Author Topic: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons  (Read 31821 times)

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 17:51 BST (UK) »
The above are the parents of my great grandfather, William Laurie who I think was born in 1837 in Gatehouse of Fleet.  Other than the date of marriage of Robert and Janet (also know as Jane) which took place in 1834 in the Parish of Girthon, I've been very unlucky (so far) of finding out much more about the pair of them.  Both Robert and Jane(t) were shown as deceased on William's marriage certificate in 1882 - Robert's occupation was shown as Mine Manager

Would appreciate anyone else searching for these two getting in touch.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bikers Moll

Welcome to RootsChat!

The family is showing in the 1851 Census available to view free on line at www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx. It would seem that Janet wife and mother of William may have died by this date, given the ages of  most of the children and Robert may have remarried a lady called Agnes?

LAURIE Agness, wife of Robert Laurie, 28, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Anne, daughter of Robert Laurie, WEAVER cotton, 14, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Laurie, 9, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE John, son of Robert Laurie, MINER 16, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Margaret, daughter of Robert Laurie, 1, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Robert, head, MINER, 38, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE William, son of Robert Laurie, 12, born Girthon Kbt

Address: 4 Swan Street, Village of Gatehouse(866)
Parish: Girthon Household No: 4/57

I also noticed there were Laurie families living at No.1 and No.3 Swan Street who may be related to Robert.

On IGI, there are only two children showing for Robert Laurie and Janet Lyons and the names and ages would correspond with the 1851 Census entry:

1. ANN LOURIE  Christening: 20 MAR 1836 Girthon, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
2. ELIZABETH LAWRIE Christening: 28 NOV 1841 Girthon, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 06 20:54 BST (UK) »
Also welcome  :)

I see that you've been here since 2004 so you're and old hand  ;)

The IGI had a possible baptism for Robert. It is a wee bit earlier than the 1851 suggests but census ages are not always accurate:

9 June 1808, Gatehouse. Parents John Laurie and Catherine Porter.

It is a patron submission so this would have to be checked against the Scotland's People site.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It would also be worth following up the family that Monica has foundin 1851 in later censuses. You would then be able to get a better approximation of Roberts death and obtain his death cert. This would show his parents.

All this is available on the SP site.  It is pay to view but very reasonable and, unlike the Eng & Wales certs, the Scottish ones can be viewed and downloaded for about 6 units (1 unit = 20p).

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
Also welcome  :)

I see that you've been here since 2004 so you're and old hand  ;)

The IGI had a possible baptism for Robert. It is a wee bit earlier than the 1851 suggests but census ages are not always accurate:

9 June 1808, Gatehouse. Parents John Laurie and Catherine Porter.

It is a patron submission so this would have to be checked against the Scotland's People site.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It would also be worth following up the family that Monica has foundin 1851 in later censuses. You would then be able to get a better approximation of Roberts death and obtain his death cert. This would show his parents.

All this is available on the SP site.  It is pay to view but very reasonable and, unlike the Eng & Wales certs, the Scottish ones can be viewed and downloaded for about 6 units (1 unit = 20p).

Gadget

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, I screwed up.  Gadget, I did join a couple of years ago then lost the thread.  Today decided to "join" rootschat and discovered that my email address was current (I'm not a blonde - honest) but am rapidly becoming more and more "senior). So had to ask for a password reset

Excuse me, but how do I reply to two messages?   The earlier one from yours makes sense but I don't know how to reply to two messages (or am I asking the impossible)?

I'm impressed at the very fast response - and have been offline for a wee while because OH took me out for a very nice dinner!

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bikers Moll

Welcome to RootsChat!

The family is showing in the 1851 Census available to view free on line at www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx. It would seem that Janet wife and mother of William may have died by this date, given the ages of  most of the children and Robert may have remarried a lady called Agnes?

LAURIE Agness, wife of Robert Laurie, 28, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Anne, daughter of Robert Laurie, WEAVER cotton, 14, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Laurie, 9, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE John, son of Robert Laurie, MINER 16, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Margaret, daughter of Robert Laurie, 1, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE Robert, head, MINER, 38, born Girthon Kbt
LAURIE William, son of Robert Laurie, 12, born Girthon Kbt

Address: 4 Swan Street, Village of Gatehouse(866)
Parish: Girthon Household No: 4/57

I also noticed there were Laurie families living at No.1 and No.3 Swan Street who may be related to Robert.

On IGI, there are only two children showing for Robert Laurie and Janet Lyons and the names and ages would correspond with the 1851 Census entry:

1. ANN LOURIE  Christening: 20 MAR 1836 Girthon, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
2. ELIZABETH LAWRIE Christening: 28 NOV 1841 Girthon, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:39 BST (UK) »
Lucky old Liz. Nearest up here is an hour's drive away  :D

You could just reply as one message, e.g.

Monica ----- xyz

Gadget ---- xyz

If you want to quote, you will see under the reply message box a list of previous messages, with an 'insert quote' in the top right corner - just click that and type your reply. Then, before pressing send, insert the other quote and reply to that. Then press 'send'

You can also edit out bits of the quote but I think we're getting into the 'How to use Rootschat'. Try that board for lots of tips  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
Got a "warning" that while I was typing there was a reply - totally flummoxed - at least for a while.  I do hope I'm not doing this totally wrongly.

Gadget, I have a feeling that you're either psychic or psychotic  - I do need to check out what I'm doing and thank you for the tip to the "how to".

I am, honestly, totally a newbie to this board - my forays in the past have been via Rootsweb email boards and my one time try at this was - not aborted so much as didn't get back to trying again.  I won't be so shy in the future - nothing ventured, nothing gained and Monica has certainly given me food for thought.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
Well I'm not psychotic  ::) ::) ::) ::)  I have been told by many that I am psychic, so we'll agree to that, eh  ;)

You'll get used to RC and all the messages. it's really very logical.

Think you should register with Scotlands People though - if you haven't already.

Gadget