Author Topic: Harrison/Batchelor Marriage & Baptism Question.  (Read 1674 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Harrison/Batchelor Marriage & Baptism Question.
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

In researching my 4x great grandfather Newington/Newton Harrison, I have uncovered a potential situation that I am not at all sure about!

Newington Harrison was baptised on 10th March 1771 to parents Thomas & Ann Harrison at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

There were a number of other children to the same couple born &/or baptised between 1764 & 1798. I found the marriage of a Thomas Harrison to an Ann Batchelor on 31st October 1763 at North & Middle Littleton.

This is where it gets a tad interesting & perhaps a little uncomfortable!

Thomas Harrison baptised 8th August 1742 to Thomas & Mary Harrison at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire. Therefore aged 21 when he married Ann in 1763.

However, the only Ann Batchelor baptism that I am able find at present is the following:

Ann Batchelor baptised 8th November 1751 to James & Ann Batchelor at South Littleton, Worcestershire. Therefore aged 12 when she married Thomas in 1763!

I am aware of the legal ages for marriage at this period (14 for boys/men & 12 for girls/women), but could a 21 year old male have married a 12 year old female!!! :o

Not only that, their first child was baptised the following year (1764) when Ann would have been 13!

Am I missing other possible baptism(s) for Ann & therefore barking up the wrong tree, or am I on the right track?

Any and all help/assistance/insights etc, will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in Advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison/Batchelor Marriage & Baptism Question.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
without going into the intrinsics of your post,     i will give an opinion to a small part of this.

A christening is not reflective of actual age. Some folk have adult christenings right up to the day of their marriage.....    Unless one sees the actual image in the parish register , you may find the familysearch website has only highlighted a certain portion of information.   As much as there were marriages of minors for a variety of reasons usually the register indicated such...  so again make certain you view original pr for any loose details.....   one also needs to consider 2nd marriage for the individuals

you indicate numerous children born over a 34 year overall period......   I would consider father/ son with spouses christian names the same...... but it is feasible for a young girl to have a large brood up til about the age of 45 or so...   I have seen children born to women that were in their late 50s  but rarely.

a good rule is minimum 9 months to 15 months between children, excepting high infant mortalitiy....

Other folk on rootschat may be able to help you further..... good luck