Author Topic: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons  (Read 31818 times)

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Laurie & Janet Lyons
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget, I'll settle for psychic too.  I have registered with Scotland's people (but haven't yet found the deaths of either Jane(t) or Robert).

No doubt when I get to my father's maternal side that will be more of a problem - they're Wallaces - and yes, dad does (or did, he is still alive but now suffering from Alzheimer's) say he was descended from Sir William and that it had been proven - he couldn't though give me documented proof.  Oh, by the way, the claim was before the Alzheimer's - he did say that one of the family who had come "back from Canada" had traced the family - way, way back.  I'll wait for my own proof first but when I told my son (who also now lives in Canada) that father said he was descended from Sir William, my son told his boss about the theory and she said to him "oh how great, you're a relative of Mel Gibson" - hmmnnnn - if Gibson were his real name it might be possible BUT ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
As Jane/Janet - probably Jean as well - possibly died before 1855, you won't find a death reg for her. Scottish Registration began in 1855 not 1837. Forgive me if you knew that. It might be worth your while looking  at Pam's postings at the top of the Scotland - General board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

I do have the Girthon MIs but if there was no tombstone then she won't be listed. I'll have a look.

If you post the names, dates, etc. of the KKD ancestors then we'll all be happy to help you find them. I've got masses of stuff and there are some good online resources as well.

How close are you to an LDS Family History Centre?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:23 BST (UK) »
I believe there is an LDS FHS in Carlisle but I also believe that it's only open when I'm at work - although I could, hopefully, sort something out for my holidays.

I have to say, I'm totally impressed at the amount of pointers offered and the welcome - thank you very much, I really do feel wecome and no-one has made me feel as though I'm "butting in"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
I don't think anyone is regarded as 'butting in' on Rootschat. You might have felt that on other fora but here we're mostly a happy, friendly  bunch who try to help each other when we can  :)

Incidentally - I found about your date of joining by clicking on the small box  with the  profile face in it under your name - it's a shortcut to your profile, which gives the date of joining, your user name, posting info, etc., etc.

See - I'm not even psychic  ;)

Gadget

PS - checked the Girthon and Kelton MIs - no sign of Laurie or Lyon(s)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
S
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:51 BST (UK) »
Ha - clicking on small boxes is not really psychic is it - however, I'll still go with the psychic.

Yes, have had a bit of bad experience on other boards (not totally traumatic by any means and besides which, too long in the tooth for "trauma" in this context) but some boards can make you feel like an outsider.  This one certainly hasn't, I already know that I won't be asking "stupid questions" - not knowing the answer doesn't make a question stupid.
My research, mostly, has been on my mother's English side - relatively new to Scottish research.  However, am learning and hopefully, with pointers, will learn more and more.  I have a fair bit on the Wallace side (thanks to research by family /recently still in Scotland - although I haven't met them in person, and nowhere near tracing dad's "related to Sir William" ). Granda's Laurie's though, at this point, seem elusive but after tonight, maybe they're not.

I believe I have committed the cardinal sin of pooh poohing what was before my own eye (or at least, I may have done) I had seen the census information that Monica pointed out but I did say to myself "wrong wife" - can't be mine.  It really didn't occur to me that Jane(t) could have died earlier and those children were to a second wife - doh!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 October 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've had a look on SP for the death of a Robert Laurie (with variations) between 1855 and 1882. And then on the 1861 census. Nothing comes very close except a namesake in New Abbey who was a farmer with wife Isobel :( 

So it looks like your Robert died 1851 -1855.

Gadget

Offline Bikers Moll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
So it looks like your Robert died 1851 -1855.

Thanks for that Gadget, I guess it's Scotland's people and the OPR's ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:23 BST (UK) »
Problem is that there are no deaths on the OPRs. There are a few burial records for some parishes. There is a link to them on Pam's thread.

I did check the MIs and couldn't find any mention.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:40 BST (UK) »
There is a Robert Lowrie listed in Girthon on the 1841 Census, aged 30 -34. Also with the same GROS ref are:

Jannet, 25 -29
John, 7
Ann, 4
William, 2

GROS Ref 866 - 36- 19

This is from 1 unit's info (20p). It would be worth your while viewing the census image itself.

Gadget