Author Topic: Tithe Records NLI (updated - now online)  (Read 14129 times)

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tithe Applotment Online
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 November 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Do ye know the Tithe Applotment Books of 1823 to 37 are now available online

at http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

The Tithes are a census of all the heads of households who had to pay a tax on their land in the early 19 th century

P J

Moderator Note : Merged with existing thread

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Applotment Online
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 12 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi P J,

Yes our resources were updated here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,623211.0.html  earlier this month.

Thanks for the information - my area is not included and I have written to see if there is a reason but no reply.  :-\

regards

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Records NLI (updated - now online)
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I received an email today about errors and missing parishes.

Here are some extracts:  (I have added the bold type for ease of reading)

"Dear users,

Thank you all for your valuable feedback on the TAB site which was recently launched. I hope to be able to give at least preliminary answers to your questions in this email.
The information on the site was transcribed and indexed by our partners at the Genealogical Society of Utah. It is well beyond the small resources of the National Archives to carry out such a large task, or to be in a position to verify 750,000 names.
All records for the 6 northern counties are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.
There are a number of problems with the site:
Mistranscriptions of names and placenames: we are working to place an error transcription form on the site, to allow corrections to personal names, which should be available in a day or two. However, it is by no means certain that we will have the staff required to verify and input the suggested corrections.
The issue of variant placenames, which often occur in the books themselves, requires greater scrutiny, and we will be working with our partners to try to remedy this problem, and mistranscriptions of placenames.
A number of parishes appear to be missing from the site; we are taking this up with our partners and will attempt to have them inserted. Please continue to let us know of any further omissions.
A number of parishes are mislocated in counties not their own; we are taking this up with our partners and will attempt to have them correctly placed.

We are extremely grateful for your feedback on the site, and will do our best to remedy the problems identified.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:47 GMT (UK) »
just a quick point about missing townlands or parishes - besides excluding urban areas and non-agricultural land, there were many exemptions. Various types of land were excluded, and not using common rules across the country, and certain major landholders were apparently better at arranging this.

The other point to watch out for is that townlands dont always appear in the civil parish you would expect - i.e. based on Griffith's or the 1851 townland index.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I had written just to ask if there were any records for my ancestral parish. The adjoining parish is there but not the one I would like to look at.

That was the official response so hopefully things may get tidied up and sorted out.

heywood

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure there are missing records from the online version, but just to mention that there are supposed to be 'gaps'. Lots of missing townlands and parishes when I looked at the films.

What parish were you looking for ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Kilcummin parish, County Mayo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I might have a chance to have a look at the Index books tomorrow to see if this was covered, and or filmed - will let you know.

p.m. me the townland(s) of interest

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any of the townlands surrounding Collinstown in Westmeath. It's driving me mad.