Author Topic: brown family  (Read 10604 times)

Offline comfort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: brown family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 14:31 BST (UK) »
hi
thank you for the marriage,
and thank you to everyone for your kind help.
patricia.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Just thought you might find this interesting/relevant  :)

From the 1921/2 Post Office Directory are these two references to Meikle Dalbeattie:

Scott, Barbara, farmer, Meikle Dalbeattie.
Little, Anthony, byreman, Meikle Dalbeattie Cottage.

www.buittle.org.uk/neworder/families/directory1.htm

And you also have from www.dalbeattie.com/history/dbthist.htm

The First Records of Dalbeattie :

The 1627 Statistical Account of Urr Parish refers to the farms of 'Mekle Dalbetie' and Litle Dalbetie', and to the village of 'Cunningham' or 'Conynghame'. Cunningham was sited at the top of Barr Hill, near where the Dalbeattie Burn rapids descend to the valley floor, and beside the sites of the first of the mills. The area was later to have a terrace of cottages named 'Sunnyside', in one of which William Murdoch was born. There also appears to have been a tiny hamlet, - which may have been called 'Dalbetie', - near the point where the High Street bridge crosses Dalbeattie Burn.

The major landholders north of Dalbeattie Burn were the Maxwell family, and the 'Maxwell Arms' is probably the oldest public house in the town. South of the Burn, the majority of the later town's site was owned by the Copland or Copeland family. Both families had their main houses in the Haugh of Urr area, and both were to have a key influence over the development of Dalbeattie.

The 1647 map of Timothy Pont and the 1789 map of John Ainslie contain a large number of inaccuracies, not least being that Meikle Dalbeattie Farm is shown to the south of the Burn, and Little Dalbeattie Farm to the north. In fact, the names are the other way around. Little Dalbeattie Farm was to change its name to 'Waterside', 'Nether Place' and 'Glenshalloch', before it and its remaining lands finally were built over in the 1940s

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline comfort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
hi monica.
thank you for this information,and taking the time, i am really gratfull for everything,
must be my lucky day to day,
thank you
patricia.

Offline kiwigumboots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I have just read your post and am interested if you have any connection to my family tree as my ancestor William Baird who married margaret fergusson were also on meikle dalbeattie farm kirkcudbrightshire.