Author Topic: Thomas Imrie  (Read 23095 times)

Offline cmg414

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Imrie
« on: Saturday 20 June 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching a Gibson family from Tarbolton, Ayrshire and I wondered if anyone can help me in trying to find Thomas Imrie who was the father of George James Imrie born abt 1807. I know that George died on 15 sep 1875 in Crossmichael and that he was married to Janet Bell from Cummertrees. George's daughter Rachel Imrie married James Gibson and his granddaughter Janet Imrie married their son James.

cmg414   
Ayrshire: Gibson, Imrie, Rainey
Fife: Gibson, Pitbladdo
Lancaster and Dent: Brown
Hereford and New Tredegar: Prosser, Napper
Liverpool: Brown, Gibson
Glasgow: Brown, Gibson
York and Ashton under Lyne: Gilboy,Gilbey,Gargan

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Imrie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
birth cummertrees   rachel daughter of george imrie and janet bell 14th june 1830    csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
marriage tarbolton   james gibson and rachel imrie both in this parish  gave in their names for proclamation of banns in order to marriage 21st june 1851 and were married 4th july following by david    looks like ritchie minister of tarbolton   csc

Offline cmg414

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
Have looked at Dumfries and Kirkcudbright as suggested. Really good info. I have managed to trace the Imrie connection from my grandfather Thomas Imrie Gibson back to George Imrie and Janet Bell via Rachel and James and Janet and James. I have Janets parents as Janet Hethrington and George Bell but the only thing I have for George James is that his father was Thomas Imrie, Nurseryman which I obtained from George's death record. There was no mention of George's mother on the record. Any suggestion on how I can find Thomas and whoever was george's mother??

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
it says on the census,s he is born thornhill on one dunscore on another and islington dumfriesshie which i have never heard of there are a lot of imries here the connection between him and janet has to be timber her dad george is a joiner/millwright brother charles and richard joiner sawyer millwright also benjamin is a millwright  george imrie is a timber merchant  in the 1841 census he is called george imrie jnr this family have a habit of adding names that are not on their birth papers there are also imries in kirkmichael  mother is called margaret mcvitie i think we should have another look at the childrens names  one of them would surely be named after his mum  rachel is janets grannys name janets sisters are rachel ellen mary brothers benjamin george charles and richard  so that leaves the rest of the names george imrie has ended up a wealthy man we have downloaded his will i think these imries nurserymen in ayrshire will be related they also have american connections  if you look at another entry i have for janet kerr/john wilson she is janet imries neice my ggg granny mary kerrs sister    she also knows the dixon/dicksons i have been looking for they are the brothers of her sistermarys mother in law we are now finding more and more in kirkcudbrightshire  they were also in carlisle for a while george was born there and then reg in urr  will keep adding  csc

Offline cmg414

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,
I think that you are correct about the wood/timber connection as in the direct line from George James the occupation of timber/wood merchant keeps occurring, George Bell and relations involved with wood and the Gibson men mainly joiners etc . Also the american connection looks good because George's son Benjamin, born in Tarbolton then moved to Springfield Crossmichael, who was an architect/land surveyor married agnes wilkie in Ontario Canada 7 aug 1890, they lived in Castle Douglas 2 children being born there. It looks as if Benjamin was only in Canada a short time and may have been visiting relatives(???). I have not been able to find the imrie nurserymen/seedsmen in ayrshire yet but will keep looking as that looks like a good suggestion. Re the suggestion on george's mother's name you could be right and in addition to Rachel, Mary Ann and Janet he had another 2 daughters Margaret and Agnes Jane.
Colin

Offline cmg414

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that I have found some imrie seed merchants in ayrshire. Charles b 22 dec 1814 and Thomas b 27 oct 1816 both in ayr both nurserymen and seed merchants father Thomas imrie who may have been b 1784 at kirkmichael dumries, son of charles imrie and janet russel. this last part not yet completely sure of yet. Charles and Thomas also had a brother john b 1813 in ayr. 

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 June 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
janets 2 sisters well documented on internet  ellen bell/smith rachel bell /mclean lambton county ontario  christeen

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 06:44 BST (UK) »
15th june 1806  janet daughter to geo bell annd janet hetherton stonebriggs baptized 15th june rachel natural daughter to george ball and janet hetherton baptized 3rd march 1799 in footmansbridge   benjamin sonof george bell and janet hetherington stonebriggs baptized 1st july 1804 charles son to george bell and janet hetheriinton in flosh born ooctober 21st 1818 george son to george bell and janet hetherinton in flosh born born july 3rd 1813 we have never found ellens or marys birth i wll come to richard later as his is different there are possibly more the records are quite bad  christeen