Author Topic: Margaret Brolochan  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Brolochan
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
In my search for my ancestor Jane Bell born 1829 Kirkbean kirkcudbright I came across a possible candidate in the 1841 census listed as being with Margaret Brolochan born 1771 and living in Crossmichael. Her grandmother possibly?
Is anyone able to view the census fully please to see if Margaret and Jane are related? Is Brolochan a common name - I've never heard it before? Thank you.
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Brolochan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Chris

Unfortunately the 1841 census did not include relationships within the household so no way of confirming whether Jane was granddaughter to Margaret.

The only other ref. I could find in Kirkcudbright to the name, so happens also in Crossmichael was this birth:

AGNES BROLOCHAN  Christening: 14 SEP 1800 Crossmichael, Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Parents: ANDREW BROLOCHAN and MARY GRIERSON

If you google 'brolochan +surname' you will see a number of references and variants on the surname.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charles Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a direct descendant of Andrew Brolochan and Margaret Grierson or Grier (not Mary, transcription error for Margt), namely from their son George, elder brother of Agnes Brolochan. I have readthe following (not my research)
A monumental Inscription in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, remembering Andrew Brolochan and family, mentions ''son in law John SOLLY d Calcutta 25.4.1833, aged 36.''
The 1841 Census in Kelton, a neighbouring town, includes a William Sully (as transcribed by Ancestry.The Scotlandspeople origin is very indistinct) aged 7 (or 9, ditto) born in England. He is living with Agnes Rafferty, William Rafferty's second wife, who was born Agnes Brolochan, in Crossmichael. I can not find mention of William in later census returns, nor on Scotlandspeople. (although there are a few other Sollys) If he had died in childhood, the church records in Scotland were poorly kept, so he wouldn't necessarily show up. I haven't yet checked whether he'd returned to ?paternal grandparents.
There is a Burial of John Solly on 17th November 1834, at Howra, Bengal. Aged 21, seaman on the barque Vesper of London. Howra is very near Calcutta. (Source: British Library India Office Family History Search) Although the details vary, it may well be the same man.
On IGI there is also a birth of a William Solly 14/3/1832, baptism 8/4/1832 at Clover St Ebenezer or Great Meeting Independant CHATHAM. Parents are John and Agnes Solly. I can't find a marriage.
If Agnes Brolochan/Rafferty was William's mother, which seems a possibility,( but not proved,) it would mean that my gggm Jane Bell probably had a half brother, William Solly. Agnes Brolochan had a child with John Bell, miller in 1820, and 2 more(including my gggm) in 1826/1829. (no record of marriage/births) If Agnes and John had moved to England (where he was born) to escape censure, then a possible scenario suggests the relationship broke down. John married somebody else in 1832 in Kirkcudbrightshire, Agnes returned, widowed ?, with son William Solly, and Agnes' mother cared for my gggm (41 census) Any views gratefully received

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very interesting input into agnes Brolochan's colourful life! My cousin came across the Solly link too and I have contacted her and asked her to contact you to compare notes. I have a private tree on Ancestry and if you search Agnes B. you should be able to contact me and I will open my tree to you.
We have Agnes with John Bell the miller , no trace of a marriage. we have a son John 1820 , then Wilhelmina ( Willie) Bell 1823 to 1884 whose first married name was Barnes - she lived in the same street in Pendlebury Lancashire as the third Bell child Jane 1829 to 1884 who married Thomas Toolan - I am descended from them.
We have Agnes married to a William rafferty with 3 children Agnes 1835 Elizabeth 1837 to 1900 and Edward 1843.
So , if we also have her with john Solly that relationship would have fitted in between John Bell and William Rafferty with William Solly born 1832 .
Hope to hear from you soon. Chris(tine)
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline Charles Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 October 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Christine,
Sorry about the enormous amount of time since your reply - I got completely caught up in other things and forgot about the Brolochan connection. I don't use ancestry, so can't get back to you Please get back to me on (*)

Charly

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 October 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
It is against RootsChat policy to post email addresses and will probably be deleted.It is also in your best interest to remove it. If you make one more post you will be able to use the personal messaging facility [PM]
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY