Author Topic: 1841 CURRIE, a lost family!  (Read 22098 times)

Offline JKCIII

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 CURRIE, a lost family!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi SED:

You're close, but not quite.  Actually I spent a lot of time as a teenager helping my father haul artifacts into the Wingham museum, when it was first created.  So I'm quite familiar with it.  There is a good portrait of Robert Currie there, which I've attached a photo of here.

Somebody has moved Margaret's headstone (with the single rose) within the past year or so, which is a bit disturbing.  It used to be one of many laying side-by-side on the ground along the tree line.  I almost gave up on finding it, before uncovering it beneath a large pile of scrub brush, which I cleared.  But when I returned about 2 years later it had been covered again?  I originally located it and the ones in Elora through the following web site:

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

No additional info in the book on James other than he died the winter of 1853/54 in Guelph Township, unmarried.  So your tidbit about him parishing while working on the roads there is likely correct.

The Bible and papers were last reported to be in the possession of another branch of the family (Bob and Andrew). Who knows where it could be now?  Hopefully it is still around somewhere.

I'd love to join you at the Wellington Museum to do some fact hunting, as I live not too far from there, but unfortunately am booked elsewhere this weekend.

Good Luck!
JKC

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 September 07 12:35 BST (UK) »
Good morning JKC,
If Bob or Andrew might have the 'family' bible I would have no problem asking the favour of a few photographs or the time to copy info !! Just give me a phone number ... lol.
And a peak at John Jr.'s dairy would be very nice, too.
We'll have to meet at the museum someday soon.
Margaret's stone is still on the edge of the river bank and was cleared of scrub brush and the lawns were cut but I worry about this as their graves are in clear danger of being washed away if that river swells over it's banks some spring. The genealogist that I met was very worried about the state of the cemetery and the apparent lack of concern on the part of the town ... but, in my 2 visits there this summer it appears that the grounds are at least kept ... but there is indication that parts of old stones have fallen down that bank and there is lots of garbage that has been washed up there by the river in the spring.
Thanks for the pic of Robert ... I saw it this summer and the girls there took a photo for me and emailed it to me ... I sure hope that the town council starts looking after that museum soon.
So, I still don't have your name !
You know a whole lot more about me ! Come on, give it up and also tell me a bit more about yourself. .. married ? ... kids ? Did you know Anne, Bruce and Duane Currie ? They are the only young Currie's that I knew back then.
If you'd feel better about sharing info with me in another venue please feel free to email me at:
Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You
Will let you know what I find at the W.C.M & A on Sunday.
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 00:57 BST (UK) »
I am pleased to offer an update to the Currie family search.
As we were aware, John and Margaret's son George stayed in Scotland when Margaret and her 6 youngest children emigrated to Canada but nothing much was known after that.
I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from a young woman who is directly related to George, thus, we share common 3rd & 4th grandparents Margaret and John Currie.
Very exciting news, but alas, she has very little knowledge of that side of her family and she now lives in Australia.
Can anyone help us out with any information regarding; George Currie, b. 1817, near Parton (info thanks to johking)
Warm regards
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline LoisW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I have another count to the Currie family.
My ancestor, Mary Currie, married Peter Murrie from Shotts (Lanarkshire) in 1854.  Her ancestry is vague as the family story says she "had no parents living" and we believe that she had lived in Shotts but at the time of marriage had been living in Glasgow with a family called Brown. 
The interesting fact is that the Currie/Murrie marriage took place in Carluke, and I have found no other family connection to there and figured it must be through the Currie family.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Lois

Offline Trace3883

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone! I’m a bit lost on the whole Currie family in Scotland, but I’m in the same boat as you all are. I’m from the Cory line that came from Cornwall, England in 1848 and 1849. (Henry Corry, wife Mary, and one of their son’s William b. 1839)
Going back Susanna Carlyle and Robert de Corry in the mid 1300’s, their son Thomas stayed in Scotland while his 2 brothers and parents went to England. There are “forgotten books” about the “Corrie” family in Scotland. One of these books have a line all the way from Alfred The Great to the Goldie Family marrying into the Corrie family in Scotland. There’s a William from Redbank mentioned. And I believe that covers all the way to the mid 1900’s- not certain.
I can’t find out anything about Robert & Susanna after they were granted a safe pass.
From what I gathered, if I am correct, and we are stemming from the same lines (which I’m sure we are) We come from the Carolingian Kings of Germany from Clovis to Charlemagne. From there, it’s Baldric The Teuton and the Barons of Annandale (de Courcy) that became de Corry (Corrie)...
There’s a Richardi de Cursi that is engraved on church in Normandy as one of the people who fought in battle of Hastings with William the Conqueror. There’s so many ways we could have branched off. This family has been known to live on Courcy/Corrie lands for close to eternity- seems that way...
This family was recognized as being de Courcy since the Carolus King, to William the Conqueror and this Ricardo de curci, and over into Scotland.
I’ve been doing much research on this, and we are definitely NOT the only ones with no answers. It appears that the family is non-traceable once getting into Scotland unless you know who was named what. I have read that a Hugh de Courcy went to Scotland and was a knight along with a brother Philip from 1124-1153. It was during this time that de Courcy became de Corrie. I have also seen that King Robert The Bruce took on the last name of Corry. I have also seen the there’s believe that the house of Stuart’s may actually have been Corry’s as well. I read somewhere that they spelled “Cory” differently to distinguish which family they were from.
There’s also John de Courcy that left England and fulfilled the prophecy. It’s unknown if the person who took his place was his son or not. Which if he was, that puts us in Ireland, and another explanation to different version of spellings.

Offline Trace3883

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 July 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi! I’m Tracy. JKC if you are still on here, can you provide me some more info on Robert de Courcy lineage and his relation with the Annandale de Courcy’s (de Corrie)?
Also do you have any information on Robert de Corry that married Susanna Carlyle? His ancestors or how he descended from Charlemagne?
Also, would you have any info on their descendants?
I’m a descendant of Henry Cory born in St. Austell Cornwall England. Born 1804 I believe. I think his father was Henry French Cory. Henry Cory has a son, William, born in 1839 and they came over from Cornwall in 1849. Henry came over in 1848. From what I can figure, is Robert de Corry was granted a safe passage from Scotland, Annandale area, (“Corrie & ?” was the land they lived on...) to Cornwall England... From there, I’m having trouble tracing the Corys from Robert de Corry that moved to England to Henry Cory of Cornwall England, 400 years later.
Can you help me connect these two?
And can you provide me info on Robert de Courcy on how he was related to William the Conquerer?