Author Topic: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons  (Read 31819 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 October 06 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bikers Moll,

I tried to reply last week, but see that it must have disappeared into the ether ???

I am not researching the Laurie family, but through my McMurrays from Anwoth/Gatehouse of Fleet, do know something about an Elizabeth Laurie/Lawrie b. abt.1826 Tongland, d. 26 Apr 1898 at Killeron Mill, Anwoth. I do not know who her parents were, but perhaps you have an Elizabeth that fits the bill?

This Elizabeth married abt. 1847 to John McMurray, son of James McMurray and Margaret Sproat. Old James was a weaver and grave-digger in Anwoth, and although it is still a mystery as to how he was related to my McMurrays, I have followed this family and their children as far as possible on Scotlandspeople.

If you're interested, let me know!

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 October 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Scatza

Thanks for your message - unfortunately have been away on business (sometimes the "real" world gets in the way of what we really want to be doing)!

I do have an Elizabeth Laurie but she was born in the parish of Girthon in approximately 1841 (not sure what Parish Tongland comes under).  Haven't yet got back to 1826 so there may well be another Elizabeth in there that I don't know about.  I'll keep this one in mind.

Appreciate your input

Bikers Moll

Offline Stoorie17

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 October 06 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I just joined this forum today after being cajoled by a friend I chat to.

What is it about Robert Laurie's, I too have one, he was married to Mary Irvine and it looks like he died even before the 1841 census, he could have hung on for at least another two years. ;D

Stew
Anderson-Angus
Barton-Uknown/Americas?/Lanarkshire
Courtney-Lanark
Davidson-Lanark
Downie-Lanark
Dunlop-?
Edward-Forfar
Galloway-Angus/Inveresk, Midlothian
Graham-Perth/Lanark
Guthrie-Angus
Higgins-?
Irvine-Liverpool
Laurie-Liverpool?/Glasgow/Dunbartonshire/Ireland
Mathieson-Midlothian
McLean-Argyll/Lanark
McLuckie-Lanark
Miln-?
Phillips-Lanark
Porterfield-Renfrew/Lanark
Stewart-Lanark/Ireland?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 October 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Stew

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I hope you'll be pleased that you joined us. We're a mad bunch- see the Even Lighter Side -  but we all try to help each other as much as possible.

If you need any help with your Robert Laurie, it might be worth starting a new thread by pressing 'New Topic' at the top of the Kirkcudbrightshire board.

Gadget  :) :) :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Stoorie17

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 October 06 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome gadget

I will start posting some of my long losts shortly. My Robert Laurie wasnt from Kirkudbright tho, the family are in Lanarkshire, but he might have been born in Ireland. His wife was born in Liverpool a tricky lot these Lauries in the early 1800's :)
Anderson-Angus
Barton-Uknown/Americas?/Lanarkshire
Courtney-Lanark
Davidson-Lanark
Downie-Lanark
Dunlop-?
Edward-Forfar
Galloway-Angus/Inveresk, Midlothian
Graham-Perth/Lanark
Guthrie-Angus
Higgins-?
Irvine-Liverpool
Laurie-Liverpool?/Glasgow/Dunbartonshire/Ireland
Mathieson-Midlothian
McLean-Argyll/Lanark
McLuckie-Lanark
Miln-?
Phillips-Lanark
Porterfield-Renfrew/Lanark
Stewart-Lanark/Ireland?

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 October 06 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Stew, welcome from me too.  I can testify that this is a great list (even though I can't, at the moment, get onto it as often as I'd like to).  Never mind, redundancy/retirement looms at Christmas (and I'm old enough to be pleased about it) so I shall have much more time then.

I agree with you about the Laurie's, they're a tricky lot - wherever they are from.

Oh, note to gadget:  My cousin was raking about in her loft and came across a share certificate.  Robert's son, William, had bought 50 shares at £1 each in the Caly Mines Development Syndicate so your thoughts about Robert possibly being a small mine owner may not be far from the truth.

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 October 06 18:22 BST (UK) »

Oh, note to gadget:  My cousin was raking about in her loft and came across a share certificate.  Robert's son, William, had bought 50 shares at £1 each in the Caly Mines Development Syndicate so your thoughts about Robert possibly being a small mine owner may not be far from the truth.

Meant to say, the date was 25th November 1908.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 October 06 18:27 BST (UK) »

Meant to say, the date was 25th November 1908.

I have my uses  ;)

£50 was a reasonable sum - even in 1908!

I'm semi-retired and I can recommend it. But a warning - you can get hooked on RC and it's darn difficult to break the habit  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 October 06 19:07 BST (UK) »

I'm semi-retired and I can recommend it. But a warning - you can get hooked on RC and it's darn difficult to break the habit  :D

Gadget

I'm finding that out already.  Just hope I've cracked this quote bit, I always seem to get it wrong ;D