Author Topic: McDill and Dill  (Read 12337 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDill and Dill
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
Black's Surnames, gives this as a variant of McDowall which has become a fixed surname. John & Michael McDill were followers of the earl of Cassilis and respited for murder 1528, William & Andrew McDill in Perth 1589, David & John M'Dill in Keiris? 1619, Andrew McDill in Carrick 1615, John M'Dill in Largs, Urr 1641 and Andrew McDill, a disorderly person (Covenanter) in Carsphairn 1684.
 A Dill is a witness to a charter in Inverness 1360, the name is still current.

Skoosh.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Johnner Kid
Thank you for your comment. My last name is Dill. I had my y-dna tested by www.familytreedna.com. Most of my y-dna matches have Scottish names or Irish variations of Scottish names. I have not found any genetic evidence yet that I am related to the McDill. It is possible that I happen to have an English last name?
I can't really comment one way or the other regarding the Englishness of the DILL family name.
What I can say is the DILL name is found in SW Scotland in both Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.
I'll use a PM to send you a list of MIs for DILL.   Check the other names on the inscriptions, you might find a connection with names already in your research.
Cheers,
Sy
Modified message:
OPPS, can't use PM you don't as yet have enough posts.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Should have noticed that there are more on than just the one person here with an interest in the DILL family name.  Here is the Full List of 9 MIs.

1. Location:   Glasserton Churchyard, WIG
Erected by George CAMPBELL, Balcraig  In Memory of  His daughter Mary Stewart, who died 2d Augt 1834 aged one year and eight months  Also William his son, who died 17th March 1842 aged 21 years  Also Eliza his daughter, who died 18th May 1842 aged 7 years  Also Janet McKIE, the beloved spouse of the said George CAMPBELL, who departed this life on the 14th April 1846 aged 51 years  And of John their son, who died at Port of Spain, Trinidad, on the 15th December 1859 aged 23 years  Also of Jane their daughter, wife of James B. DILL, Newton Stewart, who died the 24th July 1861 aged 31 years  And of Janet their daughter, who died the 19th November 1861 aged 47 years  The above named George CAMPBELL, died 25th November 1869 aged 88 years

2. Location:   Kirkinner Kirkyard, WIG
Erected by George Bell  Here lays the body of  James BELL, son to George BELL, Smith, in Newton of Baldoon  He died in August 1793 in the 17th year of his age  Also his father, who died the 10th of Sepr 1815 aged 80 years  Also his spouse Isabella DILL, who died the 22nd May 1821 aged 82 years  Also his daughter Elisabeth BELL, who died the 24th January 1840 aged 20 years

3. Location:   Kirkmabreck Cemetery, by Creetown, KKD
Erected by Alexander HAMILTON  In Memory of  His wife Jane DILL, who died at Dalbeattie 27th Aug 1898 aged 38 years, and was interred here  Also their children Peter and Elizabeth HAMILTON, who died in infancy  Also Mary, who died 28th Nov 1918 aged 32 years  Also the erector Alexander HAMILTON, who died 2nd Jan 1936 aged 73 years  Also Barbara, last surviving daughter of the above, born 4-3-97, died 15-12-80, dearly beloved wife of James McKAIN

4. Location:   Newton Stewart (Penninghame Old Graveyard), WIG
 [South side]  Erected 1839  I Thess iv.4  In the faith of the Christian that them which sleep in Jesus will God  bring with Him. And in the humble hope that such will be the lot of both parent and child, this monument is erected by a grateful and affectionate family to the memory of their parents  The Rev. James BLACK, minister of the Parish of Penninghame, who died on the 16th day of May 1826 in the 71st year of his age and 32nd of his ministry  And Isabella PATERSON his wife, who died on the 18th day of July 1814 in the 52nd year of her age  William BLACK M.D. their son, at Bolton-le-moors, Lancashire, on 2nd January 1820 in the 28th year of his age, and is buried here  James BLACK their fourth son, died at Newton Stewart on 20th November 1814 in the 17th year of his age, and is buried here  [North side]  David BLACK their fifth son, died at New Orleans May 1840 in the 36th year of his age, and is buried there  George BLACK their sixth son, died at Montreal, Lower Canada, on the 21st May 1839 in the 31st year of his age, and is buried there  Samuel BLACK their youngest son, died at Glasgow on the 6th October 1844 in the 36th year of his age, and is buried in St David's Churchyard there Edward BLACK D.D., Minister of St Paul's Church, Montreal, Lower Canada, their third son, died at Montreal on 9th May 1845 in the 52nd year of his age, and is buried there  John BLACK, Banker in Wigtown, their eldest son, died on the 19th December 1854 aged 67 years, and is buried at Wigtown  Elizabeth BLACK their eldest daughter, wife of William DILL, Writer, Newton Stewart, died on 5th October 1864 aged 73 years, and is buried in this churchyard Isabella BLACK their youngest daughter, died on 22nd February 1868 aged 66 years, and is buried here  And Janet their second daughter, wife of the Rev. Samuel RICHARDSON D.D., Minister of this Parish, who died 6th July 1871 aged 75 years, and is buried in this churchyard

5. Location:   Newton Stewart (Penninghame Old Graveyard), WIG
Here rest in the hope of joyful resurrection and of blessed immortality through Him who brought life and Immortality to light  the remains of  Elisabeth DILL, who died 31st January 1837 aged 74  Helen McHARG, who died 31st May 1838 aged 71  William DILL, Banker in Newton Stewart, who died 2nd November 1856 aged 64 years  Elisabeth, daughter of James Black DILL, Banker, Newton Stewart, who died 30th November 1860 [?] aged 22 months  James Black DILL, Banker, Newton Stewart, who died at Harrogate on the 4th day of September 1860 aged thirty five years  Jane CAMPBELL, widow of the above James Black DILL, died at Balcraig, Parish of Glasserton, on the 24th July 1861 aged 31 years  Elisabeth BLACK, wife of the above William DILL, who died on the 5th October 1864 aged 79 years

Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Had to split the List Error Message said it was too long. 
Here are the remaining 4 MIs

6. Location:   Sorbie Old Kirkyard, WIG
Here ly  James MURRAY, who died March 4th 1748 aged 71  And Janet KEACHIE, his spouse, who died Decr 10th 1746 aged 59 years  "Altho interred we see the dust here lys,  Their souls we hope are now ye skys.  O happy they in beautifick vision,  Their God enjoy in full fruition"  Here lyes also  Dorothea BROWN, spouse to James MURRAY in Broughton, son to the above, she died Octr 2d 1760 aged 27 years  Also the above James MURRAY, who died 19th Janyr 1797 aged 73 years  And also Jean DILL, his second spouse, who died 18th April 1820 aged 84 years  Here lieth the body of  Janet McKEAND, wife of William MURRAY, son to the above, she departed this life February 17th 1783 aged 73 years

7. Location:   Sorbie Old Kirkyard, WIG
This is the burying place of William DILL in Balsier  Here lyes the corpse of  William DILL, who died the 3d May 1773 aged 99 years  Here lyes the corps of  Jean McCARMICK, his spouse, who died November the 22nd 1755 aged 61 years  Also here lyes the corps of  Jean BLAIN, spouse to William DILL, their son, who died the 23d Decr 1788 aged 60 years  Also Alexr. DILL, their son, who died 7th Decr 1769 aged 5 years  Also William DILL, last mentioned, who died at Machermore of Minnigaff on 20th April 1811 aged 79 years  Also his son, William DILL, writer in Newton Stewart, who died there on 21st January 1821 aged 51 years

8. Location:   Sorbie Old Kirkyard, WIG
In Loving Memory of  Margaret DILL, wife of Alexr. BRYCE, died 5th March 1901 aged 65 years  Alexander BRYCE, died at Torhousekie 11th Novr 1920 aged 75 years

9. Location:   Wigtown (High Cemetery), WIG
In Loving Memory of  Robert Price DILL, beloved husband of Annie WALKER, died 5th March 1971 aged 65 years  Also the above Annie WALKER, died 5th April 1972 aged 56 years  "Always in our thoughts"

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 12 13:35 BST (UK) »
Should have noticed that there are more on than just the one person here with an interest in the DILL family name.  Here is the Full List of 9 MIs.

Well done J K by posting the MI's as opposed to sending them as a PM.
Numbers 3 & 8 both relate to Dill's in my tree that swop between the family name
of Dill & McDill.

Many thanks, Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline dnaseeker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 August 23 02:01 BST (UK) »
I’m also trying to figure out the Dill roots. My great-grandmother was Viola Dill b1917 in Maine, USA.
I have 10% Scottish in my dna on maternal side, and maybe it’s through her?
The chromosome painter on ancestry seems to indicate there’s a recent Scottish relative, because line 2 is all Scottish. So confused. Also, I was adopted