Author Topic: Stewart Alexander Kerr Davies (nee Gibson)  (Read 9307 times)

Offline chezbrunetfrance

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Alexander Kerr Davies (nee Gibson)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about skeletons in the cupboard.  Elizabeth Erskines husband, Charles Drury Holmes' father, went by the name of John all his married life but when he died his death certificate stated Charles Drury Holmes  ???  Funny old world though isn't it  :)

Barbara Ann

Offline angelite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 July 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara Ann  :)

Could you tell me where you found the information on Stewart.  Also, do you know if it was common for the time, to name daughters with such masculine names?  I am trying to work out a connection to another of my ancestors and found that the birth of an illegitimate child was to a woman named William McLaughlin.  There is a register entry for this birth, immediately before the birth of my ancestor and then in a subsequent census, it is mentioned that a William McLaughlin lives with my family as a "hireling" although this person is listed as being male.

Thank you
Angela
Scotland - Devlin/Purdie/Erskine/Findlay/Gibson/Kerr/Davies/McLean/Fulton/Raney/Revey/McKie/Mackie

Ireland - Gunn/McGuire/McCafferty/Murray

Offline chezbrunetfrance

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
The good people on Rootschat helped me with some of it,  the rest I have found on the censuses. Also the internet.  I found the baptism record and it has her down as a boy !!!!!. There is a site called 'Scottish people' that might be able to help more. Like all the sites with the most information you have to pay for it, but it could be worth a try.

Good luck
BarbaraAnn

Offline angelite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you again  :D

I have already spent a small fortune on Scotlands People  ;D, which is where I have found a lot of information and I have tried quite a few avenues to see if I can find Stewart's birth record. No luck so far.

Not sure how far back you have gone with William Erskine's family but I have another 5 generations, back to the late 1600's. If you don't have these already, I would be happy to share.

Angela
Scotland - Devlin/Purdie/Erskine/Findlay/Gibson/Kerr/Davies/McLean/Fulton/Raney/Revey/McKie/Mackie

Ireland - Gunn/McGuire/McCafferty/Murray

Offline chezbrunetfrance

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Oh yes please.  I will try and find the site that showed the baptism of Stewart and her siblings again and let you know what it is.  Sorry I have not been quick to reply but both my parents are in hospital at the moment and by the time I get home from visiting them I am rather tired and have not got the energy to do much.
Look forward to hearing from you,

regards
BarbaraAnn