Author Topic: Bland, Balmaclellan  (Read 24414 times)

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bland, Balmaclellan
« on: Monday 03 September 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a Nathaniel Bland b. 1788, Balmacellan, occupation Burgh officer and Tailor.    Nathaniel married Mary King b. 1801 England and was living at High Street, New Galloway in the 1851 Census and was 63 years of age.  His occupation in 1851 was also listed as Burgh Officer.   

Children of Nathaniel Bland and Mary King:

Catherine Dalziel Bland b. 1825 married Robert Garrett, Castle Douglas.  After Robert's death she married David Henry.

William Dalzel Bland b. October 21, 1827, Kells.

Nathaniel Bland b. June 10, 1833, Kells.

Agnes Bland b. June 5, 1836, Kells.

Janet Bland b.  July 21, 1839, Kells.

There could have been other children, however, I have not found anymore in my search. 

If anyone has any connection to this family or information in regard to this family, it would certainly be helpful in helping me put together my family tree. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bland, Balmaclellan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

One more child showing on the family's 1841 Census entry. Bland has been transcribed on the index I am looking at as Blaine:

Nathaniel Blaine 50, tailor
Mary Blaine 40 b. England
John Blaine 15
Nathaniel Blaine 5
William Blaine    6
Agnes Blaine    4

Address: High St., Kells

Regards.

Monica

Just in case you have got your dates out, these are the christening entries for daughters Janet and Agnes:

JANET BLAND  Christening: 16 NOV 1830 Kells, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
AGNES BLAND Christening: 05 JUN 1836 Kells, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage of William b. 1827 to an Isabella McMinn. This looks like him in the 1871 Census:

William Bland    42, gardener, b. New Galloway, Kirkcudbright
Isabella Bland 36, b. Buittle,  Kirkcudbright
William Bland    8, b. Dumfries
Walter Bland    6, b. Dumfries
Andrew Bland 1, b. Dumfries

Address:     Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries

This looks like some of their children's birth entries on IGI at www.familysearch.org:

1. NATHANIEL MCKIE BLAND Birth: 17 OCT 1864 Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland
2. ANDREW MCMINN BLAND Birth: 11 NOV 1869 Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland
3. GRACE MCMINN BLAND   Birth: 29 FEB 1872 Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland

And William and Isabella's marriage entry:

WILLIAM BLAND  Marriages:Spouse: ISABELLA MCMINN    
Marriage:  17 JUN 1864 Rerrick, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

Their marriage entry on Scotlands People would let you confirm the name of his parents to verify its the correct William.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so very much for the information, I am very grateful as I have been stuck on my Bland family for a long time. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Waterfall  :)

I have a very early census for Balmaclellan 0 1790s - which lists al the inhabitants in family groups. Also various other local bits and pieces from there, Kells (New Galloway) and Parton.  I'm in the middle of moving house and, unfortunately, I haven't brought them with me. I'll be going back towards the end of next week and check up on your Blands then.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thank you so much for replying to my posting, I really look forward to hearing from you in the near future.  Hope the moving house goes smoothly.....

Regards
Waterfall

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Just read your post and wondered if you could help me as well ? My ancesters were born in and around Balmaclellan and Parton ... maybe you could look up the Currie's there and supply info that I still don't have. In particular looking for William Currie, son of John and Margaret (McCartney) Currie. Also any info on the McCartney family would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
Sharron Elizabeth
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Just read your posting and wondering if you have a connection to the Bland, Heron, Dalziel, Smith and Garrett families of Kirkcudbright, New Galloway, Kelton, etc.  If so, I would appreciate hearing from you as I do believe our family had a Currie connection. 

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 04:54 BST (UK) »
[
I have a very early census for Balmaclellan 0 1790s - which lists al the inhabitants in family groups. Also various other local bits and pieces from there, Kells (New Galloway) and Parton.  I'm in the middle of moving house and, unfortunately, I haven't brought them with me. I'll be going back towards the end of next week and check up on your Blands then.

Regards

Gadget

Hi Gadget
I would really like a copy of the 1790's list you have of the inhabitants in family groups in the Balmaclellan, Kelton and Parton region.  I think it would help me a great deal sort out of some of my family. 

Also is it possible that you could look up the marriage certificate of William Dalyell(Dalziel) Maitland Bland born October 21, 1827 Kells to Isabella McMinn on June 17, 1864 at Rerrick.  I am trying to figure out if is name was indeed William Dalyell(Dalziel) Maitland Bland and if this name was added to his birth name because of some family connection to the Maitland family as the Maitland family were prominent in the Kirkcudbright area. 

NOTE:  William's middle name has been spelt Dalziel, Dalzell and Dalyell).  William had one sister carrying the middle name of Dalziel (Catherine Dalziel Bland born 1825 and married to Robert Garrett). His other siblings carried the middle names of McKie or McMinn.  So this kind of puts things in a different persecptive as I guess have been going mostly on the scottish naming patterns and getting four different names in one family has me put of track especially when I cannot find a Dalziel, Maitland or McKie ancestor.  The McMinn name of course would come from his mother Isabella Bland. 

In the 1871 census William Dalziel Maitland Bland was a gardener, age 42 living at Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries.   Any information on Loch Vale Cottge, Dumfries or who owned it? 

In the 1881 census he was listed as living in England as a gardener/domestic servant at Cart Lane Seawood Cottage, Upper and Lower Allithwiate, Lancashire, England.  Any information on Cart Lane Seawood Cottage?

If you can be of any help I would surely appreciate it.