Author Topic: Bland, Balmaclellan  (Read 24413 times)

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bland, Balmaclellan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 February 13 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi bluerenwick
It is interesting that you are from Salford when two of my ancestors William and Nathan Bland ( my GGGrandfather) went to Withington Lancashire after a brief time in Allithwaite Grange-over-Sands, presumably looking for work in the building trade

Regards SilverSprat
R Bland

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 October 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Jessie Bland, born c1845, Scotland, who married my 1st cousin 4x removed Edward Shaw, born 1848 at Balmaclellan.  They were married in 1873 at St James's Church, Toxteth, Liverpool.  Her address given was 12 Newton Street.  Father - William Bland, Clothier.  Edward's occupation is Draper.  I found a Jessie born c1845 in 1871 Census, living at King Street, Castle Douglas.  Her father was a William, born Twynholm, occupation - tailor.

Tom

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 October 14 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Jessie Bland, born c1845, Scotland, who married my 1st cousin 4x removed Edward Shaw, born 1848 at Balmaclerellan.  They were married in 1873 at St James's Church, Toxteth, Liverpool.  Her address given was 12 Newton Street.  Father - William Bland, Clothier.  Edward's occupation is Draper.  I found a Jessie born c1845 in 1871 Census, living at King Street, Castle Douglas.  Her father was a William, born Twynholm, occupation - tailor.

Tom

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 June 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All, I am new to this site, I have just discovered it as I am doing my Ancestry.  My Great, Great Grandfather was William Dalzell Maitland Bland B 1827 - D 1904 he was married to Isabella McMinn. B 1833 - D 1907
I would love to find out more about this as based on the Census it states they resided at Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries.

Many thanks for any info. Shopper 123

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 June 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is another post here on RC for Loch Vale Cottage in Dumfries. See

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=264600.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 June 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello shopper123 and welcome.
This is an old thread and the original poster hasn’t been on for a long while. Hopefully they will get notification.
In the meantime, what exactly do you want to find out about your Bland family?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
Goodness, this takes me back!

Welcome, Shopper  :) 

The link that Monica has given has information that you will find useful, including the sale of the property in 1879.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 June 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Neale1961, you asked me what I want to know about the Bland family well there is so much.
My father who has now died had on his birth certificate the name James McMinn Bland however, we have been told that McMinn is not a Scottish name but, possibly Irish so we are intrigued to know if this is correct.  With regards to the Ancestry side of things I have managed to go back as far as William Dalzell Maitland Bland's parents who were Nathanial Bland B 1788 - D 1859 and Mary King B 1801 - D 1877.  We cannot find any parents of Mary King but, they all to be born or lived around Kirkcudbright.  We would love to know more about her side of the family.  Also, and lastly, Nathanial Bland who was born 1788 his father was John Bland B 1758 - ? and his mother was Janet (Jean) Heron B 1766 - D 1791.  Here we draw a blank.  So, if you or anyone could shine some light on this side of my family I would be so grateful.  Many thanks Shopper 123

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Silversprat,  I too am new to Rootschat.  My 2nd Great Grandparents are also William Dalzell Maitland Bland and his wife Isabella McMinn.  In 1881 I also have them living at the same address which I cannot find anywhere on Google earth! It would appear that they must have moved from Scotland possibly for work, I am not sure.

Another person on this loop also had dates of birth for Nathaniel Bland, Agnes Bland - I do agree with their dates however, I believe that the date of birth for Janet Bland was 1835 not 1830 as based on the 1871 Census it stated her age as 36 so working backwards that would make her born in 1835.  Maybe this person who states Janet's birth as 1830 has an actual Birth Certificate as I do not.  Would be grateful once again for any information.  If I can help anyone in anyway I am more than welcome. Shopper123