Author Topic: McDill and Dill  (Read 12338 times)

Offline Gall-Ghaidheil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDill and Dill
« on: Thursday 16 June 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
Is there any record of a McDill living in Kirkcudbrightshire having his name changed to Dill? My last name is Dill. A lot of my y-dna haplogroup is found in Kirkcudbrightshire. There were a lot of McDill and Dill recorded in Kirkcudbrightshire during the early censuses. I am looking for any kind of evidence that the McDill and Dill are related.

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDill and Dill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just responded to your first post.
The name McDill & Dill can be the one & the same name. I have a number of the using either name on records. Do you have any names,dates & locations you can post.

Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Gall-Ghaidheil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
My immigrant ancestor is Caleb Dill. He arrived in America about 1730. He was born in the townland of Corry, parish of Clondavaddog, County Donegal, Ireland. Caleb Dill passed away 1756 in what is now known as Burnside, New York, USA. The first recorded Dill in the parish of Clondavaddog, County Donegal, Ireland was John Dill. This John Dill was recorded 1665 on the Hearth Money Roll in the townland of Tullynadall. The surname of Dill did not exist in Ireland before the 17th century. The surname of Dill was brought to Ireland during the Ulster Plantation.

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I'm afraid your period of time is way before mine.My first recorded McDill is my 4xG/father born c1763. I have no record of any movement
to Ireland.
Rgds Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Gall-Ghaidheil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Matt Muir
I was wondering if you can give me any information on your ancestors who used both surnames of McDill and Dill? I am searching for some kind of paper evidence that there is a surname of Dill from McDill. There are some people who have tried to convince me that I have a native Irish ancestor who changed his name to Dill, but that does not make sense to me. They tell me that the surname of Dill is English but not Scottish.
Larry Dill

Offline Gall-Ghaidheil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
The following is the evidence that I got that there were McDill who went by the name of Dill. I appreciate if anybody will give me more evidence: (1) On page 66 of the Parish Lists of Wigtownshire and Minnigaff 1684, there is listed John McDill and his wife, Margrett Coning. Their daughters are listed as Janet and Helen Dills. (2) There was a James McDill who was more commonly known as James Dill. The following is the first sentence from an article on page 4 of the Dumfries & Galloway Standard dated 22 Aug 1896. The article was titled The Fatality at the Caledonian Station: Yesterday an inquiry under the Fatal Accidents Inquiry Act was conducted before Colonel Shortt, honorary Sheriff Substitute and a jury in the Dumfries Sheriff Court, into the circumstances of the accident which occurred at the Caledonian goods yard on 11th Court, through which James McDill (more commonly known as James Dill), a shepherd in the employment of Mr David Steel, farmer, Auchenfranco, Lost his life.

Offline jpanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
Don't know if I can help......
My mothers maiden name is dill and as I have been doing research I have found that her ancestors were originally Mcdill from Wigtownshire, Scotland.

Looking at all the census information they stay Mcdill until john mcdill moves to Sheffield around 1871

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
The original query is over a year old, but here is my comment just for the record.

In the Galloway area of SW Scotland it is quite common to drop the Mc prefix when recording names.

The burial records for Dumfries and Galloway actually record more DILLs than McDILLs and mostly in Kirkcudbrightshire.

Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline larc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Johnner Kid
Thank you for your comment. My last name is Dill. I had my y-dna tested by www.familytreedna.com. Most of my y-dna matches have Scottish names or Irish variations of Scottish names. I have not found any genetic evidence yet that I am related to the McDill. It is possible that I happen to have an English last name?