Author Topic: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862  (Read 19391 times)

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862
« on: Friday 18 May 12 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I would like to find out if William Douglas born abt 1862 maybe in Kelton is the correct one  I have found a birth there for 12 Nov 1862 I also found  him in 1881 Scottish Census for Kelton he is a cabinet maker with Parents   John Douglas born abt 1833 in Keir Dumfrieshire and Mother Jane Miller born abt 1831 in Dumfries I cant find a Marriage  also Grandfather John Douglas born 1799 in Closeburn as stated in census his birthdate is listed as 1799 0n 1851 census also but in 1841 it is listed as 1806  can anyone help me with any details on this Family I have found an entry for a Male Douglas born 21 October 1805 to Stewart Douglas in Closeburn I would appreciate if anyone can help with Births Baptisms Marriages and Deaths for any of these people thank you regards Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

How have you connected to this William Douglas born c. 1862? You need something to at least let you confirm some of the detail you are seeing.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I am sorry I am not very good at explaining myself William  born 1862? is the Son of John Douglas born 1833 in Keir wife is possiblt Jane Miller in the birth I found for William batch no C11869-1 . John the Father of William  is the Brother of my direct ancestor William Douglas born 1834 in Keir Dumfries died in Farlam Cumberland in 1916  there  Father is the John Douglas with the questionable birth date in my 1st message either 1799 or 1805 born in Closeburn wife Charlotte Nivison born abt 1811 Dumfrieshire? she is in the 1841 census and I found a Marriage for them in Closeburn on the 1st january  1832 batch no 7213608 and mentioned in the son Williams marriage in 1855 I dont have any info on her Family thank you for replying to my message kind regards Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

There are numerous trees on A/try, including one called jennifer's tree. Are any of these yours or have you seen them or can access (you need a subsccription)?

Looks like you are on the right track with everything you have so far. I think, if I am reading this right, you need confirmation now of events? The only way really to confirm things properly and let you work back the lines in confidence would be to have a look at some birth, marriage, death certs, available to view online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (costs are reasonable).

To confirm that John 1833 is the brother to your William, you could check his death cert as Scottish death certs include full details on parents' names, if known to the informant. I was going to suggest a marriage cert, but can't easily see a Scottish marriage entry for John and Jane.

The birth cert of William Douglas b. 12 Nov. 1862 in Kelton is also available to view online. This cert should include the date and place of parents' marriage. I can only see one child for John and Jane (Miller).

The family's 1881 shows as:

John Douglas 48 general lab. b. Keir, Dumfrieshire
Jane Douglas 50 b. Dumfries, Dumfrieshire
William Douglas 18, Cabinet Maker b. Castle Douglas
John Douglas 82 father b. Closeburn, Dumfrieshire

Address: Burnside Buildings, Kelton

John Douglas Snr.'s death cert will also be available to view on SP. This will let you reconfirm his wife's surname and his parents' names (if known by informant) and let you work back generations in confidence.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
This looks to be William with parents in 1871, surname badly transcribed. Confirms really no other children for them:

John Coughas 35, Sawyer b. Keir
Jane Coughas 40 b. Dumfries
William Coughas 8 b. Kelton

Address: Queen St, Castle Douglas

Just adding link to previous post for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,463089.msg3445654.html#msg3445654

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you very much for your reply I fwas worried I had the wrong person as I found a 1911 Liverpool census with a William James Born in 1863 in Castle Douglas occupation Cabinet Maker and that is the same job William was doing in the 1881 census so it got me worried  I had the wrong one anyway he must be the same person as I have been searching for days for another one and cant find anyone well you are amazing I am so thrilled you are so quik wow im gobsmacked thsnks again I did try and find some Deaths last year on Scotlands People but couldnt find any I will give it another try look in Kelton right okay I will let you help someone else now I will let you know how I get on at Scoltlands People many warm regards Jennifer oh and yes it is my tree on ancestry my son 's really I am just an editor

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again I have found the right Family for William Douglas he is the one who moved to Liverpool I found his parents death entries on Sccoltlands people today John died on 1 Feb 1892 in Sowerby Place Castle Douglas and Jane nee Miller died 20 Sep 1884 146 King Street Castle Douglas and son William was the witness and his address in Liverpool is there also so thanks again, no luck with Father John Douglas who is my direct ancestor I checked the other Deaths in Kelton no luck there where 2 but not him can you suggest anything where to luck I also looked for his birth and marriage I think he was hatched somewhere lol many thanks for getting me in the right track many regards Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

The death cert you have for William's brother John in 1892, did this show the right parents for your William - John Douglas and Charlotte Nivison? Did father John Douglas show as deceased on son John's death cert?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Just seen on your tree that you have added image for John's 1892 death cert which is helpful  :)

So, John's parents do shows as John Douglas, shepherd and Charlotte Nivison, both deceased.

So window of time for John Snr's death would be 1881-1892 and son John's death.

Monica