Author Topic: Joseph Sharkey - Navan  (Read 9226 times)

Offline kwheelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Sharkey - Navan
« on: Monday 14 November 05 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me to track down the Sharkey family?  My Gran Annie (Ann) was the daughter of Joseph Sharkey (formerly a Gaelic Footballer - a minutes silence was held when he died in the 1900's as I saw a newspaper cutting many years ago).  She was born around 1907 and grew up in Navan with her brothers and sisters - Margaret, Patrick (Paddy), Joseph(Sonny), Mary, Dolly and Lily - there may have been others but am not 100% sure.  I think virtually all the siblings came to Manchester to Live and as far as I know Dolly is the only surviving sibling.  My gran looked after her sisters and brothers as her mother was infirm and auntie Maggie lived with her aunt.
My mum Margaret and her brother John Owen spent most of her childhood holidays in Navan with her cousins.  If anyone knows of the family please let me know - thanks

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Sharkey - Navan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 06 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello KWheelC,

The name Sharkey still exists in Navan http://www.rte.ie/comments/comments.html The local GAA Club may be able to assist you. The older members may have ceased playing some time ago but do have excellent memories and tend to know the relationships of most people living in their locality. Do not mistake this for nosiness. It is more a caring interest in their family circle, friends and neighbours. This is a trait found throughout Ireland which gives the island the international reputation of being such a hospitable nation.

The local library http://www.meath.ie/library/branches.html should also be able to provide you with some information.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline kwheelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christopher - I'll check it out!
best wishes
Karen

Offline Jay D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 August 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

My grandfather was Patrick Sharkey from Navan, Co Meath.  My aunt Dolly lives in Manchester and is the only surviving member of my grandfathers family.  I figure from the information I have read that we are talking about the same family.

Jay D

Offline Jay D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Many thanks for your reply. I can give you some contact details for Dolly and for some of Dolly's family not sure if they are still the same, but might be worth a try. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 10:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Jay but along with details of living people e-mail addresses shouldn't be posted here. To remove your email address from your post click on the modify button, delete the address and then click on save button. To exchange details, e-mail address, etc. offline you can use the personal message (pm) system but you have to make a few posts before you can do so (this is an anti-spam precaution).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)
Navan Town Roots 1901;

Pollbwee (24)
Sharkey Patrick & Mary; Anne, Patrick, Bernard.
(54)
Sharkey Bernard & Mary; James, Anne, Mary, Joseph.
(55)
Sharkey John & Bess; Bernard, Mary, John, Anne

1911;
Pollboy st (part of) (55)
Sharkey Joseph & Margaret; Margaret, Mary, James, Annie, James, Annie, Mary.
(56)
Sharkey John & Elizabeth; Bernard, Mary, John, Annie, Eillen, Elizabeth, Bridget.

Pollboy st (part of) (6)
Sharkey Patrick & Mary; Annie, Patrick, Bernard , Mary

Offline gmcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 February 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was browsing through Roots Chat looking for information on my fathers side when i saw your request for information re " Joseph Sharkey" from Navan,CoMeath. My grandfather was a "Sharkey" and my Mother Eileen(rip) all lived at that time next to your
Sharkey. I remember that all of the family had gone to live in Manchester and i had met some of the family on visit home around 1950's. I hope this can be of some help and if you want to contact me please do so, I still live in Navan CoMeath and can be found in phone Directory.   
                                 Gerry McGillick.                                                                                                                     

Offline gmcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
If you go to Navan and district historical society's web page there was a picture of mahony's football team of 1890's with Joseph Sharkey in it, interesting read. hope this helps. Gerry.