Author Topic: Huguenots/Estoupe/Abberley  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Huguenots/Estoupe/Abberley
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks ;D
Just revisiting my several family lines at Rock, Worcs, and in particular the Whites,
My 7 x great grandfather Richard White baptised at Rock 1713, parents John White and Priscilla,
I now discover their marriage 3 miles away at Abberley, 1 April 1700, John White & Priscilla Estoupe, (b.circa 1675) Abberley being her home parish?
I have drawn a blank on John at the moment but fascinated by the name "Estoupe"

I have not found a baptism for Priscilla but 5 other Estoupe's baptised (1673 to 1683) at Abberley, the father Faulke Estoupe and mother Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Dedicott of Abberley was only 15? when Faulke whisked her off to Bromyard for marriage in 1669.
Faulkes son, Faulke Jnr 1672-1732 left a will,   PCC prob 11/653/218. 18 Aug 1732
His status was "gentleman", his abode Hay Oak(s) Abberley. I note that 2 miles away at Heightington there is a Lower Hay Oak Farm, is this the same place?

Interestingly it would appear that Estoupe is a Huguenot name? ......or
from the place name Easthope some times written as Estopp in Shropshire and not Huguenots

The name has many spellings and corruptions from Yestop to Easthope

Any info, insights, suggestions, avenues of research etc appreciated.

Regards, Nigel  ;)

PS Just found a lot of stuff on the Nat Archives, more wills etc just a question of which spelling one puts into their search engine.
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenots/Estoupe/Abberley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the records on the IGI?

Also FreeReg has Easthop/e s in Cradley & Hallow and also Estab and Estup - all later dates than yours.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL