Author Topic: landsborough/tait/carson  (Read 22593 times)

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
landsborough/tait/carson
« on: Friday 19 June 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Does any one out there know anything about the Landsborugh/Tait families from Urr. I have found a record for a David Landsborough born 1812 and his father is William Landsborough a farmer who married a girl called Helen Grierson.  I think that I may be the only surving relative of the Scottish branch of my family.  Darlomac

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: landsborough/tait/carson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
just joined "roots chat" & came across your searchy for Landsboroughs. I am pleased to tell you that my mother in law ( now sadly deceased) was a Landsborough & my husband's cousin has traced the Landsborough family tree  back to about 1100 (you were probably related to Robert the Bruce! --just joking but it is a very interesting tree with relatives in Australia who have quite a large area named after them (or rather him as he too was a William Landsborough. It would be great to hear from you as there is lots to tell you. If you go to Irongray churchyard,which is quite close by if you are in Kirkcudbright(  I know it well) there is a grave with "William" & Helen Grierson on it  & . all but one of William's children . The one who survived was my husbands ancestor ( & presumably yours) If he had died too neither of you would be here today & I wouldn't be writing this . All of which makes tracing family history so interesting. I noticed it was awhile since you accessed roots web but hope you manage to read this . cheers . dolour

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Wow what a surprise your message is. I never thought I would ever hear from anyone connected to my family.  My connection to the Landsborough's comes from my great grandmother who was Janet Tait (she married Hugh Carson in 1873). On her marriage certificate it gives her mother as Janet Tait nee Landsborough (deceased) and one of the witnesses is David Landsborough. I understand that the Tait children were living with him and his sister in Meikle Larg Crocketford in 1851. I hope there is a connection to your family and that I have not got everyone mixed up.

Thanks in advance Darlomac.

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
great to hear from you, sorry I haven't replied earlier, we have a little caravan & have been away for a few days (not to Scotland unfortunately)
So ! where do I begin !  I have been looking over the family tree & you  & my husband are definitely from the same Landsborough line. I'll begin by telling you about the churchyard memorial at Irongray.It was erected by William Landsborough in Meikle Larg ,parish of Urr in memory of his children. Lillius d 1823 age 21. william d 1823 age 25 Marion d 1824 age4. thomas d 1827 age17 robert d 1828 age28 james d 1830 age22 . also william himself d 1835 age 67 & his wife helen  Grierson d 1833 aged 59 .Also his daughter Janet (your relation) who died 30 March 1843 aged 38 years & Mary d 1879 age 79 years. Interesting that Janet is buried with her parents . I can't find a record of her marriage ,I'm afraid as most of the information I have is on the Landsborough side ,as it follows Roberts line as he is my husband's direct ancestor.
However there is a record of a gravestone for Robert Tait  (Janet's son) ."In loving memory of Robert Tait died at Crocketford 19 june 1866 aged 27 . He is buried with Ellen Landsburgh, his aunt & Janet's sister who died at Crocketford on October 13 1881 aged 68. So i am presuming that Ellen brought him & presumably his sister Janet up ? ( you gt grandmother).   I hope you can follow it so far !
I also have a record of David Landsboroughs death in Crocketford on 13 september 1888 aged 76 . he never married  & it  would appear he did bring up his nephews &  nieces as his death was reported by Agnes Tait . I have run out of space ! so will write again soon. cheers!

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  Hope you had a very nice break and that the weather was kind to you.  As I was growing up my mother told me stories of her Scottish family but when you are young you do not take to much in. My main research start was my grandmothers birth certificate. She was Mary Agnes Carson and her parents were Hugh Carson and Janet Tait who married in the Parish Church of Urr on 17/11/1873. It shows her mother as Janet Tait (deceased) nee Landsborough and it was witnessed by David Landsborough. From the Census records I managed to find David Landsborough in 1851 with several of the Tait children living with him and his sister in Meikle Larg. A lovely lady from the village of Crocketford has just sent me some pictures of Meikle Larg and it does look very rural, although the property is no longer lived in.. I only wish my mother was alive today as she would have been over the moon with all this info. My mother's father William Watson died in 1930 at the age of 70 or 76( depending on who was telling the story) when she was only 11. His date of birth is a mystery I do not think I will ever solve as he was 25 years older than my grandmother and I know she was ashamed of this as it was an arranged marriage. I look forward to the next episode and thank you very much. This info has really cheered me up. DM.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re:LANDSBURGH gravestones
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Excuse me butting in.
There are actually five LANDSBURGH gravestones in Kirkpatrick Irongray kirkyard.
I have photographed the site -- See http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal
There is just the one in nearby Holywood kirkyard.
Note:
Scottish gravestones are Family Memorials and don't necessarly just list those buried there.
It is not uncommon to list names buried elsewhere.
Here are the MIs
In Memory of
Robert TAIT, who died at Crocketford 19th June 1866 aged 27 years
Also Ellen LANDSBURGH, ant of the above, who died at Crocketford Oct 13th 1881 aged 68 years
Also Mary TAIT, niece of the above, who died at Crocketford 3rd Sept 1885 aged 26 years
"Deeply regretted"
Erected by William LANDSBROUGH in Meickle Larg, Parish of Urr
In Memory of his children:
Lillias, died the 30th July 1823 aged 21 years
William, died the 4th Aug 1823 aged 25 years
Marion, died the 19th April 1827 aged 17 years
Robert, died the 16th July 1828 aged 28 years
James, died the 22nd March 1830 aged 22 years
Also Helen GRIERSON, spouse to William LANDSBROUGH, who died 14th Septr 1835 aged 67 years
Also Janet LANDSBROUGH, who died 30th March 1843 aged 38 years
Mary, died the 24th April 1879 aged 72 years
In Loving Memory of
John LANDSBURGH, died at Hillhead 20th Novr 1920 aged 64 years
Also his wife Jessie CURRIE, died at Hillhead 19th June 1934 aged 77 years
Robert John, youngest son of the above, died 19th March 1959 aged 65 years
In Loving Memory of
Mary SMITH, beloved wife of William LANDSBURGH, died 17th February 1937 aged 31 years
In Loving Memory of
Robert MAXWELL, beloved husband of Jessie LANDSBURGH, died 17th Oct 1963 aged 77 years
Also Jessie LANDSBURGH, beloved wife of the above, died 30th March 1968 aged 79 years, late of Fernlea, Shawhead
"Forever in our thoughts"

In Memory of
Mary LANDSBUROUGH, who died the 10th April 1790 aged 1 year
Also Margaret LANDSBUROUGH, who died at Newtonridge the 7th of August 1814 aged 11 months
Also Margaret LANDSBUROUGH, who died in Glenfoot the 12th April 1812 aged 3 years
Also William LANDSBUROUGH, who died in Wellington the 5th March 1824 aged 12 years
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Thank you very much for butting in. I am awash with info about my family and cannot thank you enough. Your photos have blown me away as I had no idea that the area's my family lived in are so beautiful. The only time I came to Dumfries was in the 70's with my parents and mum and I spent an afternoon looking round St Michaels churchyard to try and find Gravestones of the Tait's and Carson's to no avail. I now know that a further visit is mote than over due.   dm.

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
hello again  d m, from your "post" it looks as though you have received other info about your family , or at least about the area, which is good news. I have been re-reading all that my husban's cousin discovered, but please bear in mind that this was in 1976! long before internet access to Ancestry. co .uk !
So before I tell you what I know , I can tell you that I went to family search.org last night & found the record for the marriage of William Mclandsborough( they kept changing the spelling,just to confuse future researchers!) & helen Grierson . It was 18/6/1797 at Irongray church.& also on that site was ,a record of baptism for janet Mclandsborough on 20/10/1803 (same place). Was she your
gt gt grandmother?
If you don't already know of that site , it's certainly worth a visit.  so to try & prevent you going off at tangent with all the Landsboroughs Mc's & landsburghs, I think you should stick with the William Landsborough line, as he is your direct ancestor ,as he was Janet's father. John & jessie L are my husband direct ancestors, as is Robert Maxwell. So I can't help you with the Taits & Carsons , I'm afraid ,but if you want to go back from William & Helen then I have lots of information there.

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
just continuing from earlier, there isn't enough space ! Iwish I could show you the family tree.
according to my husbands cousin's research,which was all foot slogging in those days,Williams parents were Robert & Janet ,but it seems that their surname was Mclamroch.I'm sorry that there doesn't seem to be absoloute proof of this,other
than Gaelic names were Anglicised & simplified(!) after Culloden & MClambroch became Mclamburgh & then Landsburgh & later Landsborough. Some members of the family keeping the MC longer than others. I don't think it was customary to have birth certificates (or a legal requirement in Scotland in the early 18th century. ) so we need to look for Parish records ie baptisms & marriages.Anyway this tree goes back to 1400,but in all honesty I don't know how he discovered the name change from Mclamroch, maybe thats a challenge for you. ? We have a lot more records online these days,but a lot of information can still only be found from parish registers. it would be great if you could visit the area,it's the nicest in the world ( we lived there for 10 years, but thats another story!