Author Topic: McCann / Gibney of Meath 1800's  (Read 8124 times)

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCann / Gibney of Meath 1800's
« on: Saturday 02 September 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Searching for John McCann born in Meath(Eastmeath) in 1828, believed to have a younger sister Margaret and has ties to the Gibney family.  Immigrated to USA ~1847-1852 -- was married in USA in 1852. How can I find info on the McCann family / families that lived in Meath in early 1800's -- is it possible or were they too numerous to count ??  Is there a way to narrow it down if the number of parishes and towns were limited back in those days -- can I find out how many parishes & towns existed in 1828 ??  Thanks in advance for any help ---- 
                                                                     Patrick M. McCann

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Re: McCann / Gibney of Meath 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Patrick

Sorry you haven't had much luck so far.

Check out this link:

http://www.myirishancestry.com/griffiths/search.php and do a search for your John McCann .... might be a start for you. :)

Parishes in Meath listed as follows:

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/civilparish/index.cfm?fuseaction=GetMap&CityCounty=Meath

Many kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
       Your links gave me some more John McCann's to look at -- hope I can figure out if any are the right one or related to my John McCann.  I was looking at Irish Naming Traditions / Patterns in hopes of finding John's parents names -- if he followed traditions then his parents should be Matthew and Margaret McCann but it will not be that easy. His oldest daughter is Mary which matches his mother- in- law's name but his 2nd son's name should have been Patrick(but was Thomas) after his father-in-law.  He named his 3rd son James and didn't use the name John until son #4. His 3rd daughter  (Ellen) does match his wife's name.  John was married to Ellen Hoy -- her parents were Patrick & Mary Hoy who arrived in New York from Ireland ~1836.  I believe John had a younger sister Margaret who married Thomas Gibney -- Thomas also listed "East Meath" as his home on his naturalization papers.  Sorry for the rambling but hoping someone may read this and find a link or have some ideas.
            Thanks again for your help,
                                        Patrick M. McCann

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Bodger,
  I see from one of your posts that you are familiar with Oldcastle.  I have been trying to find ties to John McCann born in Meath 1828 -- I believe he had a younger sister Margaret who married Thomas Gibney(also from Meath) after they arrived in USA ~1847-1848.  I have seen a picture online of Oldcastle with a sign on a building that reads "Gibney's Hardware" -- I'm sure it's a longshot but I am hoping these are the same Gibney's and they might lead me to ties to John McCann -- assuming the McCann's lived in or near Oldcastle.  Looking forward to hearing from you,
                                             Patrick M. McCann -- USA

Offline noreenjoer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Try contacting Jim Gibney  he's at the Oldcastle Historical Society.  His family has owned that building  and hardware store since 1920 and the family has been in Oldcastle for generations .

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 July 14 04:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks -- I just tried to search for your suggestion but unable to find a site for that organization -- any idea how to contact the society and / or Jim Gibney ??
   Pat

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 July 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
gibneyoil@eircom.net
This is an address for Gineys of Oldcastle, if you ask for Jim or James P as he is known locally, he will give you any info he may have regarding Gibney / McCann.
                                                                    bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline noreenjoer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 July 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
when you speak to my cousin Jim let us know how it goes-Ed and Marian New York

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 July 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again -- I tried the e-mail address for Jim Gibney on 7/4/14 but have had no reply as yet -- may try again if no reply in another week or so ??
  Thanks -- Pat