Author Topic: McGoohan family Oughterragh  (Read 38896 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGoohan family Oughterragh
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 May 12 11:08 BST (UK) »

01 December 1892 Newspaper Subject:    EVICTIONS..Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser; Newspaper Content:    Ellen Magoohan, Aughoo
----------------
Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser Newspaper Content:    
The above were summoned by Isabella Burrowes at Ballinamore Petty Sessions for cutting turf on her bog.   
20 July 1899 Newspaper Subject:    MAGOOHAN THREE YOUNG MEN
-----------------

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser. Newspaper Content:    Case at Ballinamore Petty Sessions versus Ellen Magoohan re; threat to Ellen Magoohan.
Date:    27 July 1893 Newspaper Subject:    MAGOOHAN DANIEL SON OF THOMAS MAGOOHAN AUGHOO
-----------------

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Case at Ballinamore Petty Sessions versus Thomas Magoohan for cutting and taking grass.
Date:    27 July 1893 Newspaper Subject:    MAGHOOAN ELLEN SISTER IN LAW OF THOMAS AUGHOO
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rosie May

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 May 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi to all you who have posted and thanks very much for the interesting information.

I have not worked on my McGoohan side of the family for the past couple of years as I have been concentrating more on the other half of the family.

However, I have tried to look back on the info I had previously collected and it is as follows: (some of it has already been said by Lynda previously)

The furthest we have got back to is John McGoohan born in Ireland c1810, died 1845 in Ireland.  He married a Bridget Dunigan.  On Family Search it states John as being born in Sligo?

They had 5 children.

Edward born 1832
Bridget born 1833
John born 1834
Mary born 1835
Patrick born 1841       All in Ireland.

Patrick then goes to Scotland and marries Sarah Conway in Leith in 1859.  Have not been able to find anything out about Sarah Conway, but presume she too came from Ireland.

They had 9 children, all born in Edinburgh.

John McGoohan born 1810 is my Great Great Great Grandfather, Patrick born 1841 is my Great Great Grandfather, James born 1867 is my Great Grandfather and James born 1887 is my Grandfather.

It is through James born 1887 where the Fitzpatrick connection comes in as he married a Bridget Fitzpatrick.

I have never been able to establish for certain where our McGoohan family originated from as the Irish records I always found difficult to access.

I knew several McGoohans went over to America, then using the name McGowan.

Mick  The name McCartan you mention does not seem to crop up in anything I have found so far. Is it possible for you to please try and look up particularly John McGoohan, as you live in Ireland, as any help on him and Sarah Conway would be invaluable to us in our research.

I believe several of the McGoohan family came over with Patrick in or before 1859 before his marriage to Sarah Conway  and settled in Scotland.  Paticks mother Bridget Dunigan also followed to Scotland and infact died there.

I hope this is not too confusing to you and would appreciate any help, however small.

Many thanks

Rosie :)       

McGoochan/Magoohan/McGoohan/McGowan etc...
Conway
Fitzpatrick
Conroy
McMahon
Carracher
All above Scotland and Ireland

Butler - Lambeth
Maybe Talbot - Kentish Town, London?

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 May 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
The reason our ancestors ended up in Leitrim happened before that   It linked to Castlewellan Co Down  The Irish version of the name was O Cuachain.  They were closely aligned with Mc Cartans and the ORourkes and the lived at that time ni Co Down  They moved to Leitrim and there are estate papers for the Clement Family
they had estates in both Castlewellan and at Mohill Lough Rynn .  The title  Clements had was Lord Leitrim.  There are references to them in Griffiths valuation and there is a paper which I have on the Co Down connection.  My relatives were Thomas Daniel etc  My uncles name was Daniel he was a lot younger but its the same family.  Like you I had given up on the research but discovered this by accident.  Have other info but it irelat es to my grandfather Daniel like poor Ellen he got sentenced to hard labour, got a pardon and it certainly changed their life at the time and the life of others with the same name and related.  There is evidence of this and it was brought up in the house of commons at the time. I live in Dublin appear to be the same age as yourself and am once more engrossed in the topic.   Mick

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Incidental my great great grandfather was Patrick  isn't that interesting .. I have been in touch with some and have some time within the next week to go rooting again I really don't know whether this is public forum or is the place for the discussion to continue ?  I really think a clan reunion is on whenever.  Genuinely I will forward any information I can as soon as I have it  It relly makes interresting reading I am learning how to communicate on this device  Mick

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick,
I have just seen this post and for what ever reason had not been notified....uncle Frankie said that they came from the south...but am not rally sure that he knew this...he also said that they were off the 'tinkers...the lot of them'.  He was the son of Francis McGoohan and Mary Jane Mckay and I will get back to you with all the detail of this search as well...it is on the Edinburgh/Midlothian forum and was done about 4 years ago...we were all over the place with it..
I will get back to you tomorrow  night with details of my McGoochans.

Regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie and Lyndie Loo
This some of what I have found and I hope gives insight in studying social change and history ,I always look at what were the reasons. I always look objectively  at results.
 There is an account of the Dollie Brae Incident that was infamous and emotive at the time 1860  this was an  incident that initiated  movement to Leitrim, for the Mc Goohans, with the McCartans  the connection being the Clements Family, Lord Leitrim who had estates in Co Down.The McGoohans are listed as tenants farmers
of Landlords,the Gore ,and Penroses.   The first clearances from the estates  in Co Down were of tenant farmers to Longford it would appear starting in 1760  They later ressetled around Ballinamore essentially a swampland before the canal drainage was put in .  Aughoo is the Anglicization of Northern Ford in Irish or Gaelic  Ath Thuadh
Dollies Brae was commerated emotively since that time.  The is a lot more info this what I will be rooting out. It indicates we are a rare lot ? With an amazing history
This account I found interesting? Anything in lower case is my comment on the piece.  The rest is verbatim from the extract.  The Irish name for Mc Goohan , was O Cuachain, Mc Guckin etc have the same Irish name. While the links are tenuous to these fanilies ,people emigrating used the se anglicised variations for protection, there is evidnce of this.
Mick
All below except as I indicared in the lower case is the extract
This account of the McCartans settling in County Leitrim was obtained from Patrick Tohill in Carrick on Shannon.  The information originator was Peter McCartan of Kiltygarry, County Leitrim:
This statement was taken around 1900.
'If there is any means of showing such information, I would like to put on record the only tradition I ever met in my 20 years in Connaught, of people here whose ancestors came from Ulster in the upheaval of the plantation. It is that sometime between the Battle of the Boyne and Queen Anne a convoy of families all of the three surnames Mc Cartan, Mc Goohan and Mc Guckian vacated Dolly's Brae near Belfast and moved at first to County Longford, but failing there they settled in the townland of Kiltygarry near Ballinamore in County Leitrim. They are still living there but the surnames have scattered further. McGuckian is so widespread over south Leitrim as to cause incredibility... The McCartans are in fair number round Kiltygarry and for miles out. The McGoohans declined'.
After leaving Dolly's Brae, Castlewellan, County Down, in a time of great upheaval, these families, with all the belongings and livestock, they could muster, trekked firstly to Ballinamuck in County Longford. This area has some of the poorest  land in Ireland. Most of the Mc Cartans had moved into the neighbouring county of Leitrim by 1760, although today the surname has survived around Drumlish in county Longford.
(There are also McCartans near Ballinamore and Newtowngore  A decendant of that family has a similar interest in his history which meshes ours.   Mick)
In county Leitrim the McCartans settled around the town of Ballinamore. A lease dated 1756 in the Registry of Deeds, Dublin, gives Hugh Mc Cartan, Laurence Mc Cartan and Patrick Mc Cartan as tenants of lands on the shores of Lough Garadice. Their landlord was William Gore, from whom they rented lands in Aughlinavallen, Carricknaheegan, and Clinabothin.
(These could be misspelt  Aughawillan  and Carrickmackeegan , Mick)
In Fenagh graveyard, near the ancient monastery founded by Saint Caillin in the sixth century, are an abundance of McCartan gravestone-inscriptions.

On a personal note, I would dearly love to meet anyone with a similar dedicated interest in family history.  There is so much more that I have discovered in relation to the reasons,certainly mine and   your(our) Family emigration around that  time and before.
Mick

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
This is amazing....I often wondered what had happened and put it down to the fact that Irish family history is renowned for being difficult.  As I said, I will get back to you later with the facts as I know them and have them listed...it is at least 2 years since I was doing this research so need to familiarise myself with the names and dates...also it is my estranged husbands side...we still speak so I can call him if I need to confirm anything...
Regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Knroe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 October 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Interested in the Mcgoohan connections.  My Great Grandmother was Maria Smith m Hugh Roddy, Mayo, Ballinamore, her parents I believe were Peter Smith and Julia/Judith McGoohan.  Maria had a sister Bridget I think who married Quinn lived in Drumreilly? and a sister Ann who married Bernard McDermott(RIC) and lived in Ballyfarnon.

Offline Lettie Fortune

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 January 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am very interested in the origins of the McGoohan surname.  My grandmother was Catherine 'Kate' McGoohan.  She came from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim.  I have always believed that the surname is Scottish in origin.  Last year one of my grandmother's nieces, Ellen McGoohan, told me that our family originated from Castlewellan, Co. Down.  I have seen comments on this site from 'Mick' which seem to confirm the origins.  It also gives weight to my own beliefs that the surname originates from Scotland.  There were many settlers of Scottish origin in Ulster.  If anyone has any more information I would be very interested to hear from you - particularly Mick who seems to know a lot about our origins.

Thank you

Lettie Fortune