Author Topic: Stackallan co Meath Ireland  (Read 10139 times)

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stackallan co Meath Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:37 BST (UK) »

Hi Shane

I got to see the map you sent in 1890 of the Stackallan Church, which shows the name of the the church as St Mary's church , is there a way to find out when it became St Marys church ? as when it was demolished it did not give the name of the church. 

Kind regards

Kind regards
Tim 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
re Historic Societies etc - I dont know of any first hand, but Co. Meath is particularly rich in history back to prehistoric times, but also many ecclesiastical ruins, so I'd say there are a number of groups interested in the area (although maybe not based there). Definitely worth trying a few searches for some of these. Probably more general than just Stackallen - so maybe look for Slane, the Boyne valley or Navan, as well as Co. Meath in general.

I think the church in Slane is a good place to start - if they dont have anything themselves maybe they can put you in contact with the right group or author.

I'll keep an eye out for any images of the church in books etc

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 12 13:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Shane

Thank you so very very much for all your help it is so very much appreciated, If you do find a photo of the Church please let me know.

take care
Tim

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Tim
have you seen this online site Stackallen which includes details of gravestones for Brownells?

There is a plaque at the doorway from Stackallen Church St. Patrick's Church

There is also on an online site that if not yours should be on interest

Description of Church from 1890s
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 10:25 BST (UK) »
Account from  Stackallen Church 1827

additional snippet including reference to Brownells in Stackallen
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 August 12 03:23 BST (UK) »

Hi Myluck

Thank you so very much for the information on Stackallen and the Brownell family, it is very much appreciated. The information helps in my family tree, I dint know if you might come across any photo of the church but if you do ever do could you please let me know.

Kind regards
Tim              nattai

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Of course I will keep a look out, however, I have all but ruled out a Meath connection where I thought there was one in our family!

There is a man who was very helpful to me Noel French; he is involved with Meath Heritage and has written several histories on the county; he may be able to help further.

Also you may be able to locate a photograph from a 1940s or 1950s wedding!! You would just need to source the family!
Further generations:

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 12 13:07 BST (UK) »

Hi Myluck

Once again thank you so much, I will try the avenues you have suggested

Kind regards
Tim

Offline Royal Fan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 March 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
BROWNELL – Erected by Anna Maria Brownell in memory of her dearly beloved husband Edward Brownell of Gormanlough who died 24th April 1890 aged 80 years. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord. And the above Anna Maria Brownell who died 26th Nov 1904.

BROWNELL – In memory of George Brownell of Stackallen who died 15th Jan 1880 aged 67 years.Erected in affectionate remembrance by his sons. Also Wm. Brownell his son died April 4th 1888 aged 37 years. Elizabeth, wife to the above George Brownell,who died 17th Sept. 1902. And their son Jervis Brownell who died 29th Sept. 1935.

BROWNELL - Erected by Jervis Brownell to the memory of his father Thomas Brownell late of Stackallen who died on the 17th of February 1846 in the 64th year of his age.

BROWNELL – In loving memory of Jervis Brownell who died 29th Sept. 1935 and his daughter Sara Lucy Brownell died 9th Oct. 1912. Also his wife Leah Sari who died December 1939. Safe in the Arms of Jesus.

BROWNELL – Erected by Michael Brownell, late Lighter Keeper, to the memory of his beloved wife Jane who departed this life at her residence Stackallen on the 8th Nov. 1876 aged 75 years …

BROWNELL – Here lieth the body of Thomas Brownell who departed this life the 10th January 1774 aged 72 years.