Author Topic: Eling in Hampshire  (Read 803 times)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Eling in Hampshire
« on: Wednesday 28 May 14 05:48 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone has parish  records for Eling in Hampshire???

My Kitchen family appears to have come from this area...William Kitchen b. 21 Nov.,1821 , Eling ..John Kitchen b. 1791 , Eling (m. Louisa Munday b. 1800 Eling) ..William Kitchen b. 25 Dec.,1764 , Eling (m. Mary Withers also born in Eling 24 May, 1769).. and finally James Kitchen b ca 1744 in Eling.

Would love to know more about this family which eventually found their way to County Durham and then the last two generations to Canada and the U.S.A.

Anyone come across them ?

Dorothy

Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eling in Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
James seems to have married a Jane and there were two other children that I can find, but no sign of a marriage for them or a baptism for James.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell
I had no lead as to a wife for James Kitchen... and the only child I had was William b. 1764. I believe William was married  to Mary Withers who was also born in Eling in 1769. They had 3 children , one being a girl named Jane. Should have guessed!!! William died 1832 in Southampton. Mary died 1815 in Portsmouth.

I would be grateful if you could pass along James' children's names or where I might find the info. Thank you so much for all of the assistance you provide. It is appreciated

Dorothy
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
The other children were:

James bapt 28 Jun 1758                                 
Mary bpt 21 Feb 1762

In both cases, the mother is listed as Jane.  For William, no mother's name is given.

I found these burials recorded in Eling:

Robert Kitchen 14 Nov 1760
Mary Kitchen 16 Dec 1779
Jane Kitchen 4 Nov 1781
James Kitchen 7 Apr 1783
Mary Kitchen 15 Sep 1785
George Kitchen 18 May 1794
James Kitchen 16 Aug 1796 aged 45
Jane Kitchen 26 May 1805 aged 16
Charles Kitchen 17 Feb 1813 aged 12
Martha Kitchen 21 Feb 1832 aged 43               

Some may belong to the families you mentioned.

There is a curiosity: Widower William Kitchen married Jane Leonard in Eling 11 Sep 1757, which would tie in nicely with the baptism of the first child that I found - except its the wrong first name.  However, I have not been able to look at the original register to determine if there is any doubt about the name.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
Nell
Once again my thanks for your efforts with my Kitchen bits and bobs.
I have been going over the burial names and dates you gave and one or two seem to fit the family.

Perhaps dear William had an earlier marriage, the issue of which was son William. Always a possibility.

Thanks again. Sorry for being pokey in my reply but spring time sets other priorities Ha Ha!
Dorothy