement Stockwell, although I cannot see a record for it.

I will continue to look for Anne Vicars' (wife, not daughter) death. She was Anne Neville, so her death would be Vicars or Neville? Perhaps she returned to Berkshire after Thomas' death.

Thank you again, Bea.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 July 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
it was hard to work out where the name Pirrare fitted in, still is in fact. Perhaps Abigail had an earlier marriage before Clement Stockwell, although I cannot see a record for it.
The name 'Pirrare' is simply a mistranscription in Ancestry's indexing. Please see my reply #9 above. Take a look at the original image, if you can :)

Thomas' wife Anne would be recorded at death as Vicars (or variant) -- unless she remarried after Thomas' death.

Offline lasswade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 July 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox,

Sorry, I missed your message #9 re. Vicars and Pirrare.

You have solved most of my confusion about Clement and Abigail - all that remains is the mystery of Clement's parents. I am leaning towards Thomas and Dorothy, who were the parents of Richard Stockwell. Richard and Clement were both clothworkers about the same time, and the same family names recur through their children. Richard had a son Clement, b. 1654, and Clement named two of his and Abigail's children Thomas and Dorothy.

To you and any others reading, I could not have been as far in my tree without your help, so thankyou. Regards, Bea.