Author Topic: Bland, Balmaclellan  (Read 24415 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bland, Balmaclellan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 08:52 BST (UK) »
For Waterfall - sorry no Blands or Maitlands in the early census

However, there is a Margaret Dalzel, wife of a James Blain living at one of the Shirmers farms (the area to the south of the parish running down Loch Ken)

There are no marriage certificates in Scotland before 1855. What there are are Banns/marriage entries in the parish records. These are available on the IGI ( www.familysearch.org) or on Scotlands people

I have no info on Loch Vale cottage, Dumfries

Also, it might be worth you putting these up as separate queries as they span different family groups and both counties.

I also note that you've got a question re Lancashire in there. That again is another board.

For Sharron Elizabeth - can you give some dates please?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
Sharron

I'm not sure if this is your John Currie/Curry and would love his dates.

This is an extract from a letter that my 3 x grt grandfather wrote in 1835 which describes his journey from Balmaclellan to a farm in Merionethshire, Wales. They went by sea and landed near Birkenhead:

I told John Curry and got him to come all the way. All things being ready or nearly so, on the term our wife had another daughter which we called Agnes. So we had to stop to eight of June And to make things well... I freighted a sloop, or at least John Currie did to take the things to the gentleman. She belonged to Kirkcudbright. She was to meet us at Creetown. So William Stewart, Scroggie, John Currie's horse and two of our own with two new carts and a young  chestnut mare all made off on 6 of June, pretending I had a farm taken at the shore. So it was not known to some of the carters (until) they were out or, I may say, near the sea. And left all our old things in Scroggie's Barn. I never will get anyone forwarding for (me), and much money. All is lost as Samuel was never very active. So they stand. We stayed all night in Kirkbrid (Kirkbride - a farm just outside Creetown)  with our old friend.

I pray Noah being charged dearest and worst used on our journey. We shipped on Saturday and was to be landed in Cheshire at or anent (level with) Liverpool. We expected to land at our destination  Sunday evening but unfortunately it, I may say, came on a storm. We, on Sunday, was under mid -sails and running into disaster and cast anchor where we had to out and cut grass drives for our cattle and sheep and carry water. Fortunately, I had corn and some hay for the horses on board. We made out again and on Tuesday we came to port. It being low water, they cast anchor again in  River Mersey. John Currie and Robert Wilson went out to look for grass. It came such a hurricane there could be no continuation. (It was not until) Wednesday evening before John or Robert could get in. I have not seen a stormier day since, although we have seen many. So on Wednesday evening after dark we got all our cattle out, and on Thursday we got our furniture and our two carts.

The words in parenthesis are my explanations while I was transcribing it.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
My gr.gr.grandfather, Robert Currie, was born Nov.18,1829, near Balmaclellan. He is the son of John (questionable whether he might also be Thomas) Currie, b.1790, d.abt.1840, Scotland, who m. Margaret McCartney, b.1790, d. Feb.19,1871 in East Wawanosh, Ont., Canada.

Margaret McCartney Currie emmigrated to Canada in 1849 with 4 of her sons and 2 daughters. 2 other sons went to Australia and 1 son (William ?) stayed in Scotland. I would love to be able to follow Williams' trail.
Also, Margaret's history would be nice to find. I have no info on the McCartneys at all. She was a brave woman, or a desparate one, to pick up, leave 3 sons behind, and take the rest to Canada. I do not have a picture of her but I do know there is one very small one in existance with some relatives here ... my next chore.
Thank you for your assistance,
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharron

This is all very interesting because part of my Burgess family went over to Ontario from the same area around the same time - a brother, John, had gone over earlier in the 1820s.

There just might be some friendship/neighbourly link here, given the reference in the letter. Leave it with me and I'll have a look.

It won't be straight away though.

Regards

Gadget

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 February 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I've kind of gotten off track since Christmas but I'm ready to dive back in to this genealogy thing.
I was wondering if you had been able to find out anything further on the John Currie referred to in your g.g.g.grandfathers diary.
I know that my g.g.g.grandfather, John Currie, worked on farms and moved from farm to farm as all his children were born in different parts of the country around Kirkcudbright.
I would still like to be able to find some McCartneys who are looking for a long lost aunt, or at least a little history of the McCartneys. John's death date would be nice to find as well.
I know this is putting a lot on you but I am willing to be directed in any direction for some answers.
With warn regards,
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline bluerenwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a problem with my tree all the biths of Janet Bland and William Renwick's childern have mother listed as Janet Bland, but on my 2nd great grand father's death cert it as them listed as James Renwick & Agnes Bland. Now on Janet's death cert her age is 55, which would make her b
1936 the same as Agnes. Not found anything on Agnes used all my credits up on scotlands People.I did find info on the family on Family Search . ORG
I did find a Marriage For William Renwick & Jenny Bland March 1852 but the cert is no good for any info
RENWICK Dumfries Scotland

Offline bluerenwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
William Dalzell Maitland
birth: 04 Oct 1827
christening: 21 Oct 1827 — , KELLS, KIRKCUDBRIGHT, SCOTLAND

Agnes Bland
birth: 02 May 1836
christening: 05 Jun 1836 — , KELLS, KIRKCUDBRIGHT, SCOTLAND

Janet Bland
birth: 10 Oct 1830
christening: 16 Nov 1830 — , KELLS, KIRKCUDBRIGHT, SCOTLAND

Nathaneil Bland
birth: 05 Jun 1833
christening: 10 Jun 1833 — , KELLS, KIRKCUDBRIGHT, SCOTLAND

RENWICK Dumfries Scotland

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 February 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
An old thread this from Oct 2007 by Waterfall2007, but I could really fill in some blanks about William and Isabella Bland after they moved to Cart Lane Seawood Cottage, Upper and Lower Allithwiate, Lancashire, William Bland was my GGGGrandfather. Just revisiting my family tree and came across this so if you see it do reply please.

regards SilverSprat
R Bland

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Message to bluerenwick. I have only just registered on RootsChat so cannot send you a PM yet, more than willing to help, could you reply to this post with more info. I think after I have made 3 posts total I will be able to send PM's?

Regards SilverSprat
R Bland